Your Book Activity - March 2016

Athena

I think to do Miss P justice you would need to read it in book form rather than kindle, the photos are what makes it so special. :)

Ah, thanks for that.  I had no idea there were pictures in it.  I shall take your advice.  :)

The Kindle edition has the photos in it, I read it on my tablet :) I do however now want to purchase a hardcopy of it :D

There are lots of fantastic photographs, in fact the story is written around them. :)

Yep. I had no idea of that either to start with - and the photos really are stunning. Really unusual.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have abandoned The Abominable about 100 pages from the end, because the plot twists were....abominable. :doh::D I skimmed through to the ending....what a long, and mostly tedious read. It could have been condensed into a novel half the size. The detail about the mountain climb was phenomenal, but there were literally 400 pages of nothing but repetitive mountain climbing jargon. :thud: I was hoping it would improve, but it didn't. Oh, and the blurb on the dust jacket was so misleading.  :sarcastic:  Maybe I will get around to reviewing it eventually, though I'm not doing well with those this year.  :blush2:

Awww, such a shame :(. I don't own The Abominable but I own other books by the author. That said, I loved the first two Hyperion books (you read them too, I think?).

I bought The Last Girl, Book one of the Dominion Trilogy.  It was on sale for 6 dollars and the immersion was 2.  Score!

I hope you enjoy this :)!

I didn't read at all in The Skull Throne yesterday. I did however go to a library sale, borrowed some library books and started to organise my new book case :D.

Awww, such a shame :(. I don't own The Abominable but I own other books by the author. That said, I loved the first two Hyperion books (you read them too, I think?).

Yeah, I completely forgot he wrote the Hyperion books until I was looking at reviews of The Abominable. I've read the first Hyperion one (which was divided into 5 or so stories about the main characters), but haven't read any others. I have Carrion Comfort on my Kindle...from what I gather his books are very varied so it's easy to hate one but love the next one. :dunno:

I have read the first story in Hyperion and loved it, but didn't fare as well with the second story and gave up. I do own another of Simmons' books called Drood, which I've yet to get to because it's huge.

Started reading Once Upon A Time In The West... Country by Tony Hawks yesterday, and I love it.  I genuinely laughed out loud  reading it in the coffee shop yesterday morning and had to embarrassedly hide my continuing chuckles in case people thought I was nuts.  Another laugh out loud moment later in the evening, but at least that was in the privacy of my own home! :lol::blush:

I have a few Tony hawks on the pile that I ain't read.one hit Wonderland and around Ireland with a fridge I think.I may make one my next amusing reads to be him.

Started Two cows and a vanful of smoke by Peter Benson last night.will b keeping the eye out for more of his in the future.

I have a few Tony hawks on the pile that I ain't read.one hit Wonderland and around Ireland with a fridge I think.I may make one my next amusing reads to be him.

Started Two cows and a vanful of smoke by Peter Benson last night.will b keeping the eye out for more of his in the future.

I've removed your double post :).

Finished Howards End this morning. I was a bit worried, as for much of it I was only able to read in short bursts. This sort of book needs time to grow on you, and I wasn't doing it justice. Fortunately, I had time to read the last quarter in one sitting today, and it flowed oh so beautifully. I have memories of A Room With A View being enjoyable but a bit obscure in places. This was nothing of the sort. My only problem is whether to rate it at 5 or 6 stars. Will leave it at 5 for the present, and see how the book sits with me for a week or two, i.e. is it just 'excellent', or is it actually 'a favourite'?

Actually, there is another problem. I find it so hard to pick up a book after a particularly good read, and I'm a bit perplexed about where to go next. Will go and have a browse!

Edited by willoyd

Round Ireland With A Fridge is my favourite of those two - I did enjoy One Hit Wonderland but I would say start with the other first. :)

Started reading Once Upon A Time In The West... Country by Tony Hawks yesterday, and I love it.  I genuinely laughed out loud  reading it in the coffee shop yesterday morning and had to embarrassedly hide my continuing chuckles in case people thought I was nuts.  Another laugh out loud moment later in the evening, but at least that was in the privacy of my own home! :lol::blush:

As you know, this is on my wish list.  I was tempted by it in Waterstone's today but I put it back for another day.  I have ordered Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs though.  :)

Peter and I have listened to five-and-a-bit CDs of After the Funeral by Agatha Christie in the car this weekend and I'm on track 151/366 of South Riding by Winifred Holtby.  I've also started Greenmantle by John Buchan on my Kindle!

I've just finished The Cider House Rules by John Irving - my first 5 star read of the year! The characters got right under my skin and refused to leave. 700 pages of delight. 

Actually, although I've awarded a fair few 3s, I am yet to award anything lower this year so far. Excellent stuff. 

Like Willoyd, I always find it difficult after a 5 star read, but I've dived into My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier because it's due back at the library. ;) Also listening to Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper in preparation for reading The Dark is Rising. I do hate reading books out of order :D 

:P I'm really enjoying it so far, helped by a wonderful narrator. Sadly I'm working from home until Wednesday so will be taking a small break from it.

It's set in Cornwall though so I'm wondering how we get to Buckinghamshire for part two!

Halfway through Hollow City, the second Miss Peregrine, and not enjoying it half as much as the first. Too much silly fantasy, unfounded wishy washy romance and repetition. Will finish it, but if it doesn't improve probably won't bother with the third book. Disappointing :(

Halfway through Hollow City, the second Miss Peregrine, and not enjoying it half as much as the first. Too much silly fantasy, unfounded wishy washy romance and repetition. Will finish it, but if it doesn't improve probably won't bother with the third book. Disappointing :(

I wasn't so keen on the second book either but felt it was redeemed by the third in the series. I don't think either was ever as good as the first but the third did make the series complete for me and explained everything that had happened along the way. :)

I wasn't so keen on the second book either but felt it was redeemed by the third in the series. I don't think either was ever as good as the first but the third did make the series complete for me and explained everything that had happened along the way. :)

Is there less of the things I mentioned, in the third book? :P

Is there less of the things I mentioned, in the third book? :P

I didn't notice any repetition, in fact I struggled to keep up with all the new information! I think less romance, not so sure about how much fantasy is too much fantasy for you but I am not usually a fan of fantasy and I coped ok. Not sure if that was any help?! :D :D

I didn't notice any repetition, in fact I struggled to keep up with all the new information! I think less romance, not so sure about how much fantasy is too much fantasy for you but I am not usually a fan of fantasy and I coped ok. Not sure if that was any help?! :D :D

Haha sorry. The repetition is mostly yer man pondering whats happening back home over and over. The fantasy is things like

armageddon chickens, emu-raffe and a talking dog. Its just silly childish fantasy, not sensible well-thought-out stuff. Childish/silly isnt bad inherently, some people love it and that's fine, but I can't stand it!

Oops that didn't work quite right.meant to add a comment with that quote,oh well.

Thanks, I will bear that in mind.I must admit round Ireland with a fridge is what drew me to his books in the first place.from reading the back it appealed to my humour/mentality.

I don't know if they are owt like one another but Dave gormans done some cracking good/laugh out loud books

Halfway through Hollow City, the second Miss Peregrine, and not enjoying it half as much as the first. Too much silly fantasy, unfounded wishy washy romance and repetition. Will finish it, but if it doesn't improve probably won't bother with the third book. Disappointing :(

I hope it will get better :(.

Completely overriding all my feeble attempts to restrict book acquisition, I had a bit of a go in Waterstones today, and came away with 5 books. Pure retail therapy!

Couldn't resist:

Vanessa and Her Sister by Priya Parmar

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler (part of my US Challenge)

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver (ditto)

My Life in Houses by Margaret Forster

Channel Short by Tom Fort