Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2016

Little Pixie

Books read : 69                      TBR 840              New Books Bought : 94                       Total Cost : £286.95

I got 9 books in the Save The Kitties charity shop for £4.20.  :018:

The Jane Austen Book Club - Karen Joy Fowler

The Finkler Question - Howard Jacobson

The Holy Thief - Ellis Peters

Elizabeth and her German Garden - Elizabeth Von Arnim

The Other Queen - Philippa Gregory

Little Face - Sophie Hannah

Stiff News - Catherine Aird

Pagan Spring - GM Malliet

A Noble Killing - Barbara Nadel

Grr, internet is stupidly slow today. 

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great deal! I hope you enjoy all of your new books :D. I own Little Face but I haven't read it yet.

Thanks ! There are quite a few books in my latest haul which were in my ` buy at some point ` pile ( I was actually looking on Amazon at that Jane Austen Book Club book just this week ), so I`m really pleased. :)

Thanks ! There are quite a few books in my latest haul which were in my ` buy at some point ` pile ( I was actually looking on Amazon at that Jane Austen Book Club book just this week ), so I`m really pleased. :)

Such lucky finds :D!!

How is Xiao-Xiao?

Such lucky finds :D!!

How is Xiao-Xiao?

She`s lovely. :) It`s 20C and sunny - unlike yesterday when it was cold and thunderstormy - so she`s out in the garden, exploring things ( like my new raspberry bush ).

How are all your animals doing ?  :D

She`s lovely. :) It`s 20C and sunny - unlike yesterday when it was cold and thunderstormy - so she`s out in the garden, exploring things ( like my new raspberry bush ).

How are all your animals doing ?  :D

Awww, that's so cute :).

Boris and Pamuk are well, though the current hot weather is a bit too much for them so they spent some time inside as well (it will cool down soon). At other times they love the weather and lie outside (Pamuk in particular loves sun-bathing; Boris gets too warm with his thick fur). My parents were away for a few days, so the dogs spent some more time with us. They were very excited when my parents got back. The goats are okay, no change really (William often has a bit of trouble walking, that's still the same. But the vet has no idea what's causing it or how to help him). The chicken are well, we haven't lost any to a predator in a while. Fingers crossed it will stay this way for a long time! We don't have new chicklings yet though, I hope we can have another 'nest' of them this year, but it hasn't happened yet.

Awww, that's so cute :).

Boris and Pamuk are well, though the current hot weather is a bit too much for them so they spent some time inside as well (it will cool down soon). At other times they love the weather and lie outside (Pamuk in particular loves sun-bathing; Boris gets too warm with his thick fur). My parents were away for a few days, so the dogs spent some more time with us. They were very excited when my parents got back. The goats are okay, no change really (William often has a bit of trouble walking, that's still the same. But the vet has no idea what's causing it or how to help him). The chicken are well, we haven't lost any to a predator in a while. Fingers crossed it will stay this way for a long time! We don't have new chicklings yet though, I hope we can have another 'nest' of them this year, but it hasn't happened yet.

Lovely animal news. :D

Xiao-Xiao lies under the sun lounger when she gets too warm ; it`s a favourite spot.  :smile:

And - in exciting news - the Openreach ( telephone) engineer has just left and the broadband is fixed - huzzah ! The phone line wasn`t working at all - no incoming/outgoing calls - but luckily there was one connection still working, and so the broadband worked. 

And - in exciting news - the Openreach ( telephone) engineer has just left and the broadband is fixed - huzzah ! The phone line wasn`t working at all - no incoming/outgoing calls - but luckily there was one connection still working, and so the broadband worked.

That's great :D!!

Can I just say.. I love that sofa / chair thing with the book pattern on it :D (what's that called in English? I'm not sure.). Great website :D! I don't think I know many of the authors who were interviewed.

Armchair, and I want one! I love the pattern too!

#70   Turn Coat - Jim Butcher   More Wizardy fun.

#71   Call it Coincidence - Frances and Richard Lockridge   Widow is asked to witness little old lady`s Will, only for her to die mere hours later. Whodunnit isn`t in any doubt, but howdunnit was pretty clever. 

#72,#73,#74   Sprit Legacy, Spirit Prophecy, Spirit Ascendancy - EE Holmes   The Gateway Trilogy - excellent ! :)   Jess and her Mother moved across America, never staying long in one place and not having any Family contact. When Jess` Mother dies in odd circumstances, Jess goes to live with her Aunt - who she`s never met before. There`s a strange book and mysterious phone calls, but Jess hopes to put it all behind her as she goes off to College nearby... Only to find that the Strangeness has followed her... 

Jess is helped by her lovely, nerdy roommate Tia and by a Professor of the Paranormal. The characters leap off the page - they`re endearing, scary -  the action keeps coming, but there`s also a lot of humour. 

I read one book after another and loved them. If you like this sort of Urban fantasy, they`re a delight. 

BTW, the books are currently at the top of the Kindle Horror Fantasy list - Click.  They`re not Stephen King scary. ;)

#75   The Pleasure Cruise Mystery - Robin Forsythe  Mystery from 1933. Artist/Amateur Detective goes on cruise and a woman is murdered. Clever who/howdunnit, set on a cruise to Lisbon. Nice Golden Age read.

#76, #77  The Source, The Void - JD Horn    2nd and 3rd of the Witching Savannah trilogy, following directly on from The Line.   Enjoyable Urban Fantasy, though I didn`t enjoy the 3rd book as much as the first two. 

#78 The Basle Express - Manning Coles   1956.  British spy Tommy Hambledon wakes up on the Anglo-Swiss Express to hear his roommate being murdered over some secret documents and gets pulled into the investigation. Wisecracking and some very funny scenes.  

Edited by Little Pixie

Books read : 78                      TBR 843              New Books Bought : 100                       Total Cost : £323.45

New books - Show Red for danger( £7.30 ),  With One Stone ( £8.02 ),  The Distant Clue ( £7.50 ) -  Frances and Richard Lockridge, Death lights a candle - Phoebe Atwood taylor ( £2.81 ),   Close Quarters -Michael Gilbert (£2.83 ) , Side Jobs - Jim Butcher (£3.04 ).

Edited by Little Pixie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I really thought it was a trilogy, wrapping up the story. I own the first 2 books but I haven't read them yet as I often wait until I have all the books before I read a trilogy. I hope you enjoy the 4th book :).

Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about that, I loved the first book, not keen on the second and liked the third, which came to full ending in my opinion.

I loved the first two, and was iffy about the third ; I like the idea of getting another story, `cos I liked the characters so much. :)

What I`m not sure of is the TV show - I think I`d`ve liked to see a film instead.