Roald Dahl

Kylie

As far as I can see, we don't have a specific thread for the wonderful Roald Dahl, so I thought I'd start one up.

This coming Thursday 13 September is Roald Dahl's birthday and it's also Roald Dahl Day! And if that doesn't sound like an invitation to spend the day reading Roald Dahl books, I don't know what does! Anyone else care to join me?

I'm thinking of reading Danny, the Champion of the World, which I have on my TBR pile but have never gotten around to reading. Or maybe I should re-read an old favourite like The Twits or George's Marvellous Medicine. I'm spoilt for choice!

Has anybody read his autobiography? It's in 2 parts; Boy, Tales Of Childhood, and Flying Solo. They're great

I've read Boy, don't think I've read the other one though.

My favourite Roald Dahl book has to be The BFG. And I also love the animated film too.

Yes, I've read both Boy and Going Solo. I particularly enjoyed the latter; what a remarkable life he led!

Yay!! Somebody has read it :D I liked the bit in Going Solo, can't remember when it is, when

his plane is on fire, and he's describing the messages going between his legs and his brain:

Le: we're...a bit....warm down....here.......

bit later:

Br: the...plane...is...on...fire...Move, you...:(...fool!

it makes me lol!!:):D

James and the giant peach was the first book (long book with chapters I mean) I ever read by myself and I loved it. I also loved Charlie and the chocolate factory. The only other one I read was the twits and I didn't like it. I thought it seemed really rushed and unimaginative. Rik Mayall reading George's marvellous medicine on Jackanory is an absolute TV classic.

• 3 weeks later...
I absolutely love Roald Dahl. My favourites are George's Marvellous medicine, The Witches and The Magic Finger.

Thanks for reminding me of The Witches:blush:, Icecream. It's a very clever book I'll have to check out for my nephew! From what I can remember when I was his age, reading it in my free time in third or fourth grade, adults can chuckle at its jokes about taking baths:lol:, and kids can enjoy wondering what will happen to the little boy.

What was the Roald Dahl book involving a little girl, a giant, and a world where the fizz bubbles go down instead of up:sign0163:?

I love all of the Dahl children's books that I've read (which is more or less all of them). They have some great characters in them and Blake's illustrations are wonderful. I also like Dahl's books of Tales of the Unexpected.

• 1 year later...

I just started to read Roald Dahl this month, I'm working at the public library here in Kununurra (Western Australia) and they have a lot of his books. I just wanted to read Charlie and the chocolate factory but it was so good that I go on reading all the other books I can lay my hands on.

I bought My Uncle Oswald last Friday and I started reading it today and I have to say I was quite surprised at the contents, having only read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory before. His books for adults seem a bit ... daring?

In the introduction text it says that it's not uncommon for Roald Dahl to have a section of his own in British bookstores (same goes for Beatrix Potter). Is that true? :)

• 1 month later...
Revolting rhymes. Wonderful. We used to have a lecturer at college who, every now and again, would start our doctrine lecture with one of these! Didn't remember the doctrine but did the rhyme :D

My Dad loved Revolting Rhymes. When I was little he would get me to read them out to him after dinner, he used to laugh so much he could barely speak. :D

I used to love Roald Dahl. I had (in fact, I can't remember if they're still with me :D) Matilda, The Witches and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. In Year Two our teacher read Fantastic Mr Fox to us- I thought it was quite good. I've also read The Twits- great fun.