Your Book Activity - March 2016

Athena

I'm enjoying A Little Life. Has anyone read this? It's pretty full on in terms of emotional pain and depressing lives!! :o

Ooh depressing, sounds like my kind of book. Not sure what it says about me but I quite like a morose tale, will look forward to hearing what you think of it when you finish! :)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely overriding all my feeble attempts to restrict book acquisition, I had a bit of a go in Waterstones today, and came away with 5 books. Pure retail therapy!

Couldn't resist:

Vanessa and Her Sister by Priya Parmar

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler (part of my US Challenge)

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver (ditto)

My Life in Houses by Margaret Forster

Channel Short by Tom Fort

I keep picking up Vanessa and her Sister in Waterstones but it hasn't made it till the till as yet, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

I finished Disclaimer by Renee Knight, a book I wasn't planning to read but was given to me by a friend, I was surprised to enjoy it as I tend to avoid thrillers these days.

I've now picked up The Ballroom by Anna Hope, I loved her wartime story, Wake, from last year so I have high hopes of loving this too. It is set in an asylum in 1911, I've always found books set in this era fascinating, and books set in asylums/sanatoriums too, so on paper it is my perfect book! :)

I bought 2 new books today:

Shatter me and Unravel me by Tahereh Mafi. Don't know yet whether I should directly buy the 3rd book or wait until I read the others :(. Does anyone know if there's a cliffhanger in the end of Unravel me?

Completely overriding all my feeble attempts to restrict book acquisition, I had a bit of a go in Waterstones today, and came away with 5 books. Pure retail therapy!

I hope you enjoy your new books :)

I bought 2 new books today:

Shatter me and Unravel me by Tahereh Mafi. Don't know yet whether I should directly buy the 3rd book or wait until I read the others :(. Does anyone know if there's a cliffhanger in the end of Unravel me?

I hope you enjoy your new books :). I haven't read the Shatter Me series yet, so I can't answer your question unfortunately, though I do own the books (I plan to read the series some day..).

I am actually reading a book without audio today! I am 20% in Brandon Sanderson's Calamity and bought The Bell Jar this morning for 2 dollars.

Woohoo! I'm glad you were able to read some in Calamity and I hope you enjoy The Bell Jar :).

I finished with The Skull Throne and started reading a library loan, Gonneke Huizing - Fleur: Cito-stress, Turntoppers & Brugpiepers. I'm only on page 26 though. I read book 2 in this series (or really, what I call book 1 is an omnibus of books 1 & 2 I think, and book 2 an omnibus of books 3 & 4? Or & 5? There isn't much information to be found on these books), and I liked it. I don't know if I'll like this first book just as much though, so far it seems a bit more "childish" if that makes sense (well, the main character is younger in this one). But maybe it's just because I just read a book for adults with lots of complexer writing and many characters. It is nice though to read something easier :). I'm glad I finally finished with The Skull Throne.

I'm enjoying A Little Life. Has anyone read this? It's pretty full on in terms of emotional pain and depressing lives!! :o

I haven't read it but it's on my wishlist. Oh boy :o But I'm glad you're enjoying it nonetheless!! 

I finished Disclaimer by Renee Knight, a book I wasn't planning to read but was given to me by a friend, I was surprised to enjoy it as I tend to avoid thrillers these days.

Really happy to hear you liked it especially since you're not a thrilled thriller reader these days. I thought this was on par with the widely popular The Girl on the Train. :) 

I've managed to get to page 120 of What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty! I might actually finish a book this month :D 

Yesterday I read The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan, a name that's popping up a lot lately in Ireland much like Louise O'Neill and Sara Baume. Not really my kind of thing style wise, as it tells a story from the perspective of almost twenty different people, one chapter per person. But the writing and characterization were superb, so I'm looking forward to trying something else by Donal.

I've started A Parachute in the Lime Tree by Annemarie Neary, my fourth Irish Counties Challenge book this month so making good progress with that, and am also still reading Hollow City, which has improved quite a bit since the bit with the silly animals.

Really happy to hear you liked it especially since you're not a thrilled thriller reader these days. I thought this was on par with the widely popular The Girl on the Train. :)

I've managed to get to page 120 of What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty! I might actually finish a book this month :D

I've not tried The Girl on the Train, I rarely pick up a book that has been so hyped as I invariably find that I expect too much from it. I need to get in before the hype! :)

I have What Alice Forgot on my TBR, I think it is one I have highlighted to try and read this year.

I've not tried The Girl on the Train, I rarely pick up a book that has been so hyped as I invariably find that I expect too much from it. I need to get in before the hype! :)

:lol: You need to be quick on your feet then! I do understand though, sometimes I'm the same with hugely hyped books. :)

I have What Alice Forgot on my TBR, I think it is one I have highlighted to try and read this year.

I'm enjoying it so far :yes: I'm not sure if it'll be as good as the other two books I've read by Moriarty but those were pretty awesome. Surely this will be great, too! :)

Oops that didn't work quite right.meant to add a comment with that quote,oh well.

Thanks, I will bear that in mind.I must admit round Ireland with a fridge is what drew me to his books in the first place.from reading the back it appealed to my humour/mentality.

I don't know if they are owt like one another but Dave gormans done some cracking good/laugh out loud books

I've only read Are You Dave Gorman? by him, but enjoyed it.  Humour's such a difficult thing to judge, so all I can say is I enjoyed both writers books. :)

I actually finished Once Upon A Time In The West... Country today, and it was a very satisfying, entertaining book. :D

Ooh depressing, sounds like my kind of book. Not sure what it says about me but I quite like a morose tale, will look forward to hearing what you think of it when you finish! :)

Well, this one will fit the bill then, because it's pretty depressing. :giggle2: I'm just under the halfway mark, and it could either have a really sad ending or a really happy ending.

I'm nearly halfway through An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth, and I've started Emily St John Mandel's Station Eleven.

Loved Station Eleven. I hope you like it even half as much as I did!!

I haven't read it but it's on my wishlist. Oh boy :o But I'm glad you're enjoying it nonetheless!!

Yeah, it's a bit full-on, but in a good way. :o

I finished my Vampire Academy book 10min ago. This book had such an horrible ending, I hate books with this nasty cliffhangers. :( You'd actually like to go sleeping but you feel like you HAVE to continue reading. Whatsever, I'll force myself to go to bed now and try not to grab the following book out of my shelf. I think I'll fail :D

Today I couldn't stop myself from buying more books (it's such a great activity :D ). I finally bought 7 books which is quite a good number, I think. In total I bought 10 books this month. Not too much so I won't have to justify buying more in April :)

Today I couldn't stop myself from buying more books (it's such a great activity :D ). I finally bought 7 books which is quite a good number, I think. In total I bought 10 books this month. Not too much so I won't have to justify buying more in April :)

Which ones did you get?

I finished Lauren Oliver - Liesl & Po (Dutch) yesterday and started to read Maria V. Snyder - Storm Watcher. It's a very different book from her YA books (I love all those I've read, and have some still on my TBR; I haven't read the YA dystopian duology but I did read 6 of her YA fantasy books, with some more on my TBR), this one is contemporary fiction for children (I think), but I'm enjoying it a lot. It involves dogs, so that's always a plus (unless there is animal cruelty involved or such).

Which ones did you get?I

I bought the complete Legend-trilogy by Marie Lu (soo excited about this) , Ignite me by Tahereh Mafi (yeah I decided I need this book before I start reading the other two books, that I bought two days ago :D ). I got the 7th (the last) book of the cat and bones series by Jeaniene Frost (In German it's called "Verlockung der Nacht", don't know its English name). And I bought Mystic-city #1+2 (German) by Theo Lawrence.

I got most of them on Amazon so I have to wait for delivery...and now it's almost Easter. (Amazon says I'll geht them next Thursday, that's waaay too much waiting time :( )

Yet I didn't know Lauren Oliver has written anything but the delirium trilogy. What kind of book is it?

Edited by LankaDivore

I bought the complete Legend-trilogy by Marie Lu (soo excited about this) , Ignite me by Tahereh Mafi (yeah I decided I need this book before I start reading the other two books, that I bought two days ago :D ). I got the 7th (the last) book of the cat and bones series by Jeaniene Frost (In German it's called "Verlockung der Nacht", don't know its English name). And I bought Mystic-city #1+2 (German) by Theo Lawrence.

I got most of them on Amazon so I have to wait for delivery...and now it's almost Easter. (Amazon says I'll geht them next Thursday, that's waaay too much waiting time :( )

Yet I didn't know Lauren Oliver has written anything but the delirium trilogy. What kind of book is it?

I quite liked the Legend trilogy :). I haven't yet read the Shatter Me series though I do own the books. Awww :( I hope you will get them sooner! I hope you enjoy all your new books :).

Liesl & Po is a children's fantasy story (some would call it 'middle-grade'). It's quite different from the Delirium trilogy. It's about a girl, Liesl, who meets a ghost named Po. They live in a world where alchemists do magic (but the world is the same as this one, in the sense that several real world countries were mentioned). Liesl is locked up in the attic by her stepmother. Her father just died. The box with the ashes of her father accidentally gets swapped with a box of magic.

Lauren Oliver also wrote Before I Fall, which is a YA contemporary fiction story about a girl who relives the last day of her life over and over again. I liked it, not as much as the Delirium trilogy but it was an enjoyable book for me.

Ahhh thanks for the explanation Athena. I think I saw before I fall on Amazon. Sound really interesting :)

You're welcome :).

I decided to read John Green - Paper Towns next. I've seen the film, so I know largely what's going to happen (if the book and the film are at least somewhat similar). So far I'm enjoying the book.

I bought the complete Legend-trilogy by Marie Lu (soo excited about this

I hope you like this trilogy as much as I did, it sticks in my mind as such a good experience of last year.

I am switching off with Brandon Sanderson's Calamity and Sylvia Plath'S The Bell Jar.

I'm reading a collection of Finnish Speculative short stories called It Came From The North, suggested by someone I was talking to recently. I have another Swedish collection called Jagannath recommended by the same person. Liking the former so far, I'm about halfway through the stories.