Your Book Activity - March 2016

Athena

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm at the halfway mark with A Little Life. These doorstoppers take me forever. :giggle:

It's a long one? I thought it might be short :blush: I guess because a little life -> a little book... :blush::lol: 

Hoping to do some reading this weekend! 4 glorious days of holi! :smile2: 

Damn it, there's a Kindle Spring Sale so I seem to have bought some books today :doh:

Somehow, these have found their way onto my Kindle:

The Lady In The Van by Alan Bennett
The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

And although this one wasn't on sale, The Stars Look Down by A. J. Cronin was only £1.89 and Janet has told me how good it is and it's on the English Counties challenge, so it also now appears to be on my TBR.

Forgot to say, I've actually done some reading as well!!!

Yesterday I finished Perijee and Me by Ross Montgomery, then this morning I finished The Secret Paris Cinema Club by Nicolas Barreau and I've made a start on The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. :D

I've read 9 out of the 15 short stories in It Came From The North - I've enjoyed all but one of them to some degree. 

I've also just started Bogmail by Patrick McGinley, which it turns out is from a county I've already read a book for but sure I'll plough on anyway. 

I'm afraid to look at my bank account after all the books I've gradually picked up for my Kindle app over the last few days  :lurker:

Finished The Monogram Murders and started Revival by Stephen King.

Went back to the library & took out the last in the Ken Follett trilogy, Edge of Eternity and some weaning books for inspiration.

Also got out The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding to check on info for returning to work & expressing as I only have one week left of maternity. :( I still ended up reading through half of the main book anyway just as a recap on our 7 months and to see if there were any other hints in there. Often I seem to be able to read through non fiction faster than fiction these days, particularly if it's relevant to something I'm experiencing at the moment. I also borrowed Your preschool bible which I will also probably whiz through once I've read through the more urgent books relating to my youngest. :)

I've read a lot of samples today that are automatically being scheduled for the short listed TBR:

The Bees by Laline Paull

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

The Girl From Kraków by Alex Rosenberg

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

Hitler Out of Time by David Avoura King

The Haj by Leon Uris

Russka by Edward Rutherfurd

Whew! It's been fun, but now back to Brandon Sanderson's Calamity and Sylvia Plath'S The Bell Jar.

I've read a lot of samples today that are automatically being scheduled for the short listed TBR:

The Bees by Laline Paull

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

The Girl From Kraków by Alex Rosenberg

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

Hitler Out of Time by David Avoura King

The Haj by Leon Uris

Russka by Edward Rutherfurd

Whew! It's been fun, but now back to Brandon Sanderson's Calamity and Sylvia Plath'S The Bell Jar.

Everything I Never Told You is a good read.

The Godfather is amazing, the movie doesn't hold a candle to it imo :D

Everything I Never Told You is a good read.

The Godfather is amazing, the movie doesn't hold a candle to it imo :D

Woohoo! My mom said the same about The Godfather (and she hardly reads!).

I am really looking forward to the Celeste Ng book too. So many books, so little time :D. Didn't you read The Bees as well?

Woohoo! My mom said the same about The Godfather (and she hardly reads!).

I am really looking forward to the Celeste Ng book too. So many books, so little time :D. Didn't you read The Bees as well?

I know the feeling, I'm trying to force myself through books so quickly because I'm dying to get onto the next ones!

I haven't yet, I've had The Bees on my Kindle for aaaaaaages but haven't read it yet!

:lol: It's mega-long! :thud: My hardback has 720 pages. Well worth it though. :readingtwo:

720?? :D:thud::lol: Oh yeah... Does it fly by though? Pages just turning by themselves, as if the book was a well-oiled machine? 720... :D 

I'm doing well with my current book, I'm onto 314 pages. Kylie, Katoomba was mentioned :D;) (The book is What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty)

I know the feeling, I'm trying to force myself through books so quickly because I'm dying to get onto the next ones!

I haven't yet, I've had The Bees on my Kindle for aaaaaaages but haven't read it yet!

Funny, I thought it was you with the recommendation :D

720?? :D:thud::lol: Oh yeah... Does it fly by though? Pages just turning by themselves, as if the book was a well-oiled machine? 720... :D

Unfortunately not. :lol: The pages are turning as though they are drowning in treacle. :lol: It's a bit self-indulgent (that's not a criticism though - it is a very good book) in misery and bleakness. I don't think I've read a book that is so, so painfully sad and also reveling in it. Just when you think the author can't possibly make it more depressing, she does! :doh:

I've started working my way through Louis L'Amour's The Sacketts.....19 or 20 of them.  I've read the first three, so far.  But as a break, I'm going to read Bridge of Spies by Giles Whittell.  I want to read the book first, before we see the film.

Have had a good couple of days reading, despite having to work one day, I've managed to finish The Secret Paris Cinema Club by Nicolas Barreau and read The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides and The Lady in the Van by Alan Bennett.

I'm now reading a YA read, See How They Run by Ally Carter.

Funny, I thought it was you with the recommendation :D

*hides* nope, don't blame me! :giggle:

I've gotten a lot of reading done this weekend. I read two books for my Irish Counties Challenge: Bogmail by Patrick McGinley and A Parachute in the Lime Tree by AnneMarie Neary, as well as two thirds of It Came From The North (Finnish speculative short stories).

I've also started Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente, of "Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland" fame, and it's both really unusual and really captivating. It's set to a sci-fi/fantasy background, but it's about a film director who goes missing during filming on Venus. The whole book is comprised of interviews, movie scripts, advert scripts, reviews/editorials, journal/diary entries and other documentation like the manifesto of the ship that travelled to Venus for filming. All geared around movies or the making of them. We learn about the missing girl's life through reviews of her father's premieres, scripts of her own films, interviews with people on the Venus film crew etc. 

Halfway through The Ballroom by Anna Hope, beautifully written and a very emotive book, very gentle though dealing with patients in an asylum. It is scary how little people, in particular the lower classes,  had to do to end up in one in the earlier part of the last century. :(

I have less than 80 pages left of Station Eleven. Really enjoying it. :)

Fab book, Kylie!!  I'm glad you like it.

I'm just at the halfway point of The Asylum.  What a creepy, maddening and intriguing book!  Thanks again, Weave ;).