#101   Ghostly Paws - Leighann Dobbs

#102   Die Laughing - Richard Lockridge

#103   Preach No More - Richard Lockridge

#104   Literary Murder - Batya Gur

#105   The Jane Austen Book Club - Karen Joy Fowler

#106   Penelope Passes - Joan Coggin

#107   Dancing with Death - Joan Coggin

#108   Foggy, Foggy Death - Richard and Frances Lockridge

Up to date - I`ve had such rotten migraines that I just haven`t felt like doing much reading ( I know it looks like I`m reading a lot, but I`m reading 1/3 of my usual amount :o ).

The Lockridge books were good, and I really enjoyed the two Joan Coggin books ( Golden Age mysteries with vivid characters, clever plots and real depth to the stories ).

Ghostly Paws could`vet done with a bit more characterisation of the minor characters, but I loved the lead character and the story - a bookshop owner investigates a murder in a town with Witchy secrets, plus there are cats. The ending was something unexpected and really fun. I`ve pre-ordered Leighann Dobbs` first book in a new series, A Spell of Trouble, for 99p. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trouble-Silver-Hollow-Paranormal-Mystery-ebook/dp/B01K29O0WC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-

text&ie=UTF8&qid=1471103352&sr=1-1&keywords=a+spell+of+trouble

Literary Murder was excellent, and I`ve ordered the rest of the series. Set in Israel, a murder takes place in a University. The writing is complex, and reminded me of Michael`s Dibdin Aurelio Zen books. :) I found it initially hard to get into - all the characters are introduced at once, during a seminar on poetry - but so rewarding.

Edited by Little Pixie

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! You've read so much! Too bad not as much as normal, but that's awesome! What's been your favorite read of the year so far?

Thanks ! :D  I really liked the EE Holmes books ( Spirit Legacy, etc ) and the two Gretchen Rubin self-help books. 

Any stand-outs for you so far ? :)

Thanks ! :D  I really liked the EE Holmes books ( Spirit Legacy, etc ) and the two Gretchen Rubin self-help books. 

Any stand-outs for you so far ? :)

Ooh- Spirit Legacy sounds interesting. I might check that out- it'd be a little of a departure for me. I downloaded the sample.

I've been lucky and have enjoyed most of what I've read this year. I'd have to say though, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale and We the Living by Ayn Rand were to of my favorites. Course, Ayn Rand isn't for everyone :P

Ooh- Spirit Legacy sounds interesting. I might check that out- it'd be a little of a departure for me. I downloaded the sample.

I've been lucky and have enjoyed most of what I've read this year. I'd have to say though, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale and We the Living by Ayn Rand were to of my favorites. Course, Ayn Rand isn't for everyone :P

Those both look really good, but my criteria at the moment is ` Does it have cats in it ?!`  ;)  :giggle2:

Books bought recently :

Murder Duet, Murder in Jerusalem, Murder on a Kibbutz, Bethlehem Road Murder,  The Saturday Morning Murder - Batya Gur

The Copenhagan Connection - Elizabeth Peters

Plant Dreaming Deep - May Sarton

Murder at Beechlands - Maureen Sarsfield

I Remember Nothing - Nora Ephron

The Mystery at Orchard House, Who Killed the Curate - Joan Coggin

Early Riser - Jasper Fforde

:)

Ooh, I have looked at Ghostly Paws recently, the I have just found the Leighann Dobbs Cozy Mystery Collection Kindle Edition - 4 novels for free!

Yes ! I downloaded that ( I previously had Ghostly Paws on its own, also for free ). Then I downloaded a paid-for-book, `cos I felt I should be a bit supportive of a writer. :blush2:  Plus, her new book looks like something I`d enjoy. :D

Sorry to hear about your migraines :(. How was The Jane Austen Book Club? I have the movie of that book.

(...) and the two Gretchen Rubin self-help books.

That sounds promising :D. I'm glad Ghostly Paws was good :).

Those both look really good, but my criteria at the moment is ` Does it have cats in it ?!`  ;)  :giggle2:

Haha :giggle2:.

Books bought recently :

Murder Duet, Murder in Jerusalem, Murder on a Kibbutz, Bethlehem Road Murder,  The Saturday Morning Murder - Batya Gur

The Copenhagan Connection - Elizabeth Peters

Plant Dreaming Deep - May Sarton

Murder at Beechlands - Maureen Sarsfield

I Remember Nothing - Nora Ephron

The Mystery at Orchard House, Who Killed the Curate - Joan Coggin

Early Riser - Jasper Fforde

:)

I hope you enjoy all your new books :)!

Yes ! I downloaded that ( I previously had Ghostly Paws on its own, also for free ). Then I downloaded a paid-for-book, `cos I felt I should be a bit supportive of a writer. :blush2:  Plus, her new book looks like something I`d enjoy. :D

:giggle2: . I had forgotten that I had the free Ghostly Paws already  :sarcastic: , but I bought two Kindle books, as I was feeling generous too  :lol:

Sorry to hear about your migraines :(. How was The Jane Austen Book Club? I have the movie of that book.

Thanks. :)  

There was a lot that I liked about the Karen Joy Fowler book, but once I finished it, I felt a bit unsatisfied. I had trouble keeping the characters clear in my mind - although there are only 5 women and one man.

I have the film on tape, and I`m looking forward to seeing it. :)

I hope you enjoy all your new books  :)!

Thanks ! :D  I hope you enjoy Ghostly Paws when you get to it. :)

There was a lot that I liked about the Karen Joy Fowler book, but once I finished it, I felt a bit unsatisfied. I had trouble keeping the characters clear in my mind - although there are only 5 women and one man.

I have the film on tape, and I`m looking forward to seeing it. :)

Let me know what you think of the film :) (if you want).

Thanks ! :D  I hope you enjoy Ghostly Paws when you get to it. :)

Well, my alarm clock stopped working ( the alarm hadn`t worked for ages, and then I had to add 5 hours to get the correct time.. ) so I`m buying a new one from Amazon - and of course, I had to buy some books so that I`d spent enough to get free p&p.  ;)

Books : Death and the Olive Grove - Marco Vichi ( £2.81 ) - I read the first in the series and really liked it.

The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins ( £3.85 for a new hardback atm ! :D )

Notorious Nineteen - Janet Evanovich ( £2.80 )

And this is the alarm clock .  :)

Edited by Little Pixie

Well, my alarm clock stopped working ( the alarm hadn`t worked for ages, and then I had to add 5 hours to get the correct time.. ) so I`m buying a new one from Amazon - and of course, I had to buy some books so that I`d spent enough to get free p&p.  ;)

That's one nice alarm clock :). I hope you enjoy your new books :D.

Awww cute :).