Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2016

Little Pixie

Charity shop books - Ghostwritten ( David Mitchell ), The Believers ( Zoe Heller ) and Hiding from the Light ( Barbara Erskine ) - all for £3.75 :)

I went to cheer myself up with books after seeing the chiropodist ( I needed 3/4 of my big toenails removed `cos of infection ; hopefully, I`ll be able to stop the antibiotics soon - I`ve been taking them since December ). My toes look a bit scary now, but I`m sure they`ll fell better soon. :)

Ouch!  I hope they are better, by now! 

Great prices on the charity shop books.  Yeow! :D

Thank you and thank you !  :D

11 books arrived today in the post from the US, which has made me very cheerful ( there may have been an ` I`ve got books Happy Dance` ;)  ).

Always a wonderful feeling!  Triple Yays!

Love to see the pics, too! :readingtwo:

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch!  I hope they are better, by now! 

Thanks ! :D  I`m feeling less bleurgh now ; I just have to be careful rolling over in bed ( even wearing two pairs of thermal, fleecy socks, my denuded toes make me go eek!  a little ). 

Thanks for the pics! I haven't heard of most of those books, but some of the covers sure are nice. :)

I do like those graphic art covers, where they use 3 or 4 colours to construct a blocky picture.  :smile: Pretty lucky that those books still have their dust covers after all these decades.  :D

Thanks ! :D  I`m feeling less bleurgh now ; I just have to be careful rolling over in bed ( even wearing two pairs of thermal, fleecy socks, my denuded toes make me go eek!  a little ).

I'm glad you're feeling less bad :)

Thanks . :D  I especially like the look of the green one with the cat line drawing and the catch as catch can purply/pink design.  :smile:

Those are both really pretty I think :D!

Books read : 49                      TBR 860              New Books Bought : 85                       Total Cost : £282.75

I`ve bought 11 more of the Frances & Richard Lockridge books, plus Quieter than Sleep - Joanne Dobson, 5 of Jim Butcher`s The Dresden Files books, The Black Stocking - Constance & Gwenyth Little, The Last Word - Lisa Lutz, The Outside World - Tova Mirvis and Aunt Dimity and the Summer King - Nancy Atherton. :)

#50   From Bad to Wurst - Maddy Hunter    Emily takes her Senior Tour Group off to Germany for Octoberfest and there`s - wait for it - yet another murder. Hilarity ensues. 

#51  Made up to Kill - Kelley Roos   Amusing 1940`a murder mystery. Not bad.

#52   Trail of the Spellmans - Lisa Lutz   Another episode in the life of the Spellman Family, San Francisco detectives. A fun read, but I don`t think the books have ever quite recaptured the brilliance of the first book in the series. 

#53   The Message of the Mute Dog - Charlotte Murray Russell    1942. Female sleuth investigates murder in Illinois defence factory. okay.

#54   The Dark Vineyard - Martin Walker      Arson in a small town in France, investigated by Bruno, Chief of Police. A good mystery with lovely characters.

#55   Invisible City - Julia Dahl      Brooklyn reporter investigates a murder in the Hasidic community. Good but flawed - I felt the ending was rushed, but I enjoyed the characters and will look out for Book Two in the series. Warning - I read this after reading a bunch of cosy mysteries and did think yikes at the adult language/content. It`s not really bad, but it was startling compared to my usual reads.  ;)

#56   The Ghost and the Dead Man`s Library - Alice Kimberly  Bookshop owner Penelope and her ghost friend - and former PI - Jack, investigate a possible murder involving a collector of Edgar Allen Poe books. Lovely.  :smile:

#57   The Age of Miracles - Karen Thompson Walker    A coming of age story set during a Global catastrophe. Readable.  

#58   The Collected Stories - Amanda Cross   Short mystery stories involving academic Kate Fansler. Some of the resolutions aren`t really mysteriously astounding, but the writing is a delight.  :D

#59   Blythewood - Carol Goodman   Set around 1910 in New York State. Orphan Ava thinks she`s having hallucinations, but it turns out her visions are real. She goes off to Blythewood Academy ( her Mother`s Alma Mater ) and discovers the truth about her Mother, while getting caught up in a magical adventure. A cracking read and one of my favourite books of the year so far.  :D

#60 , #61   The Ghost and the Femme Fatale, the Ghost and the haunted Mansion - Alice Kimberly   More fun reads.  :smile:   

#62   Postscript to Poison - Dorothy Bowers  Readable.

#63   Murder 101 - Maggie Barbieri  Liked the characters and the humour, but the mystery was poor. I`m still tempted to give Book Two a go, though. 

#64   One Lady, Two Cats - Richard Lockridge   Memoir. Widower and his two Siamese cats invite his future wife to visit. A sweet story of love and cats.  :smile:

#65, #66, #67   Blood Rites, Dead Beat, Proven Guilty - Jim Butcher   Excellent !  :D

Books read : 67                      TBR 842              New Books Bought : 85                       Total Cost : £282.75

Edited by Little Pixie

67!  Wow!  I'm at something like 21 or 22......lol.  Good going! 

Thank you ! I`m stuck in a Dresden Files rut atm ( though a very good rut - I just want to read one after another. ) I`ve got one more to read, then I have to loiter on my doormat waiting for post from the US ( `cos those were the cheapest books ) since they do have to be read in order....... Erm, that sentence makes sense to me. :hide:  

Ooh, we have new `kitchen caddies` from the Council , so we can recycle food waste. Plus, our cardboard is going to be picked up again ! Hurray ! No more throwing out all the Amazon packaging !  :smile:

Edited by Little Pixie

Going ok on this end Pixie . Thanks for asking .

I need to get a book list made of what I've read so far this year .  It looks like you have really done great so far !

Thank you !  :D I do like disappearing into other Worlds.  :smile:

That's one of the nice things about books -- we can live in a lot of other lands and meet other people without leaving our chair !

Aw, that`s lovely.  :D

When you think that the novel hasn`t been around that long - and reasonably priced paperbacks even less - it`s an art form which has really taken over.  :smile: