Your Book Activity - March 2016

Athena

What are you all currently reading? Or have you bought any books lately?

I'm currently reading Geronimo Stilton - Ridders van Fantasia 3: Het Ontwaken der Reuzen (Il Risveglio dei Giganti) which I hope to finish off before tomorrow when the read-a-thon starts. I bought some books lately too, which I will post about in my thread at a later time.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoops, another thread in which February was getting more than one extra day!

I'm nearly finished Viral by Helen Fitzgerald, which is easily the most disappointing book she's written (that I've read).

I'm nearly finished Viral by Helen Fitzgerald, which is easily the most disappointing book she's written (that I've read).

That's.. disappointing :(.

I finished Geronimo Stilton - Ridders van Fantasia 3: Het Ontwaken der Reuzen (Il Risveglio dei Giganti) and will be starting on my read-a-thon reads today.

That's a shame as I know you like her.  Which has been your favourite?

I'm still reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (loving it!) and this morning I started listening to Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell on my walk to work.  I'm hoping for a few sunny days next week so I can listen to some more!  :D

That's a shame as I know you like her.  Which has been your favourite?

Hmm. The best one for the most part is The Cry, but I preferred the ending of The Exit. Either of those, really. :)

Hmm. The best one for the most part is The Cry, but I preferred the ending of The Exit. Either of those, really. :)

I've read The Cry and I really enjoyed it. I shall add The Exit onto my wish list. I have another on my Kindle, but I can't remember which it is!

I've read The Cry and I really enjoyed it. I shall add The Exit onto my wish list. I have another on my Kindle, but I can't remember which it is!

The Exit is pretty brutal in parts is the only thing I'd say. So you've been warned!

The Exit is pretty brutal in parts is the only thing I'd say. So you've been warned!

Speaking of disturbing, did you ever get to anything by Kathe Koja and I missed it?

Had no time to read over the past week but managed 50 pages of The Cider House Rules today.

Loving it so far - think you'd like it Anna :D

I just need a push :P  And it comes in audio too! 

Speaking of disturbing, did you ever get to anything by Kathe Koja and I missed it?

Other than Cipher which I read last year, no!

Thanks for the warning - I'm not very good at gory, so we'll see!

It's not that gory, it's just very very dark :)

Finished the first book in my  tour of the US: True Grit (the book for Oklahoma, although it could have also qualified for Arkansas)..  Good read.  Moved on to Jamaica Inn, the book for Cornwall in the English Counties Challenge.  My first du Maurier (dare I confess this?!).

I'm reading Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage. It's ok so far, but I really need to set aside a couple of hours because it's not the kind of book that lends itself to reading in dribs and drabs.

I've also popped to the library today and borrowed Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel and To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris.

Edited by bobblybear

I'm reading Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage. It's ok so far, but I really need to set aside a couple of hours because it's not the kind of book that lends itself to reading in dribs and drabs.

I've also popped to the library today and borrowed Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel and To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris.

Al's read To Rise Again at a Decent Hour and really enjoyed it .. he keeps urging me to read it and I will before we get into another Carter Beats the Devil situation :D It's not for the squeamish though apparently .. especially in matters dental  :hide: but it's funny I believe.

Hope you enjoy all your books bobbs :)

I seem to have acquired some books today :blush:  

Had absolutely no intention of buying any, but was killing time in the bookshop this morning and ended up buying Rain: Four Walks in English Weather by Melissa Harrison and Weathering by Lucy Wood.  

I was then adding a few books I'd made a note of to my wishlist and somehow downloaded The Secret Paris Cinema Club by Nicholas Barreau on my Kindle ... how did that happen! :D

Al's read To Rise Again at a Decent Hour and really enjoyed it .. he keeps urging me to read it and I will before we get into another Carter Beats the Devil situation :D It's not for the squeamish though apparently .. especially in matters dental  :hide: but it's funny I believe.

Hope you enjoy all your books bobbs :)

Thanks Kay!

Oh no, I was a bit worried about the dental side of it, and whether there would be any gory bits. :hide:  But I remember a few people reading it and loving it, and I also enjoyed Then We Came To An End by the same author. Hmmm, I'll just have to skim over any bits that make me queasy.  :hide:

I bought Room by Emma Donoghue for Book Club today - I found it for £2 in a charity shop.   I also downloaded A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman for 99p.  :)

I've read and enjoyed both. Hope you get on well with them. :smile:

I've just finished Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Next up is The Abominable by Dan Simmons.

I'm also struggling like anything to write reviews. I'm about 10 books behind and the words aren't coming to me, and it's not helped by the fact that so much time has passed since I read the books. :doh: I have more free time now so I don't have any excuse! :banghead:

:exc: :exc: :exc:

To Rise Again was one of my favourite books from last year! It's a challenging read (in my opinion), it meanders a lot and is very whimsical so it takes a while to get into that. My signature quote is from it. I really hope y'all enjoy it - I'll be looking forward to opinions!

I'm two thirds of the way through Coldbrook by Tim Lebbon and it's an interesting sci-fi spin on the zombie genre. Really enjoying it - it's definitely bigger and more adventurous than the other book I read (and enjoyed, with not without qualms) by him, The Silence.

I finally finished The Fires of Heaven (TWOT book 5) on Friday after starting it in late January! It was good, though also possibly the starting point of the story dragging, hence why I didn't fly through it as quickly as I might have done. Plus, I missed Perrin (nearly typed 'Pippin' then - wrong fantasy book :), who was missing for the entirety of it.

I'm currently reading I'm With the Band - Confessions of a Groupie by Pamela des Barres. Only 18 pages in, though, so I don't know yet if it'll stick. 

Cool!

I haven't had much time for reading lately, but I did manage about 50 pages of Strangers on a Train in one sitting.

I am onto book 2 in the Daniel X series by James Patterson and also reading Death by Seduction by Jaden Skye this is book 13 in the series got book 14 waiting to read hope she writes some more as I love this series set in the Caribbean.

I finally finished The Fires of Heaven (TWOT book 5) on Friday after starting it in late January! It was good, though also possibly the starting point of the story dragging, hence why I didn't fly through it as quickly as I might have done. Plus, I missed Perrin (nearly typed 'Pippin' then - wrong fantasy book :), who was missing for the entirety of it.

I like Perrin too :)!

Currently I'm not reading any book, and I don't expect to be doing a lot of reading today.

EDIT: I'm going to read Brandon Sanderson - Warbreaker.

Edited by Athena