Your Book Activity - March 2016

Athena

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pre-ordered the new Catherine Ryan Hyde book, slated for the end of May, Leaving Blythe River :exc:  It was on sale for 5 dollars!

I also downloaded another immersion reading book, Robert K. Massie's Catherine the Great.

Hopefully, I can find something that catches.

Oh, you are in for an absolute treat with Catherine The Great! I loved it :)

Popped to the library the other day to take back some of James's books, had a quick scan to see what was there (not expecting to get anything) and ended up with 3 Stephen King's - Revival, Finders Keepers & The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, the new Poirot story The Monogram Murders and a paper version of the book I'm currently reading on Kindle - Ken Follett's Winter of the World as it's handy to leave my kindle upstairs & have the paper book downstairs rather than constantly carrying it up & down along with a baby & various other stuff I need.

Edited by More reading time required

I finished Because We'll Never Meet. I liked it until about two thirds of the way through, at which point I briefly became unsure before realising the book also falls into the genre of sci-fi and I began to love it. I need to re-read it to fully appreciate it in the context of what it is as opposed to what I thought it would be, but I think it'll be a five star read then.

Not sure what's up next, might try start on a couple more books from my Irish Counties Challenge.

I finished Diane Chamberlain - The Lies We Told, it was quite enjoyable. Now I'm reading Holly Black and Cassandra Clare - Magisterium 2: The Copper Gauntlet. I'm only on page 8 though so it's too early to say if it'll be nice. I really liked book 1 though, so I have high hopes for book 2.

I've recently finished 

Code Name Papa: My Extraordinary Life while Hiding in Plain Sight by John Murray,Sharon Murray and Abby Jones

Its a memoir of an ex US undercover agent, and is more scary than any novel you've ever read - if you've every done anything to upset a government.  I'm recommending it to everyone - quite astounding what is going on around us that we near hear about.   Very readable, but will make you wonder what that creak downstairs is!  

At the moment reading The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad.  Snapshots of life in Afghanistan for women, their sons, brothers and extended family.  Fascinating.

Next up will be a romantic novel!

I finished reading John Hersey's Hiroshima and started An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield. The former was excellent, and I'm really enjoying the latter so far. I also started Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey recently, so I'll be continuing with that.

I've finished two more of my English Counties books this weekend - The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers and North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell... that means I'm exactly halfway through the challenge. :smile2:

Next up, I'm going to read The Children Who Lived In A Barn by Eleanor Graham, and for audiobooks, I've got all the short stories from The Chronicles of St Mary's by Jodi Taylor to listen to, so they should keep me going until my next Audible credit later in the week. :D

Finished, and thoroughly enjoyed, Jamaica Inn - Daphne du Maurier. A good, old-fashioned, adventure yarn, and another tick on the English Counties list - this IS a good list!

Gone straight on to Howard's End, which is my alternative choice for Hertfordshire: the main choice for Herts is Pride and Prejudice, but I've read that so often, I wanted something else to take on. Howard's End is proving a great substitute choice: about one-third of the way through, and don't want to put it down.

Edited by willoyd

Gone straight on to Howard's End, which is my alternative choice for Hertfordshire: the main choice for Herts is Pride and Prejudice, but I've read that so often, I wanted something else to take on. Howard's End is proving a great substitute choice: about one-third of the way through, and don't want to put it down.

That's good to hear.  :)  I am looking for an alternative to Pride and Prejudice too, but was reluctant to choose Howards End (no apostrophe  :) ) because I really disliked A Room with a View.  I might download the Kindle sample and see what it's like.  :)

Edit - I'm a third of the way through A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman and have also borrowed an audio book of South Riding by Winifred Holtby which I am going to start listening to tomorrow.  :)

I loved South Riding Janet - hope you do too.

I've been away for the last week with hardly any reading time but still enjoying The Cider House Rules. Hope to finish that shortly - and then may attack some more counties books given everyone else is having such fun with them :D

That's good to hear.  :)  I am looking for an alternative to Pride and Prejudice too, but was reluctant to choose Howards End (no apostrophe  :) ) because I really disliked A Room with a View.  I might download the Kindle sample and see what it's like.  :)

Edit - I'm a third of the way through A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman and have also borrowed an audio book of South Riding by Winifred Holtby which I am going to start listening to tomorrow.  :)

Oooh - you are soooo right!  Thank you for that.  I'm usually so punctilious about apostrophes too! 

Be warned, I enjoyed A Room with a View too!......but, having said that, nowhere near as much as I'm enjoying this.

Is the narrator for your copy of South Riding Carol(e?) Boyd.  I was glued to her reading in the audiobook that I listened to - one of the best I can recall.  Maybe part of the reason that South Riding was a 6-star read, and one of my favourites last year.

I'll be interested in your views on A Man Called Ove, as I've just been strongly recommended it, and been given a copy to read.  Intriguing premise from what I've seen so far.

Edited by willoyd

I've started The Children Who Lived In A Barn by Eleanor Graham which is one of my beloved Persephone books.  I'm really enjoying it, but first published in 1938 and at the start, the parents have to rush away to visit the mother's seriously ill parent and leave the thirteen year old girl in charge of her four siblings!!!  :o

Oooh - you are soooo right! Thank you for that. I'm usually so punctilious about apostophes too!

Be warned, I enjoyed A Room with a View too!......but, having said that, nowhere near as much as I'm enjoying this.

Thanks for the info about Howards End (I thought the apostrophe must just be a typo. :) ). I've downloaded the sample but not tried it yet.

Is the narrator for your copy of South Riding Carol(e?) Boyd. I was glued to her reading in the audiobook that I listened to - one of the best I can recall. Maybe part of the reason that South Riding was a 6-star read, and one of my favourites last year.

Yes, that's the version I have.  I listened to disc 1 and some of disc 2 on my walk to and from work today.  I was 'into' the story straight away and I do like the narration.  I can't wait to listen to some more.  :)  Luckily our forecast is good for the next 10 days (if the BBC website is to be believed) so hopefully I can listen to plenty more this week.

I'll be interested in your views on A Man Called Ove, as I've just been strongly recommended it, and been given a copy to read. Intriguing premise from what I've seen so far.

Ditto!

It's an easy read - I'm enjoying grumpy Ove and the unfolding of the story.  :)

I'm currently reading Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic 8: Shopaholic to the Rescue. So far I'm liking it more than book 7 (which I liked a lot less than the earlier books). I've been a bit apprehensive about reading it though, because no one I know from blogs, YouTube and this forum has posted a review or even mentioned the book (and the hardcover has been out now for about 6 months if I'm not mistaken, I have the newly released medium sized paperback). But so far I'm enjoying this one more than book 7, so that's good.

I have been reading Kay Brellend's East End Angel this week. After what I thought was a slow start, I am now really enjoying it! It definitely won't end with a Happily Ever After, so I am kinda nervous about how it is going to end!

I have finished Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery, the follow on from Little Beach Street Bakery, they were lovely easy reads. I was hoping to get to another TBR book this week but a friend of me gave me a copy of Disclaimer by Renee Knight so I felt I should read that first, I'm not very far in at the moment but it seems ok. :)

Thanks for the info about Howards End (I thought the apostrophe must just be a typo. :) ). I've downloaded the sample but not tried it yet.

I'm currently reading a book that references the film version and keeps putting the apostrophe in, and I'm finding it really annoying!!! :D I really hope you enjoy it, but I'm not sure you will, if you didn't like A Room With A View (which is one of my top three films and I love the book too - I revisited it last year on audiobook and absolutely loved it). Fingers crossed :)

In my own bookish news, I finished The Children Who Lived In A Barn last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it, and today I've been reading more of Film Freak by Christopher Fowler, which I've been dipping in and out of for the last couple of months.

I've started reading Peter V. Brett - The Demon Cycle 4: The Skull Throne. I've been reading this series as they came out. Gladly this book has a glossary / dictionary at the end so I can familiarise myself with what's happened so far (I read this first). I've only read the prologue but so far so good :). I hope the book will be nice.

I've started reading Peter V. Brett - The Demon Cycle 4: The Skull Throne. I've been reading this series as they came out. Gladly this book has a glossary / dictionary at the end so I can familiarise myself with what's happened so far (I read this first). I've only read the prologue but so far so good :). I hope the book will be nice.

Oh wow, I thought it ended with book three. I'd heard book 2 wasn't great, and book 3 was good but not as good as book 1. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts!

I'm still reading two books for my Irish Counties Challenge, both slow-movers, both good but one definitely more enjoyable than the other. Also really need to finish Farthing Wood - kind of regretting starting it now because it's not as good as I remember from childhood and I don't really want to finish it!