Physical book vs Electronic copy

Panda

Hi all, I'm new to the forums so apologies if something like this has been done already OR this is in the wrong place.

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the physical copy vs electronic copy debate? I for one much prefer the electronic copy and it's never really been something that I could explain.

I've always wanted to read more and I tried many times to get into reading. I would go to the local bookstore and ask for recommendations etc., however I can never really get into it and got bored quite quickly. It wasn't until I remembered that my iPhone has the "iBook" app that I really got into reading. I tried it out for evening due to curiously and before I knew it, it was 2am and I was already half way through the book! This had never happened when I read from a physical copy.

Has anyone else every experienced this? If so, why do you think it is? If you haven't experienced this, why do you much prefer the physical copy?

Panda.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Panda,

I read both physical and electronic books.

For me E-readers are good because

- take up less space

- easy to refer back - check who a character is etc.

- easy to look up the occasional word I don't know

- instant access to a book I can't wait for

- when travelling, easier than lugging umpteen books around

However if buying a book (all of my e-books are free review copies from publishers), I still buy paper copies because:

- seeing the cover, is half the experience

- when looking for a book that I've read, but can't quite remember what it is called, I will easily find it in my bookshelves - not a chance on my e-reader.

- if there are pictures/diagrams etc. a book is better

- if I'm likely to want to refer back to a book - ie its a text book / self help etc., then a paper book is definitely better for me.

It might be an age thing :(   

Thanks for the great post!

I also prefer the book with its cover, it's simply amazing..! But yesterday I ordered an ereader. After a lot of thought i understood that portability is really important if you move a lot. So either we like it or not we will all end up with some ebooks.

Panda I ve never heard any similar situation! But I m guessing what ever suits you :) books is all about having fun, so it doesnt matter how you read them!

I'm prefer a book with a cover, reading a ebook is just not for me.
Mostly I'm reading a book before i'm going to sleep but if i'm doing that with a ebook I can't sleep for a few hours because of the light.

Also, I can't concentrate on the story with a ebook while I haven't that problem with a actual book :)

I'm prefer a book with a cover, reading a ebook is just not for me.

Mostly I'm reading a book before i'm going to sleep but if i'm doing that with a ebook I can't sleep for a few hours because of the light.

Also, I can't concentrate on the story with a ebook while I haven't that problem with a actual book :)

You are right! But maybe you use a tablet so I will agree with the light problem! E readers are less tiring and kindle voyage can slowly reduce the light in order to adjust the eye in the dark... I m just saying if you cant for any reason read a real book try an ereader its far better i think

I don't have an e-reader and don't particularly want one, although I think they're brilliant for holidays and long train/plane journeys (speaking as someone who's had to pay excess baggage for taking loads of books on holiday :doh: ), however I sit and look at a screen all day so don't really want to look at one when I'm reading for pleasure as well, although if George R R Martin ever finishes the 6th Game of Thrones novel then I might give in and get one just to read that, as it will probably be a huge book :smile:

I've heard they're also really good for people who can't hold a book easily, a friend of mine has very bad arthritis and finds it hard to hold a book and turn the pages, so for him it's brilliant.  I think there is a place for them, but I prefer a real book, and find it easier to look back through a real book too, especially if I want to refer to a family tree.

I don't read e-books because I find it hard to read from a screen for a long time. I have a kindle fire now but I use it more like an easily portable laptop than an e-reader. I did try to use it to read and I do use it to make notes in books when I'm working sometimes, or to search for a word in a book, but I've never been able to sit and read a whole book from it. I have never tried an e-reader with the special screen for reading though (is it called paperwhite, or is that a make?) so maybe it would be different with one of those.

I like paper books anyway. I like being able to browse through them in a shop, see the cover, physically see how far through it you are. And, of course, there is the new book smell (or really old book smell - even better!) which you don't get from an e-reader  :D

There is no doubt that a real book is by far the best option! But as Madeleine says if you travel ereaders are what you need! I purchased kindle voyage because the screen is mat and it feels a bit like a paper page. Time will show me if I made the right decision. :) :))

I have never tried an e-reader with the special screen for reading though (is it called paperwhite, or is that a make?) so maybe it would be different with one of those.

The Kindle Paperwhite is a type of Kindle, so it's a model of a make. There are more e-readers that have the e-ink screen, not just the Paperwhite :).

There are plenty of people who prefer e-readers, and plenty who prefer paperbooks (or physical books or treebooks, whatever you want to call them). We have some of both here.

I much prefer physical books (small and medium paperbacks, specifically, or smaller and medium Dutch library books, they are like hardcovers without the annoying flappy bit). I own a Kindle Paperwhite and for an e-reader I'm relatively happy with it. It's easy when you travel, that taking a book with you doesn't weigh so much.

Even so I much prefer to read physical books. I read a physical book faster than a Kindle book. I like the feel of a paperbook in my hands (as stated, nothing too huge), I like the smell of paperbooks, I like the way they all have different fonts, and the way they feel different in my hands (with an e-reader, it's just one font most of the time, and it always feels the same). I love the way the covers and spines of paperbooks look on my shelves. I really don't like that for most of my Kindle books, there are no page numbers.

I don't like that I can't easily flick between where I am reading, and for example the first page where there might be a map or family tree. I do like that I can highlight on the Kindle and consult the dictionary (though half the time I look something up it must be slang or something, because it isn't actually in the dictionary of the Kindle). I like that with a paperbook, I don't need to 'recharge' it when the battery is low. I can just always read it, as long as there's light. I do like the light on my Kindle Paperwhite, but to conserve battery the light is only on when it's a bit dark around me, not when there is enough light to read.

I don't like that when I try to read in the hot sunshine in summer my Kindle gets all blurry and unresponsive, which you don't have with a paperbook. I don't read outside that often, though. I like how the chapters in paperbook usually start on a new page, and the Kindle seems to have more typoes (though this latter thing is perhaps because I read more self published books on my Kindle). I like being able to find a paperbook on my shelves.

With the Kindle, it is awkward trying to find a specific book or seeing what you've already got. I have quite a few Kindle books, a lot of them freebies, and I have them organised in collections, and even then I sometimes have to scroll quite a few pages (there are only 6 on one page), before I get to the one I wanted. I tend to forget Kindle books are there, because you don't see them. You can't stand in front of your book case and see your Kindle book spines. The closest thing would be to install the Kindle app on the PC and scroll through there, but that only shows 9 books as well (for my screen).

My Kindle can be a bit slow, and it annoys me sometimes. It is slower than my phone, for example. I don't like that the 'time left in chapter' statistic is always messed up, displaying only a couple of minutes at most and less than 1 minute at least, I think because when I just had my Kindle, in 2013, I tended to flick back and forth to see ie. the cover, the introduction or other things, and it's remembered that. So I just make it so I don't see that statistic, because it annoys me. I have it set to just 'the location' though I really wish it would show page numbers instead (but most of the books I read on there, don't show page numbers).

I also don't like that you can't see the synopsis of a book without connecting online. With a physical book I can just read the back of the book, and I always read the back of the book before I (decide to) start the book. With my Kindle, I have the wifi turned off to save battery (because it's so annoying when you want to read, but you can't because it has to charge up). But I can't see the synopsis without connecting online, most of the time. If it's even there and not too spoilery.

Then there is the price. Because I buy physical books in library sales, charity shops and book fairs, they are cheaper than a lot of Kindle ebooks. The US and UK seem to get much better deals. I use the Amazon US store, because when I got my Kindle from Amazon US there was no Amazon NL, and now I don't want to switch because Amazon US is far superior, in content of English books and English / American freebies, and in price. With Amazon US, I have to pay extra taxes, compared to people from the US. I prefer to read in English, if the original book was in English. Translated works always cost more (here at least). It's also nice to find books in a (book)shop or bookfair or library sale, and to come home with some books. Though online shopping and having the physical books delivered to your doorstep, can be nice too.

And finally.. I just much prefer reading a physical book, over reading on my Kindle. The Kindle is nice for when I travel, and for short stories and novellas that wouldn't be published as a paperbook (this is mainly what I buy for my Kindle nowadays, as well as freebies and self published books), but otherwise I much prefer to read paperbooks, for all of the reasons mentioned above and more. I just prefer the feel of a paperbook in my hands.

I didn't realise this has got so long :blush2:.

Although I do still buy and read some tree books, I generally prefer ebooks.  I've got a Kindle Paperwhite which I adore, and find it so easy to read.  I can also read ebooks on my tablet and phone, but this is really only for a short period of time, as the backlit screen eventually takes its toll on my eyes, but the Kindle's e-ink technology feels just like reading text on a paper page, so I can read that all day with no problems.

I now find books can sometimes be awkward ... not so easy to hold, the typeface can be too small or feint, and you need two hands to turn pages! With the Kindle, I can adjust text size, brightness and even use it handsfree making it a much more enjoyable experience for me.

Before I tried my first ebook reader, I never thought I'd be a convert, but I was so impressed with it, my reading is probably around 75% on the Kindle now. :D

I read both e-books and physical books. I don't have an e-book reading device though. I read online e-books on my notebook and I have some e-books on my smartphone which I read using adobe. It works fine. It's great to get e-books from the internet, because not all books are available in the Netherlands. And of course it's amazing to have so much reading material without having to carry the weight.

However, I still prefer physical books over e-books. My book case is my favourite piece of furniture. I love seeing my book in it. I enjoy the sight of books anywhere. No e-book could ever really replace 'the real thing' for me. 

They both have their good and bad points. The obvious one for e-readers is the space it saves, and that it's often easier than reading a massive paperbook. But with a paperbook, it's easier to flick through the pages if you are looking for something in particular, you often get nice embossed covers and they just look good.

When I got my Kindle years ago, I was reading 95% ebooks and 5% treebooks, but the problem is that it costs a fair bit of money and it's so much easier to impulse buy an ebook. This year I've started going to the library again, and most of the books I have read have been treebooks. I'd forgotten how enjoyable it is to read a treebook and to browse books at the library and see what catches my eye.

I will go back to reading Kindle books again (because I have so many on there) but at the moment I'm slightly obsessed by going to library each week. And because the library books have a due date they have to be my priority reads. :readingtwo:

Although I do still buy and read some tree books, I generally prefer ebooks.  I've got a Kindle Paperwhite which I adore, and find it so easy to read.  I can also read ebooks on my tablet and phone, but this is really only for a short period of time, as the backlit screen eventually takes its toll on my eyes, but the Kindle's e-ink technology feels just like reading text on a paper page, so I can read that all day with no problems.

I now find books can sometimes be awkward ... not so easy to hold, the typeface can be too small or feint, and you need two hands to turn pages! With the Kindle, I can adjust text size, brightness and even use it handsfree making it a much more enjoyable experience for me.

Before I tried my first ebook reader, I never thought I'd be a convert, but I was so impressed with it, my reading is probably around 75% on the Kindle now. :D

:I-Agree:

A subject I have discussed with friends,many times! I have a collection of

'Real Books', numbering around two thousand;it used to be greater but

I had to ruthlessly thin it out a few years back, for space reasons! And I

have my ereader, which makes carrying around a full series of works by

an author, so simple! Also the number of free ebooks online, that have

passed the copyright restrictions, is amazing. I am currently using ebook

versions of classics, to fill gaps in my 'self education' of the books that I

SHOULD have read before, but never got around to.

And still loving the look and feel of a 'real' book, when I get one, which is

something that if you experience it, will never leave you! So, the best of

both worlds, if you pace yourself and do not get tangled up in pointless

regrets or dislike of one format or the other. I just love reading, always

have and always will. The format is irrelevant to me, so long as I enjoy

the book I am reading!

I love going round book shops, looking for new books to buy, I do tend to go for what is on the cover, but it also lets me buy other book topics, authors that I would not necessarily have gone for.

I also have my ereader which I love as if I have a spare ten minutes can read a book that way, also the same as others easier to take away and not have to lug books around, although I usually do take a couple away with me as well.  Old habits die hard.  I do find if I am reading a book on my ereader on a night time in bed, time goes so quickly and it is usually the early hours before I realise it, so have to watch out for that.

Physical books all the way.  I'm not remotely interested in a Kindle, or its equivalent.  

I love the smell of books, the feel of them, their covers, and the crinkles in their spines.  I enjoy seeing the jut of my bookmark, that shows how far I am, and how much I have still to read.

It's all very sensory.   ;)

Plus, I take a delight in glancing over at my bookshelves and seeing all those much-loved books, which bring back memories, and remind me that yes, I need to re-read them soon -- if only I had the time!  

Edited by Onion Budgie

I used to be a huge advocate for eBooks, both due to my extensive reading lists as well as my status as a student, which meant that I would be constantly moving across the country and dragging a cartload of books behind me. With my Kindle, this was no longer an issue. I could buy as many books as I liked, without the worry of how I would carry them. As someone who travels extensively, a Kindle was a life-changer.

However, my difficulty with my Kindle came in its very ability to carry so many different kinds of books. As soon as I became bored of one book, I would instantly switch to another. I used to do this so often, that I would rarely manage to finish a whole book, so impulsive was my personality.

So I once again returned to the paper novel. And so far, it has been a release. I have managed to finish so many novels that have been withering on my to-read shelf. Not only that, but in an odd way, I am able to truly immerse myself into a paper novel in a way that I cannot do with a Kindle. I'm not sure why - perhaps a Kindle just takes some getting used to. There is something about having the feel and texture of a paper book within your palms that cannot be described (at least by me). Plus, as an eager book collector, I am no longer satisfied with an eBook, but require a physical copy (preferably with a nicely illustrated cover) to relish upon my bookshelf - especially if it is a book I adore.

Having said all that, I don't think I could ever turn against my Kindle. It is my saviour during my travels. To quote the infamous Stephen Fry, 'Books are no more threatened by Kindle than stairs by elevators.'

I read a physical book faster than a Kindle book.

I agree with this (and a lot of other very interesting points that you raised).

I read both physical and e books, but I have to admit that I read more ebooks now simply due to the fact that my Kindle is more convenient for me.  I seem to be able to read a lot quicker with a Kindle.  Part of the reason is my keyboard Kindle has the text-to-speech feature and I let it read to me when I'm doing housework.  I am hoping to get a lot more of my physical books read this summer when I'm off from work though.

I use to be very anti e-reader several years ago and couldn't imagine reading from anything but a physical book.  I thought the experience would seem impersonal some how.  I now own two Kindles, a keyboard Kindle that's a few years old and Kindle Fire.  I have a lot of trouble reading on the Kindle Fire because it's back lit and bothers my eyes, but my keyboard Kindle isn't back lit and doesn't bother my eyes anymore than a regular book would.  

• 2 weeks later...

In principle I prefer physical books: more tactile, more attractive, easier to track how far through you are - i.e. most of the reasons already given by aficionados.  However, there are times when an e-book scores, and again many have been listed: better when travelling (especially when on a cycling tour!), better late at night (especially when not wanting to disturb a sleeping partner!) etc.  There have been times when I've bought the e-version simply because the font has been way too small in the paper version - almost always when the paperback version  has been photoreduced from the hardback version.  I also have a collection of Folio Society books which I love to read, but don't want to travel round with.  As they are mostly of classics, the e-book version is usually free, so I tend to read the FS book when at home, but swap to my Kindle when away.

One point that has been touched on, but to me is a major difference, is that the Kindle is, IMO, a FAR superior reading tool to a tablet.  Backlit tablets are horribly eye-straining in the long term, and not much good for anything other than a few minutes reading.  I can, in contrast, read my paperwhite Kindle for hours, it being front lit, with e-ink pages.  The difference is not always recognised by those who say they don't read e-readers because they already read from screens enough, or find them tiring.  When you dig further, these are almost always tablet or laptop readers.

Last year of the 70 books I got through, 40 were paper books, 18 were e-books, 10 were a mixture of both, and 2 were audio books.

One point that has been touched on, but to me is a major difference, is that the Kindle is, IMO, a FAR superior reading tool to a tablet.  Backlit tablets are horribly eye-straining in the long term, and not much good for anything other than a few minutes reading.  I can, in contrast, read my paperwhite Kindle for hours, it being front lit, with e-ink pages.

This is very true! I cannot stand to read on a tablet screen for longer than 15 minutes or so. My Kindle is so much better in that regard.