Your Book Activity - March 2016

Athena

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Film Freak today ... not sure what I made of it, really.  I'll mull it over before I write my review :D

I've also started listening to The Very First Damned Thing by Jodi Taylor (who is also narrating it) which is one of the short stories she's written to fit in amongst the Chronicles of St Mary's series.  This one is like an origin story of how St Mary's came into being. :)

Finished Long Time, No See by Demot Healy (thank god - I liked it but it was ultimately pointless and a bit of a slog) - and thanks to the trailer going around I've just started Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.

Oh wow, I thought it ended with book three. I'd heard book 2 wasn't great, and book 3 was good but not as good as book 1. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts!

There are supposed to be 5 books in the series in total, when it's done. I liked book 1 the most. I started reading the series as they came out (paperback release), it's been 2 years since I read book 3. I'm a bit confused about what's happened and who some of the characters are. Gladly there is a glossary / dictionary in the back and I'm referring to it quite a bit (but it does take the flow out of reading). The book is allright so far but I'm not blown away yet to be honest. I've read about 100 pages in it and it's got about 650 so there's still plenty of pages to make up for it. I'm going to continue with it and see if I remember more or it will get more interesting and clear. It's allright so far though, there was one section in particular I enjoyed, but I'm not blown away by it yet.

...and thanks to the trailer going around I've just started Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.

My Mum posted the official movie poster of it on my Facebook this morning.  It's on my wish list - I'm definitely going to have to read it before the film!

My Mum posted the official movie poster of it on my Facebook this morning.  It's on my wish list - I'm definitely going to have to read it before the film!

I'm half-way through and loving it so far, but I'm fussy about fantasy stuff so that could change! :)

Fingers crossed then, Noll. :)

I finished A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman today.   What a book...  :wibbly:  :wub:

I also listened to disc 5 of South Riding by Winifred Holtby.  It's wonderful - it's making me want to get out there and walk!

I finished the latest Elizabeth George A Banquet of Consequences on Wednesday.  Loved it as usual, although I'm not sure about the end.

I've now started Wally Lamb I Know This Much is True. I've seen it mentioned on here a bit and spotted it when looking for something else at the library so grabbed it.  It's great so far.  

Fingers crossed then, Noll. :)

I finished A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman today.   What a book...  :wibbly:  :wub:

Finished Miss Peregrine and loved it - had no idea there were two more already-published installments in the, apparent, trilogy. Delighted!

I keep hearing about Ove, everywhere, maybe I should give him a go...

I forgot to say yesterday that I bought some new books:

The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan

Once Upon A Time In The West... Country by Tony Hawks

Perijee and Me by Ross Montgomery.

I think that'll be it for my book buying for a while now.  My TBR is creeping up a bit too much for my liking, so I want to concentrate on reading what I've got and hopefully will be able to whittle it down a bit before the summer.

This morning I've finished Rain: Four Walks in English Weather and made a start on The Gracekeepers.

There are supposed to be 5 books in the series in total, when it's done. I liked book 1 the most. I started reading the series as they came out (paperback release), it's been 2 years since I read book 3. I'm a bit confused about what's happened and who some of the characters are. Gladly there is a glossary / dictionary in the back and I'm referring to it quite a bit (but it does take the flow out of reading). The book is allright so far but I'm not blown away yet to be honest. I've read about 100 pages in it and it's got about 650 so there's still plenty of pages to make up for it. I'm going to continue with it and see if I remember more or it will get more interesting and clear. It's allright so far though, there was one section in particular I enjoyed, but I'm not blown away by it yet.

It's got better :). The story is more interesting now and I know much better who's who. I'm enjoying the book.

Finished Miss Peregrine and loved it - had no idea there were two more already-published installments in the, apparent, trilogy. Delighted!

I keep hearing about Ove, everywhere, maybe I should give him a go...

Miss Peregrine is a bit pricey on Kindle so I'm umhing and ahing a bit...!  I might see if I can get it from the library.  :)

I thought 'Ove' was great! It's a quick read. It put me a bit in mind of The Rosie Project - the writing style more than anything. :)

I think that'll be it for my book buying for a while now.  My TBR is creeping up a bit too much for my liking, so I want to concentrate on reading what I've got and hopefully will be able to whittle it down a bit before the summer.

My book-buying seems to have got a bit out of hand so far this year!  I have acquired 15 new books so far - the last of which (on Wednesday) was The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss

I already said this on GR... But I have to say it again on here: I'm so pleased you loved the book! :smile2: A great one, innit? 

Edit: There's a movie of it, too. Haven't seen it myself yet. I hope it's good. 

I've started reading What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. I have a feeling this book might bring my mojo back. Fingers crossed! 

Edited by frankie

I already said this on GR... But I have to say it again on here: I'm so pleased you loved the book! :smile2: A great one, innit? 

Edit: There's a movie of it, too. Haven't seen it myself yet. I hope it's good.

I saw today that there is a film.  I'm not sure if I fancy it really - just in case it doesn't do it justice.  I wasn't sure about the book to start with but it quickly grew on me!  :D

Miss Peregrine is a bit pricey on Kindle so I'm umhing and ahing a bit...! I might see if I can get it from the library. :)

I think to do Miss P justice you would need to read it in book form rather than kindle, the photos are what makes it so special. :)

I just finished reading The Sea-Wolf by Jack London. I give it a 9/10 rating. Initially, I had a hard time getting into the book but the more I read the more I enjoyed it. The first half of the book had some brutal moments but then I realized it was leading up to a life or death situation by two of the main characters that learned how to survive and do so without sacrificing their sense of good over evil (Wolf Larsen). 

A snippet from the book;

The bonds of the flesh had little part in my cosmos of love. But I was learning the sweet lesson for myself that the soul transmuted itself, expressed itself, through the flesh; that the sight and sense and touch of the loved one’s hair was as much breath and voice and essence of spirit as the light that shone from the eyes and the thoughts that fell from the lips. After all, pure spirit was unknowable, a thing to be sensed and divined only; nor could it express itself in terms of itself.

Edited by muggle not

I've started reading What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. I have a feeling this book might bring my mojo back. Fingers crossed!

I hope it for you :).

I'm just past halfway now in Peter V. Brett - The Demon Cycle 4: The Skull Throne. It's enjoyable, but it does require some processing power so I can't read it for too long at a time (to be fair to the book, I have been mentally exhausted the past few days, so that doesn't help).

I have abandoned The Abominable about 100 pages from the end, because the plot twists were....abominable. :doh::D I skimmed through to the ending....what a long, and mostly tedious read. It could have been condensed into a novel half the size. The detail about the mountain climb was phenomenal, but there were literally 400 pages of nothing but repetitive mountain climbing jargon. :thud: I was hoping it would improve, but it didn't. Oh, and the blurb on the dust jacket was so misleading.  :sarcastic:  Maybe I will get around to reviewing it eventually, though I'm not doing well with those this year.  :blush2:

I've made a start on A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, which is promising so far.

I've also purchased The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu and Ken Liu. It was a Kindle Daily Deal, and I recognised the title immediately as something I've been after for a while, but I can't for the life of me remember how it got onto my wishlist.