Your Book Activity - March 2016

Athena

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have less than 80 pages left of Station Eleven. Really enjoying it. :)

Glad you are enjoying it. I think the last few chapters are beautifully and poetically written. :smile:

No book activity yet, since my eye surgery and I miss reading so much :help:

I tried audio books, but they're not for me, honestly..

Oh no, hope you recover soon! I can't imagine not being able to read. :console:

I've also started Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente, of "Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland" fame, and it's both really unusual and really captivating. It's set to a sci-fi/fantasy background, but it's about a film director who goes missing during filming on Venus. The whole book is comprised of interviews, movie scripts, advert scripts, reviews/editorials, journal/diary entries and other documentation like the manifesto of the ship that travelled to Venus for filming. All geared around movies or the making of them. We learn about the missing girl's life through reviews of her father's premieres, scripts of her own films, interviews with people on the Venus film crew etc.

This sounds like an interesting way to tell the story. 

I tried audio books, but they're not for me, honestly..

Awww, I'm so sorry for you :(:wibbly:. I would be devastated not being able to read. I hope things get better for you soon :friends0:.

I finished 1984 by George Orwell. Very interesting thing but very hard emotionally for reading. I was dissapoined with the ending, it's too sad but was presictable from the start of the novel.

Now I'm reading his Animal Farm, want to compare. I heard that the topics in both books are quite similiar.

I have finally, finally finished A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. I think I've been reading it for about 2 weeks. :o  It was a very, very difficult novel to digest. It's hard to say I enjoyed it, because it was so full of misery....I honestly don't think I have read a more depressing novel. This is the kind of book that once you finish it, you just wonder if there is anything good in the world at all. It's that depressing. :thud: I will need time to digest it, and it will be interesting reading other reviews on it.

Next up for me is The Long Song by Andrea Levy. Hopefully a bit more upbeat, but I somehow doubt it. I sure know how to pick them! :giggle2:

I have finally, finally finished A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. I think I've been reading it for about 2 weeks. :o It was a very, very difficult novel to digest. It's hard to say I enjoyed it, because it was so full of misery....I honestly don't think I have read a more depressing novel. This is the kind of book that once you finish it, you just wonder if there is anything good in the world at all. It's that depressing. :thud: I will need time to digest it, and it will be interesting reading other reviews on it.

Definitely sounds like my sort of read!

I finished 1984 by George Orwell. Very interesting thing but very hard emotionally for reading. I was dissapoined with the ending, it's too sad but was presictable from the start of the novel.

Now I'm reading his Animal Farm, want to compare. I heard that the topics in both books are quite similiar.

I quite liked Animal Farm but I haven't read 1984 yet so I can't say how they compare. I hope you find it interesting :).

I started reading Berthold Gunster - Ja-maar... Huh?!, a non-fiction book. I thought it'd be good to read something different and less 'engrossing' than a fiction book, because the read-a-thon will start this Friday and I don't want to be too burned out with reading just before it (with a fiction book the story might be quite tense and I'll want to find out how it ends, so I'm likely to read more in it). I haven't read much non-fiction this year so far, but fiction has always been my preference so maybe it's not so bad. I guess I kind of go through phases when I read more and less non-fiction.

I have finally, finally finished A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. I think I've been reading it for about 2 weeks. :o  It was a very, very difficult novel to digest. It's hard to say I enjoyed it, because it was so full of misery....I honestly don't think I have read a more depressing novel. This is the kind of book that once you finish it, you just wonder if there is anything good in the world at all. It's that depressing. :thud: I will need time to digest it, and it will be interesting reading other reviews on it.

It's gone on my wishlist, but it's so long it'll probably be a while before I get to it.

Lol at your kind of read being something so depressing it makes bobbly wonder if there's any good in the world! :giggle:

I've nearly finished Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente. I have 30 pages to go and I can't decide whether or not it's one of my new all-time favourite books. I think I may purchase a hardcopy and immediately re-read it.

Fab book, Kylie!!  I'm glad you like it.

Glad you are enjoying it. I think the last few chapters are beautifully and poetically written. :smile:

Thank you both. I finished it today and enjoyed it to the read. What a great read! :)

You poor thing. :( I hope you're on the mend and can get back to reading (and other things) soon.

I've now started reading James De Mille's A Strange Manuscript Found in a Copper Cylinder, which was first published in 1888 and came to my attention via a list of dystopian books. From the blurb it seems like it might be more utopian than dystopian, but time will tell. I'm excited to finally read it because I've been wanting to do so for quite a few years. I've read the first 20 pages and am already gripped by it. Worth the wait! :D

I've now started reading James De Mille's A Strange Manuscript Found in a Copper Cylinder, which was first published in 1888 and came to my attention via a list of dystopian books. From the blurb it seems like it might be more utopian than dystopian, but time will tell. I'm excited to finally read it because I've been wanting to do so for quite a few years. I've read the first 20 pages and am already gripped by it. Worth the wait! :D

Thanks to you I have now got this on Kindle!  :D  I'm looking forward to trying it some time, so thanks.  :)

It's only £3.66 on Kindle, which is very cheap considering how big a book it is. I do hope you enjoy it when you get to it. It seems like a real Marmite book judging from Amazon reviews. A lot of people have criticised it because it is so depressing, so if that is your thing, then you may really get on well with it. :D

It's gone on my wishlist, but it's so long it'll probably be a while before I get to it.

You may whiz through it....I think Mona said she finished it in 2 days!! :thud:

Thank you both. I finished it today and enjoyed it to the read. What a great read! :)

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! :boogie:

I started The Long Song by Andrea Levy this morning. Brilliant start. I've forgotten how good and witty she is. :smile:

Edited by bobblybear

So glad you enjoyed Station Eleven, Kylie. I too thought it was terrific. In fact, Emily Mandel is rapidly becoming one of my favourite authors. Recently finished Last Night in Montreal and that was also excellent (although not as good as SE - but I won't begrudge her that). I believe she has two or three others - and it's safe to say I'm looking forward to getting around to them.

I finished Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar (read it in high school). Started The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma. It won out over Hitler Out of Time, which I hope to read for the read a thon in April.

Finished all the books in the Caribbean murder series 14 in all.  Enjoyed this series. 

Reading the 8th book in the Patisseries Mysteries by Harper Lin on my ipad and The Lake House by Kate Morton in book form.

Bought a book on Kindle last night before I went to sleep called Forward Slash, which I spotted on Goodreads, before realising its written by a guy who has written another book I read and didn't think much of. I read one chapter and decided nope. Returned it this morning  :blush2:

Not sure what I'm going to read next, actually. Still working through my Finnish short stories. 

I've just finished Collective Mind by Klyukin as a beta reader. I like it, but author decide to rewrite some moments and delete book from internet instead of that fact that Eva Longoria, Natalia Vodianova and Frederic Beigbeder consider this book worthreading! Strange man! However, writing book is infinity in some way..

I finished my Vampire Academy #4 book today. It's a great series. I didn't enjoy the first book at all but now I really like it.

I think I'll start the Jeaniene Frost book I recently bought. It's called "Verlockung der Nacht" (#7 of the cat and bones series). Hope I'll enjoy it. :)

This afternoon, I finished The Walls Around Us by Nova Den Suma... I'm still trying to figure out what I just read. It started with a quote from The Handmaid's Tale, so. :P

Now on to Alex Rosenberg's The Girl From Krakow. I never have read any WWII fiction!

This afternoon, I finished The Walls Around Us by Nova Den Suma... I'm still trying to figure out what I just read. It started with a quote from The Handmaid's Tale, so. :P

Now on to Alex Rosenberg's The Girl From Krakow. I never have read any WWII fiction!

You haven't read any Westerns either. :)

I would recommend reading Appaloosa by Robert B. Parker. Now that is a good "Western". :)

Edited by muggle not

I've decided to try The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. I still amn't sure what I'm in the mood for after reading Radiance, but this is the one I am trying, so we'll see how it goes.

I hope you enjoy the book, I really liked it and came away with an appreciation of what France went through in WWII.