Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2016

Little Pixie

I'm glad you're almost back to normal! I hope you'll be fully recovered soon. I'm just recovering from a bad cold, I should be fully recovered in a few days. I'm glad the web browser is working.

135, you've read a lot :)! I just finished that book, I hope you enjoy it :D.

I've been well, just now recovering from a bad cold. But, I'm almost recovered so I'm quite happy about that! It's been a week, so that's not too bad. I'm doing well overall :).

Thanks ! :) I hope you`re all better soon too. :D

I`m 41% into the book and really enjoying it. I hope they make radio plays out of those books. :)

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ! :) I hope you`re all better soon too. :D

I`m 41% into the book and really enjoying it. I hope they make radio plays out of those books. :)

Glad to hear you're really enjoying it! That would be interesting, I love the TV show.

Hope you feel better soon Athena, I read on the other thread how you can't taste anything - that's horrible isn't it!  Hope that clears up soon.

Thanks Madeleine :). I'm almost recovered. Tastewise I can taste some things but not others, and I can't taste things as much as usually. Hopefully that clears up soon, it's not nice.

Books read : 108                      TBR 834              New Books Bought : 115                       Total Cost : £388.25

Time to get up to date ...

109   Lord of the Silent - Elizabeth Peters

110   The Golden One - Elizabeth Peters

111   Children of the Storm - Elizabeth Peters

112   Guardian of the Horizon - Elizabeth Peters 

113   About face - Donna Leon

114   Drawing Conclusions -  Donna Leon

115   Doomsday Book - Connie Willis

116   Journal of a Solitude - May Sarton

117   The Joy of doing things badly - Veronica Chambers

118   A Spell of Trouble - Leighann Dobbs

119   A Client is Cancelled - Frances and Richard Lockridge

120   Death and the Gentle Bull - Frances and Richard Lockridge

121   Wild Strawberries - Angela Thirkell

122   Burnt Offering - Frances and Richard Lockridge

123   Write Murder Down - Frances and Richard Lockridge

124   Let Dead Enough Alone - Frances and Richard Lockridge

125   Practise to Deceive - Frances and Richard Lockridge

126   Accent on Murder - Frances and Richard Lockridge

127   Show Red for Danger - Frances and Richard Lockridge

128   Cats and People -  Frances and Richard Lockridge

129   With One Stone - Frances and Richard Lockridge

130   The Distant Clue - Frances and Richard Lockridge

131   Death by Association - Frances and Richard Lockridge

132   Murder Can`t Wait - Frances and Richard Lockridge

133   Or was he Pushed ? - Richard Lockridge

134   Murder Roundabout -  Richard Lockridge

135   With Option to Die - Richard Lockridge

136   The Killing of Polly Carter - Robert Thorogood

:)

New books ; 

Quiller Balalaika - Adam Hall ( £5.85), Time is the Fire - Connie Willis (£6.71 ), The Seventh Sinner - Elizabeth Peters (£2.95 ), Tall Tail - Rita Mae Brown ( £5.99), 

Die like an Eagle - Donna Andrews (£5.99 ), Through the Grinder - Cleo Coyle ( £2.50 ), Lincoln`s Dreams - Connie Willis ( £2.80 ), Bellwether - Connie Willis ( £2.81 ), Manhattan Memoir - Mary Cantwell ( £2.81 ). Quest of the Bogeyman - Richard lockridge ( £8.86 ).

What a lot of books you've read this year.  :)

What a lot of Ngaio Marsh books you've read.   That's an author I've been meaning to try. 

I'm on a Book Roll.:)

I did a Ngaio Marsh reread and loved the books all over again. I highly recommend them ; the main characters are ones I fell in love with. Do give them a go if you're into Golden Age mysteries. :)

How strange - and awful. Hope you`re all better soon. :D

Books read : 108                      TBR 834              New Books Bought : 115                       Total Cost : £388.25

Nice :)! Only a few more bought than read :).

What did you think of The Killing of Polly Carter?

New books ; 

Quiller Balalaika - Adam Hall ( £5.85), Time is the Fire - Connie Willis (£6.71 ), The Seventh Sinner - Elizabeth Peters (£2.95 ), Tall Tail - Rita Mae Brown ( £5.99), 

Die like an Eagle - Donna Andrews (£5.99 ), Through the Grinder - Cleo Coyle ( £2.50 ), Lincoln`s Dreams - Connie Willis ( £2.80 ), Bellwether - Connie Willis ( £2.81 ), Manhattan Memoir - Mary Cantwell ( £2.81 ). Quest of the Bogeyman - Richard lockridge ( £8.86 ).

I hope you enjoy all of your new books :)!

I hope you enjoy all of your new books :)!

Thanks ! :D

Polly Carter review with spoilers :

I thought the ending was excellent and sneakily clever ; howdunnit and whydunnit both made sense and it was all very satisying.

When Richard`s Mother turned up in the story, it was a lovely surprise and made for a fun sub-plot.

I loved that Dwayne found that he was accidentally dating Richard`s Mum !

There was a nice bit towards the end when Richard and his Father were just standing at the railing, not speaking but together.

And hurray, there`s a new Death in Paradise book out next year.

Thanks ! :D

Polly Carter review with spoilers :

Spoilers regarding The Killing of Polly Carter:

I totally agree with your points :)! I wasn't expecting that sub-plot either but I really liked it. Dwayne is a great character. To me the howdunnit and whydunnit (I didn't know these words existed haha) made perfect sense too. And I didn't know that there was going to be a new book next year, that's great :D. My edition of the book just has an excerpt in it from the previous book (A Meditation on Murder).

I was in Sainsbury's this afternoon and - in the pet section - they're selling Advent calendar s for Cats. :giggles:

Haha :giggle2:.

Spoilers regarding The Killing of Polly Carter:

I totally agree with your points :)! I wasn't expecting that sub-plot either but I really liked it. Dwayne is a great character. To me the howdunnit and whydunnit (I didn't know these words existed haha) made perfect sense too. And I didn't know that there was going to be a new book next year, that's great :D. My edition of the book just has an excerpt in it from the previous book (A Meditation on Murder).

Yes, my book has the same excerpt -. I looked on the author`s Twitter feed and it says he`s writing/editing the third book in the series ( couldn`t see the name of it ). :)

*I think* that howdunnit and whtdunnit should exist `cos `whodunnit` is in common parlance. :D

Twitter - Robert Thorogood :)

Edited by Little Pixie

Only as a treat ; the rest of the time, she has Felix (  Doubly Delicious, Country Style, etc ) which loooks like `proper` food, ie, not overly processed, plus IAMS, which doesn`t have icky stuff in it. :)

Did you find your doggie was healthier on raw ? :)

Hi! Sorry, I haven't been on much! I did feel like he did better on raw food, but he's 12 now (they can live to be 18) and he's been eating baked chicken breast and white rice :D. Which might seem spoiled by most... but he deserves it :)

That's amazing you're over 100 books read already! :o

Those both look really good, but my criteria at the moment is ` Does it have cats in it ?!`  ;)  :giggle2:

:D. I don't think I've read anything with cats!

It`s a whole mystery genre.  :giggle2:

Yes, but how many have cats?? :P

More than you`d think. Many, many more...  :giggle:

Yes!  Several series, two of which I have.  The Joe Grey (talking, detecting cat) series by Shirley Rousseau Murphy https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_17?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=shirley+rousseau+murphy+joe+grey+series&sprefix=Shirley+Rousseau+%2Caps%2C185  Cat on the Edge being the first. and Lilian Jackson Braun https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=lilian+jackson+braun+cat+who+series&sprefix=Lilian+Jacks%2Cstripbooks%2C201&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Alilian+jackson+braun+cat+who+series Cat Who series.  They degenerated somewhat towards the end, but for old times sake I bought them anyhow. :)

For a taste, there is a book of short stories by her called The Cat Who Had 14 Tales https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Who-Tales-Short-Stories-ebook/dp/B000OCXJB6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1475338512&sr=1-1&keywords=lilian+jackson+braun+14+tales

Books read : 108                      TBR 831              New Books Bought : 112                       Total Cost : £378.79

Wow. Just wow.  and that's not the latest figure, I see! :o

Well, my alarm clock stopped working ( the alarm hadn`t worked for ages, and then I had to add 5 hours to get the correct time.. ) so I`m buying a new one from Amazon - and of course, I had to buy some books so that I`d spent enough to get free p&p.  ;)

Books : Death and the Olive Grove - Marco Vichi ( £2.81 ) - I read the first in the series and really liked it.

The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins ( £3.85 for a new hardback atm ! :D )

Notorious Nineteen - Janet Evanovich ( £2.80 )

And this is the alarm clock .   :)

Neat alarm clock!

I really enjoyed The Girl on the Train, trying to make up my mind to see the film.  It looks good too.

Poor Xiao-Xiao came in on Thursday night at 9pm completely drenched. There was this terracottta-brown water pouring off her, like she`d been submerged in water. Poor thing was utterly traumatised. No idea if it was deliberate or she accidentally fell into the river ( which she never even goes near ). She`d just finished a course of steroids from the vet for her itchiness, so was in the best shape to fight off anything. 

She`s had a couple of days of raw beef to make her feel better, and she`s started talking again - she was so quiet and subdued - and running about. Still a bit jumpy though, and snuggles up closely to me at bedtime.  :( :(:(:  

OMG!  Glad to see that she's better.  Have you found out what happened?  Do you think someone did that to her??

Hi! Sorry, I haven't been on much! I did feel like he did better on raw food, but he's 12 now (they can live to be 18) and he's been eating baked chicken breast and white rice :D. Which might seem spoiled by most... but he deserves it :)

That's amazing you're over 100 books read already! :o

They're family members ! I think pets do deserve decent food. :)

Xiao-Xiao had raw beef again this week and ran about afterwards, shouting and pouncing. I think that means she enjoyed it. :lol:

Grrr, can't quote a long post with kindle, too awkward.

Still loving my alarm clock ! :)

The last Cat Who book which I read was #24, The cat who went up a creek ; I have one of the later ones, but I think they went downhill too much to keep buying all of them. Kate, did you at all like the last few ? I wondered if it would change my memories of the loveliness of the characters she created to keep reading them ?

Xiao-Xiao' s fully recovered, thanks for

asking. I asked a neighbour who has a relative in the Police here, and she hadn't heard of any other cat incidents nearby. Just no idea what happened.:(

Yes, my book has the same excerpt -. I looked on the author`s Twitter feed and it says he`s writing/editing the third book in the series ( couldn`t see the name of it ). :)

*I think* that howdunnit and whtdunnit should exist `cos `whodunnit` is in common parlance. :D

Twitter - Robert Thorogood  :)

That makes sense :D.

Thanks for that :)!

Grrr, can't quote a long post with kindle, too awkward.

Still loving my alarm clock ! :)

The last Cat Who book which I read was #24, The cat who went up a creek ; I have one of the later ones, but I think they went downhill too much to keep buying all of them. Kate, did you at all like the last few ? I wondered if it would change my memories of the loveliness of the characters she created to keep reading them ?

Xiao-Xiao' s fully recovered, thanks for

asking. I asked a neighbour who has a relative in the Police here, and she hadn't heard of any other cat incidents nearby. Just no idea what happened. :(

That's a shame the later ones weren't so good. I read I think #29, The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers (but in Dutch), and didn't like it so much. I already own 3, 6 and 14 though so I'll give those a go at some point.

I'm glad Xiao-Xiao is fully recovered :).

Thanks ! :D She`s currently in the sitting room, with her head poking out of the French windows - she wanted to be both `in` and `out`. It`s a Cat Thing.  :giggle2:

Haha :giggle2:. Boris (one of our dogs) is like that sometimes. Then it seems like he wants to come inside, or go outside (depending on which direction he came from), then waits in the doorway while he's not sure what he wants. Then I tell him, he can be inside, or outside, there aren't any other options :P (at least, while it's cold outside, if it's warm then some doors could stay open).

Haha :giggle2:. Boris (one of our dogs) is like that sometimes. Then it seems like he wants to come inside, or go outside (depending on which direction he came from), then waits in the doorway while he's not sure what he wants. Then I tell him, he can be inside, or outside, there aren't any other options :P (at least, while it's cold outside, if it's warm then some doors could stay open).

:giggle2:  At least I can pick up Xiao-Xiao is there`s too much in/out business and it`s getting too cold. I think that`s not an option with Boris.  ;)