Your Book Activity - April 2016

chesilbeach

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a big bogged down with Cold Comfort Farm - no fault of the book but of other things going on - so have swapped to And The Mountains Echoed (Khaled Hosseini), which I need to read by Monday evening for my book group. 

Treated to a couple of books this week by OH:  Raptor by James Macdonald Lockhart, and Vanessa Bell by Frances Spalding.  The list of books acquired this year grows rather more rapidly than the pile actually read!

I am going to be reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon today! I started it earlier in the week and have fallen in love with the Scottish Highlands as well as all of the Highlanders :)

Hey all,

I know it's been a long time between posts..Will kick myself later for it.

Anyway, halfway into The last Juror by John Grisham and today I started reading Career of evil by Robert Galbraith which I have realised is the final book in a series...Oh well I've started it now, that will teach me to read the back of the book before I start reading the book itself.

Shelfy

Completed And The Mountains Echoed in double quick time - effectively two longish stints.  A rattling good story told from various perspectives.  Whilst some reviewers disliked it for this, I loved the way the main thread of the story was often told almost incidentally as other lives and events moved in, touched, and moved away again.  Back to Cold Comfort Farm, which I really must give more space.

Finished Stephen Kings The Wastelands, enjoyed it more this time round, next up another Stephen King re read Desperation

desp_zpsyu1jwqdl.jpg

Oh my god, even the cover looks spooky :o.

Finished my Jeaniene Frost book today. :) Don't know yet what to read next.

I finished The Nightingale.... I loved it, and am giving it four stars. I'm docking a star because I think it took on too much for one book, and the way it skipped months or years made it lack depth - it felt like the whole thing happened over a period of months. 

Starting Time Present and Time Past for my Irish Counties Challenge by Deirdre Madden. Short book, so hope to read it today, along with finishing It Came From The North.

I also just bought The Ice Twins because I'm in the mood for a good creepy thriller and it was only 99p or 1.99 on Kindle. I bought it like five minutes ago and I can't remember. *shrug*

ETA 8.5 hours later: Finished Time Present and Time Past! If I can get through two short stories and get going on The Ice Twins, I'll be very happy with my weekend of reading!

I'm about three quarters of the way through The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer now, but I also downloaded the audiobook of A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor today and started listening to that. I've already read the book, but have been listening to the series again while waiting for the next book in the series to be published. :D

I'm loving Ira Levin right now and hope to start This Perfect Day today, although I am a little burned out from 3 days of read a thon (I did Thursday- Saturday).

Finished Cold Comfort Farm at a gallop. Don't know what to think about this: I really enjoyed it the first time I read it, but found the first 80-100 pages a bit of a struggle this time. By the end I was loving it, and ready to give it the full six!  Compromise on five (which is what I gave it last time), and wait and see what I think about it longer term.  Unusually for me, whilst most is just a smiler, there were one or two scenes (The Counting!) which were laugh out loud comedy.

Bought quite a few books for my reader over the weekend. 

The Wonder Cat Mysteries - Harper Lin

Death by Invitation - Jaden Skye

Cape Bay Mysteries - Harper Lin

Going to give these a rest for a week or two while I finish my other books and start A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor.  Really liking this series of books.

Noll and Shirley, I hope you both enjoy your new purchase(s).

I'm re-reading James Clemens - The Banned and the Banished 1: Wit'ch Fire. I picked it up, not intending to re-read it but to read a few pages to see what it was like, and I was hooked. I've only read it once but this is one of my favourite fantasy series. I'm only on page 44 but I'm loving it so far.

Today I bought Behind Closed Doors by B. A. Paris as it's only 99p on Kindle and I saw a few rave reviews from people in a Facebook book club I'm in.

Started The Ice Twins last night but I was borderline unconscious I made need to reread those first 8 pages again this evening :roll:

I finished The Asylum this morning and loved it.  John Harwood writes creepy like few can, and this one is tops! :D

I believe I'll start the new Chevalier next - At the Edge of the Orchard.

I started Ira Levin's dystopian A This Perfect Day yesterday afternoon and am about 150 pages in.

Don't know what is next, but I feel a Philippa Gregoy craving coming on! Of course, it could always be another Levin, I am in love :)

I finished Half Lost, the last book in Sally Green's Half Bad trilogy, it was ok but the weakest of the three books, and I didn't like the ending, always a disappointment after investing in a book series. :(

I'm not sure what to read next, I need to peruse my shelves, I really should read something I've had awhile. :)