Your Book Activity - March 2016

Athena

:exc: :exc: :exc:

To Rise Again was one of my favourite books from last year! It's a challenging read (in my opinion), it meanders a lot and is very whimsical so it takes a while to get into that. My signature quote is from it. I really hope y'all enjoy it - I'll be looking forward to opinions!

I thought you had read it but wasn't sure. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. The premise sounds like something right up my street. :D

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you had read it but wasn't sure. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. The premise sounds like something right up my street. :D

The premise makes it sound a bit like it's gonna be some kind of thriller or psychological dark fiction, with identity theft or a doppleganger theme. It's neither. It's basically a giant meandering monologue. I loved it, but it wasn't even remotely what I expected!

I'm nearly finished Coldbrook, wahey! It's been good but I'm finding myself starting to skim now. It's all just zombie death and destruction. Hoping to get it finished tonight. :)

Finished Only Ever Yours a few days ago, I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads but it may well go up to a 5 on reflection, definitely at least a 4.5! :)  It wasn't the easiest of reads so now going for something lighter and fluffier in The Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan. :)

I'm almost finished with Mobile Library by David Whitehouse, but I'm close to just skimming to the end as I'm not finding it "quietly profound" or "genuinely compelling" as the quotes on the cover tell me it is.  I've got about 60 pages left ...

Finished Only Ever Yours a few days ago, I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads but it may well go up to a 5 on reflection, definitely at least a 4.5! :)  It wasn't the easiest of reads so now going for something lighter and fluffier in The Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan. :)

It certainly isn't an easy read.  I'm glad it's rated so high for you.

I started Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper today on audio immersion.  It's going well so far.  I also have Caroline Knapp's Appetites and King's The Stand going :)

I'm almost finished with Mobile Library by David Whitehouse, but I'm close to just skimming to the end as I'm not finding it "quietly profound" or "genuinely compelling" as the quotes on the cover tell me it is.  I've got about 60 pages left ...

I did keep going in the end, and finished it today.  Underwhelmed.

On the positive side, I've started listening to North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell on my commute in the morning and evening, and I'm really enjoying it. :smile2:

I've had a bit of a reading 'block' with Strangers on a Train. I was enjoying what I was reading, but hadn't gone much beyond 20 pages in about a month. I finally set some time aside to read a chunk of it, and now I'm finally on track. I'm over halfway through the book and really enjoying it.

I've also ordered about half a dozen books online. :D

Finished Only Ever Yours a few days ago, I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads but it may well go up to a 5 on reflection, definitely at least a 4.5! :)

Glad you enjoyed it! :D

I've started Because You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas. So far so good. It's quirky.

Glad you enjoyed it! :D

I've started Because You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas. So far so good. It's quirky.

It was good, if a little (a lot) disturbing! :o

Have you read Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon? A similar premise to Because You'll Never Meet Me.

It was good, if a little (a lot) disturbing! :o

Have you read Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon? A similar premise to Because You'll Never Meet Me.

Oooh, no! I'll look it up. Have you read the latter?

I read about 75 pages of Arcadia last night and was really sad to have to turn out my light and go to sleep.  I'm thoroughly taken with this book!  Close to 200 pages in of a 500+ page book and I can't wait to get home and read more.  I can say I've never read anything like it  :wub:

I read about 75 pages of Arcadia last night and was really sad to have to turn out my light and go to sleep.  I'm thoroughly taken with this book!  Close to 200 pages in of a 500+ page book and I can't wait to get home and read more.  I can say I've never read anything like it  :wub:

I love it when that happens with a book! :D

I'm a couple of hours in to North and South now, and it's fantastic, another cracker on the English Counties list.

Talking of which, I've also started another book on the list, and I'm reading The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers for Cambridgeshire.  There's been a lot of bell ringing so far ... 

I've had a bit of a reading 'block' with Strangers on a Train. I was enjoying what I was reading, but hadn't gone much beyond 20 pages in about a month. I finally set some time aside to read a chunk of it, and now I'm finally on track. I'm over halfway through the book and really enjoying it.

Good one!  :D  

I'm glad you're enjoying it.  :)

I'm over half way through Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell for the Counties Challenge on here (on audio book) and I'm on page 141 of The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth by Katherine Woodfine. 

Anyone get a book for Mother's Day....my youngest asked for a selection from my wishlist so he could get me a book.
With a box of Lindt choccies he gave me The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George

Anyone get a book for Mother's Day....my youngest asked for a selection from my wishlist so he could get me a book.

With a box of Lindt choccies he gave me The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George

I hope you enjoy both the book and the chocolates :).

I finished Warbreaker, it was very enjoyable. I plan to start a new book later today.

I'm halfway though Because You'll Never Meet Me. Not amazing, but there are elements of it that are great and it's precisely the kind of light read I was after. Falling behind though, really need to get a couple of books finished this weekend.

I pre-ordered the new Catherine Ryan Hyde book, slated for the end of May, Leaving Blythe River :exc:  It was on sale for 5 dollars!

I also downloaded another immersion reading book, Robert K. Massie's Catherine the Great.

Hopefully, I can find something that catches.