Your Book Activity - April 2016

chesilbeach

I wonder if that's down to her writing or the translation?  Good to know, and I'll leave it on the radar for a while, but don't worry about sending me your copy ... I don't have any shelf space for it! :roll:  I might download the sample for Kindle before investing my hard earned cash in it. :D

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea, I think people like that she is a bit whimsy in her writing, there's certainly no formula to it. I'm definitely in a minority so worth giving it a shot. If you change your mind in the next few days let me know, or if anyone else fancies it, I don't mind posting in the UK. :)

I'm about halfway through Our Endless Numbered Days. Good so far.

I went to the library to return To Rise Again at a Decent Hour, and didn't intend to borrow anything. But I figured as I'm there I may as well have a browse...I came away with some great books. :boogie: I got:

Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay (I hope this is the first in the series, as the blurb on the cover wasn't very clear)

Go Set A Watchman - Harper Lee (I wasn't expecting this book to be available for ages!!)

Gillespie and I - Jane Harris (I loved The Observations and have been keeping an eye out for this one)

The Ice Twins - S K Tremayne (wasn't expecting to find this one either. It's been mentioned a couple of times very recently, with differing views).

I also saw Night Film by Marisha Pessl, but I already bought it this morning for £0.99 as a Kindle Daily Deal. I loved Special Topics in Calamity Physics and have been keeping an eye out for this one too).

All in all, a good 'book day'. :D

Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay (I hope this is the first in the series, as the blurb on the cover wasn't very clear)

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!! :D Yes, this is the first novel in the series!! Have you not read the books before, and have you (not?) seen the TV series? So excited to see how you will get on with the book!! This is so exciting, it's been ages since someone I know has tried the books for the first time  :D Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it!! 

Edited by frankie

I watched the series a while ago, which I really enjoyed, but no I haven't read the books. I don't know anything about the books or whether the TV series follows them closely, so it will be interested to see how they compare. I will keep you posted on how I get on. :D

All in all, a good 'book day'. :D

I hope you enjoy all of your new books :D!!

I finished Dorothy Koomson - That Girl From Nowhere (I really enjoyed it). I'm still having problems concentrating, so my next read should be something that I really feel like reading and will hopefully keep me captivated for a bit of time. I don't know yet what it'll be. I've got some errands to run first, so I'll think about it after I'm done with those.

I've decided to try and get back into Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond, which I think I started reading nearly a year ago!

I've also picked up The Portable Atheist, which is a collection of essays selected by Christopher Hitchens spanning a couple of thousand years.

I hope you enjoy all of your new books :D!!

Thanks - I'm sure I will! :D

I've decided to try and get back into Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond, which I think I started reading nearly a year ago!

For some reason, I stopped reading this about 60 pages from the end, because I felt like reading a fiction book. Unfortunately I've never picked it up again (it's on my bedside table!) and it has now been probably a good 6 months! :thud: I will need to finish it, I just hope I haven't forgotten all I have read so far (I don't think I have, except for some of the finer details).

I finished Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller....a good read, but it didn't blow me away. Just to make sure I was reading it right:

Was she pregnant by her father? :o

Next up for me is Beatrice and Virgil, by Yann Martel. I loved Life of Pi, so hope this one is as good.

I watched the series a while ago, which I really enjoyed, but no I haven't read the books. I don't know anything about the books or whether the TV series follows them closely, so it will be interested to see how they compare. I will keep you posted on how I get on. :D

Ah, you've seen the show. Makes it all the more interesting to hear how you feel the books compare to it :cool: Cool cool cool! :D 

No reading activity in days... :unsure: I'm going to rectify that tomorrow! 

I started to read Peter F. Hamilton - Fallen Dragon, it's interesting but I'm "only" on page 72 out of 808 (I didn't really plan on picking such a long book, but I couldn't think of anything else I felt in the mood for. Somehow I didn't really feel like reading most of my books :( ).

I haven't read anything since Thursday as I was away for the weekend, so I'm still on All The Birds in the Sky. Want to try get that finished asap and get back into reading. It's so easy when I haven't read for a few days to slip out of the habit of doing a bit each day. Goodreads says I'm still one book ahead of schedule which isn't too bad. 

I'm nearing the end of Beatrice and Virgil and still can't figure out what it's about. There's got to be a message somewhere in there. :dunno:

I just bought Being Mortal: Illness, Medicine and What Happens in the End by Atul Gawande. I'm very curious about him and hear him mentioned now and then, so as it was on offer.... :smile:

Just finished Landfalls (by Naomi Williams). Beautifully written novel based around the Laperouse Expedition to the Pacific at the end of the 18th century. One of the best book group choices for ages.  5 out of 6 stars.

Edited by willoyd

I spotted these while I was in Galway and decided to order a few when I got home. These are only four out of a much bigger collection (called "Pulp! Classics"). There's a Pride & Prejudice one I want too with Colin Firth on, but it was out of stock so I'm just waiting for Book Depository to notify me when it's back in stock! I absolutely love these books though, can't wait to get them!

post-4797-0-75032500-1461063402_thumb.png

I also went out last night for a few drinks with my housemate, and the guy whose family runs a local chipper (an institution in Cork), was at the bar. Had no idea who he was but got chatting over a book about Cork he had with him and he offered to let me borrow it once I drop it back into the bar within a couple weeks! So kind! Seems really interesting.

I spotted these while I was in Galway and decided to order a few when I got home. These are only four out of a much bigger collection (called "Pulp! Classics"). There's a Pride & Prejudice one I want too with Colin Firth on, but it was out of stock so I'm just waiting for Book Depository to notify me when it's back in stock! I absolutely love these books though, can't wait to get them!

I like those covers :). How nice of the guy to let you borrow the book. 

Now starting The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. I really, really want to like this...

I hope you like this :). I really liked it, but that doesn't mean you will. I hope the book doesn't let you down.

I'm still reading Peter F. Hamilton - Fallen Dragon, I'm now a quarter of the way through (~25%). My reading hasn't been great the past few weeks, but I'm not sure what to do to fix it. Hopefully it will be better in a while.

Now starting The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. I really, really want to like this...

Oooh, I hope you like it. It's a very sweet story. :smile:

I read nearly 100 pages of The Road to Little Dribbling today. An unexpected but welcome burst of reading. It's so easy to get absorbed in Bryson's writing. :)

I'm waiting for this to be available from the library. I take it, it's up to his usual high standards? :boogie:

I am about half way through The Murder  House by James Patterson got to say I am finding this hard going which surprises me as I normally race through his books.  Also reading Death by Invitation Jaden Skye I thought this series had finished I am so pleased there are more as they are very easy going.

I too have got The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson - looking forward to reading this one.