Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2016

Little Pixie

Thanks . :D

-1C tomorrow night here, bleah.  :hide:  I quite like the crispy cold, but this is muggy and overcast. Stay warm ! :)

Cold! Here the temperature has dropped, it's now only about 6 °C maximum I think. It is overcast but at least it's not raining at the moment. You stay warm too :).

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I read Banana Yoshimoto`s Kitchen / Moonlight Shadow, a couple of days ago. Both novellas were excellent and I'm now a convert. She deals with the big questions - love and death - and does it in a beautifully meditative style. The language is just glorious ! :D

An excerpt from Kitchen :

I saw myself reflected in the glass of the large terrace window while black gloom spread over the rain-hounded night panorama. I was tied by blood to no creature in this world. I could go anywhere, do anything. It was dizzying.

Edited by Little Pixie

I read the novellas Hardboiled & Hard Luck by Banana Yoshimoto and liked those. I'm glad to find someone else who's read something by her! I'm glad you liked the novellas you read :).

Ooh, I`ll give those a go  ; I was wondering which book of hers to try next. :D

Edit - I`ve ordered it now ! :)

Edited by Little Pixie

• 2 weeks later...

How exciting! I hope you like them :).

The book`s arrived already ! :o  Looking forward to reading it. :)

I also ordered a book by Frances Crane, called The Applegreen Cat ; unfortunately, someone read a book code wrong and I`ve been sent a non-fiction book set in the Middle East by Joseph Braude called The Honoured Dead ( which does look interesting, anyway :) ). I`ve emailed the bopokseller to sort it out. :)   

Hurray ! Jill Paton Walsh is writing another Lord Peter Wimsey book. I`ve read her other ones, continuing Dorothy L Sayers` series, so I`m thrilled  that there`s going to be another one. :)

I love the Lord Peter Wimsey series, and have been impressed by Jill Paton Walsh's continuation of them. The Attenbury Emeralds were great, although I was a tad less happy with The Late Scholar, which I felt missed the mark at times.

It will be good to see what JPW comes up with, especially now the next generation Wimseys and Bunters are getting older.  :smile:

I also ordered a book by Frances Crane, called The Applegreen Cat ; unfortunately, someone read a book code wrong and I`ve been sent a non-fiction book set in the Middle East by Joseph Braude called The Honoured Dead ( which does look interesting, anyway :) ). I`ve emailed the bopokseller to sort it out. :)

I hope you can get it sorted :). It sounds like a hassle.

I love the Lord Peter Wimsey series, and have been impressed by Jill Paton Walsh's continuation of them. The Attenbury Emeralds were great, although I was a tad less happy with The Late Scholar, which I felt missed the mark at times.

It will be good to see what JPW comes up with, especially now the next generation Wimseys and Bunters are getting older.  :smile:

I wasn`t fussy - I enjoyed all the continuations. :)

Have you tried any of Jill Paton Walsh`s other books ? I read The Wyndham Case, but wasn`t enthused by it.  :mellow:

Hell to the yeah!  :D I am currently struggling to choose my next read - too much choice on my kindle and shelves.  :readingtwo:

Ditto.  :doh:  I might go for another Constance & Gwenyth Little book - they wrote some lovely screwball mysteries from the 1930`s onwards.  :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Good grief, almost another year over.  :doh:

I`ve been a bit bleurgh lately - some medication I was taking affected my liver, leading to my hair thinning out ( luckily just at the front, so it`s disguisable ) and a general feeling of awfulness. I`ve stopped the tablets and will have another blood test in Feb, to check that the liver`s back to normal and it was definitely the medication causing it.

Oh, and the BT engineer had to come out again to fix the phone line, which stopped working. Slow/ non-existent internets - the horror ! :o:

Anyhoo, to the books ! :D

Books read : 152                      TBR 831              New Books Bought : 156                       Total Cost : £582.72    :)

Books ordered -  Something New( £8.84), Displacement (£10.45 ) , Relish (£8.29 ) - Lucy Knisley  Hardboiled and Hardluck - Banana Yoshimoto ( £2.81 ),  Adam Hall - Pekin Target (£2.81), Quiller KGB (£2.81), The warsaw document (£ 3.84 )  The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield (£2.01), Thyme of Death - Susan Wittig Albert (£2.81), Japanland - Karen Muller ( £2.80), The Rabbit Back Literature Society - Pasi Ilmari Jaaskelainen ( £2.80 ), Murder most frothy - Cleo Coyle ( £2.80 ), A plateful of murder - Claudia Bishop (£3.19 ), Night of the living deed - EJ Copperman ( £2.81 ), Finding your way - Martha Beck (£2.81 ), Pilgrimage Vol2 - Dorothy Richardson (£6.24 ).  

:)

Edited by Little Pixie

I`ve been a bit bleurgh lately - some medication I was taking affected my liver, leading to my hair thinning out ( luckily just at the front, so it`s disguisable ) and a general feeling of awfulness. I`ve stopped the tablets and will have another blood test in Feb, to check that the liver`s back to normal and it was definitely the medication causing it.

Oh, and the BT engineer had to come out again to fix the phone line, which stopped working. Slow/ non-existent internets - the horror ! :o:

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well :(. I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:!

Glad the internet is fixed :)!

Books ordered - Something New( £8.84), Displacement (£10.45 ) , Relish (£8.29 ) - Lucy Knisley Hardboiled and Hardluck - Banana Yoshimoto ( £2.81 ), Adam Hall - Pekin Target (£2.81), Quiller KGB (£2.81), The warsaw document (£ 3.84 ) The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield (£2.01), Thyme of Death - Susan Wittig Albert (£2.81), Japanland - Karen Muller ( £2.80), The Rabbit Back Literature Society - Pasi Ilmari Jaaskelainen ( £2.80 ), Murder most frothy - Cleo Coyle ( £2.80 ), A plateful of murder - Claudia Bishop (£3.19 ), Night of the living deed - EJ Copperman ( £2.81 ), Finding your way - Martha Beck (£2.81 ), Pilgrimage Vol2 - Dorothy Richardson (£6.24 ).

I hope you enjoy all your new books :D. I see you ordered Hardboiled and Hardluck, I hope you like it :).

Twitter - Amazing Maps.  - Some fun - and thought provoking - stuff here. :)

Some of those maps are quite interesting :)!

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well :(. I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:!

Glad the internet is fixed :)!

I hope you enjoy all your new books :D. I see you ordered Hardboiled and Hardluck, I hope you like it :).

Some of those maps are quite interesting :)!

Thank you ! :D 

And now to get up to date with Books Read. :)

#153   Honest Doubt - Amanda Cross

#154   The Letters of Dorothy L Sayers 1899-1936

#155   I Remember Nothing - Nora Ephron

#156   The Empty Day - Richard lockridge

#157   Kitchen - Banana Yoshimoto

#158   Painted Roofs - Dorothy Richardson

#159   Backwater - Dorothy Richardson

#160   The Saturday Morning Murder - Batya Gur

#161   Visible City - Tova Mirvis

#162   Asking for murder - Roberta Isleib

#163   Something new - Lucy Knisley

#164   The grey Mist Murders - Constance and Gwenyth Little

#165   Honeycomb - Dorothy richardson

#166   the Black Coat - Constance and Gwenyth Little

#167   Thyme of Death - Susan Wittig Albert

#168   murder on a Kibbutz - Batya Gur

#169   Murder Duet - Batya Gur

#170   The Passover Murder - Lee Harris

Nice :D! Do you think you'll get to 175 this year?

Maybe. :) I was thinking of reading one big book to finish - like The Luminaries ( Eleanor Catton ) or The Valley of Amazement ( Amy Tan ) - but now I`m thinking that to feel a bit more Christmassy, I could dig into some Festive Books. 

Do you think you`ll get to 450?  :D

Maybe. :) I was thinking of reading one big book to finish - like The Luminaries ( Eleanor Catton ) or The Valley of Amazement ( Amy Tan ) - but now I`m thinking that to feel a bit more Christmassy, I could dig into some Festive Books. 

Do you think you`ll get to 450?  :D

Those are both good ideas :). I'm thinking of doing some festive reads myself (my current one is festive).

Haha, no :D:P. I doubt I'm going to get to 425 to be honest. I've currently read 416 books. December is always a busy month for me and I want to focus on some festive reads and books for adults and YA for a while, generally longer books than the short children's books I have been reading the past while, so I don't think I'll get to even 425. It also doesn't help that I've got a new hobby now - colouring for adults, and I'm doing a lot of book cataloguing, fixing things up in my database. But who knows, maybe it'll be around 425. I'm kind of saddened I won't be getting to 100,000 pages this year - currently I've read 92944 pages (minus my current read) and I'd have to read a whole lot to get to 100,000. It was a nice accomplishment in 2015 though (as was 502 books). But for the next while I plan to focus on longer books for adults and YA rather than short children's books and not go to the library as often, just read what I want to when I feel like it. We'll see how things go though, I probably won't be able to resist going to the library in a while so :P.

Those are both good ideas :). I'm thinking of doing some festive reads myself (my current one is festive).

Haha, no :D:P. I doubt I'm going to get to 425 to be honest. I've currently read 416 books. December is always a busy month for me and I want to focus on some festive reads and books for adults and YA for a while, generally longer books than the short children's books I have been reading the past while, so I don't think I'll get to even 425. It also doesn't help that I've got a new hobby now - colouring for adults, and I'm doing a lot of book cataloguing, fixing things up in my database. But who knows, maybe it'll be around 425. I'm kind of saddened I won't be getting to 100,000 pages this year - currently I've read 92944 pages (minus my current read) and I'd have to read a whole lot to get to 100,000. It was a nice accomplishment in 2015 though (as was 502 books). But for the next while I plan to focus on longer books for adults and YA rather than short children's books and not go to the library as often, just read what I want to when I feel like it. We'll see how things go though, I probably won't be able to resist going to the library in a while so :P.

You`ve had a really productive year :D  ( and colouring books still count, right ?  :giggle2: ).