Attempting New Recipes

BookShelfy91

Tonight I am a little bit proud of myself. I made my first attempt at cooking Lamb Shanks in the oven and also cooking Bread and butter pudding. Both turned out amazingly, An afternoon of work well spent. Incredibly proud, also a very happy well fed fiance, housemate and fiance's dad.

So my question is, when have you attempted a brand new recipe, stories, good and bad, all welcome. Also, has anyone made these things before? Any tips to make them better next time, because guaranteed every time I cook something it is slightly different.

Shelfy

Well done! Lamb isn't popular where I live so I've only ever had it once or twice. On Hell's Kitchen they cook it a lot and it always seems like the toughest dish on their menu! 

I have a bottle of Apothic Red wine I bought ages ago to use in making coq au vin, but I haven't gotten up the courage. I've never cooked with wine before so its a bit intimidating for me! This weekend I do plan on making Swedish meatballs from scratch, though! If they turn out I plan to have them over mashed sour cream and chive cauliflower.

I made a curried chicken pilaf on Friday that was a partial success. The problem I had was that the recipe was only for one person, so I had to try to scale it up for four. Should have been simple, but I made it into a full-on drama. It was lovely and tasty, but it really didn't have much curry flavour - I would have liked it a lot more fiery. Still, definitely a keeper.

Oh wow that would have been fun! At least you know for next time what to work on and change :)

I was incredibly worried about the shanks too, hours and hours spent worrying about just how badly I could stuff it up. I say go for it :) You never know until you try! Even if it isn't perfect the first time around, you learn what to alter and change next time.

Shelfy

Great idea for a topic! It's nice to hear people's experiences with trying out recipes.

A while ago we tried out a recipe given to us from the supermarket. It involved rice, chicken, green beans and onions in a home made flavour mix, with cripsy baked onions on top. We tried out the meal and we really liked it. Since then, we've had it several times, but we have changed a few things about the recipe, to suit us slightly better. For example, we've left off the ginger in the flavour mix, because the second time we made it, we didn't have any ginger in the house. We felt it didn't make a huge difference in the taste, so we've not used it for this recipe since. We've also substituted the chicken for a particular kind of chorizo sausage that makes the recipe taste slightly different, we prefer it this way. This meal has become one of our (many) favourite meals and we've been eating it quite a bit since we tried out the initial recipe :).

I have recently tried 3 different recipes that I got from Southern Living Magazine. All three turned out terrible. My wife has threatened me if I try any more recipes from the magazine. :)

LOL, yesterday I tried another recipe (Beef Burgundy Stew) from the magazine but I changed it around quite a bit. My version included cooking it in the slow cooker:

Bison Roast cut in cubes (browned in a pan then put in the slow cooker)

onion chopped in big chunks

Yukon gold potatoes cubed

4 large carrots sliced

butter

olive oil

burgundy wine

beef stock

thyme

salt pepper

I cooked it yesterday and will have it for dinner tonight.

Edited by muggle not

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone!

My fiance's dad and his partner gave us a slow cooker as an engagement pressie. It's been in the house for about two weeks and tonight it finally got used for the first time. Only because I wanted to use it on a friday or saturday so I had time to play around. Made a very simple beef stew and was a massively big hit! I never realized how easy these kinds of things are! One very proud girl here tonight. Will have to make another attempt.

Shelfy

My fiance's dad and his partner gave us a slow cooker as an engagement pressie. It's been in the house for about two weeks and tonight it finally got used for the first time. Only because I wanted to use it on a friday or saturday so I had time to play around. Made a very simple beef stew and was a massively big hit! I never realized how easy these kinds of things are! One very proud girl here tonight. Will have to make another attempt.

I have an Instant Pot which is a slow cooker and a pressure cooker among other things. I love trying new recipes and sometimes adapt them to suit the kids and their likes and dislikes, it is great for batch cooking too so I always have something I can grab out of the freezer at short notice. :)