Favourite books from childhood?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was about 9, an Aunt bought me a box set of classic novels which I still have somewhere. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens was one of the first books I ever read on my own and I fell in love with it! It still remains my favourite classic novel and in my top 3 all time favourite books.

Not a typical childs book.....haa!

I never read "Anne of Green Gables," but used to loooovee the tv series called "Avonlea" that was sort of a spin-off from the "A of GG" books. Did anyone else watch "Avonlea" or read "A of GG?" My love for the show makes me wonder if I'd enjoy the A of GG books..

I really love the Anne books, Bethany, and the miniseries is wonderful! I can't tell you how many times I've seen the Kevin Sullivan adaptation w/Megan Follows. The summer I graduated high school I even took a trip to Prince Edward Island and went on an 'Anne of GG' tour - SO much fun! I haven't seen the Avonlea series, but I would highly recommend LM Montgomery's Anne books ;).

When I was about 9 or 10 I was introduced to Harry Potter and still enjoy reading the books ;)

Before that I was a huge Enid Blyton fan.

Lord of the Rings I tried to read when the films came out, and I wish I stuck at it as I am reading them now and think they are amazing.

I am the same with Harry, I grew up with him!

Before that I was mainly into Jacquiline Wilson (and still have all the books I had by her, The Lottie Project was my favourite), and I even wrote to her (still have her reply too) I kind of wish I had written to JK Rowling too, if I had when I read the first book I might have actually got a reply!

When I was little and not so hung up on needing to own books, I adored series; my favourites (in no particular order) were:

- R.L. Stine's "Goosebumps", especially the "Night of The Living Dummy" ones

- "Point Horror", especially the sad romance ones with vampires in them

- Enid Blyton's "The Famous Five", although I remember trying ginger beer to emulate them and thinking it was terrible. I like it now, but it was a taste that definitely took some acquiring.

- I loved game books, the type (usually fantasy or horror) where you toss dice and/or make choices, flip to the indicated page and either live or die, that kind of thing. They used to drive me up the wall when I died though, lol.

I forgot about these books! I used to read R L Stine as a teenager and thought they were the scariest things ever!! ;)

I forgot about these books! I used to read R L Stine as a teenager and thought they were the scariest things ever!! :)

;) I was talking about these the other day with my flatmate. I used to love them, but they did used to scare me too. :)

I liked the Babysitter's Club too.

Oh I had loads of books as a child,lots of memories coming flooding back!!

I loved,The Babysitter's Club, Sweet Valley High,Goosebumbs series,Point Horror series. I also loved the Judy Blume books,especially Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Blubber-read them so many times when I was younger,I must dig them out again!! I was also a massive fan of Enid Blyton books,especially The Famous Five. I'm getting so nostalgic now! I still have a lot of these books,I'm glad I kept them now as I'd like to read them to my daughter (Or any more kids I might have) when she's older,she's 2 and she loves books so..

I was a bit odd with popular books, I refused to read Goosebumps (but I did read Animal Ark...where all the books were basically the same!), and I refused to read The Famous Five but loved the adventure series and the secret 7, I was into Jacquiline Wilson before she was really popular. I read all the Judy Blume books too (starting with the Fudge books) and Paula Danziger. I read a lot of Linda Newberry too (the shouting wind thrilogy was my favourite, I wouldn't mind owning that actually) and Phillip Pullman (that was in secondary school though). Oh and the teenage worrier books! Can you tell I practically lived in the library at school?

The Magic Faraway Tree books were great.

I love my brother for life ;) He got me the set of The Magic Faraway Tree for my birthday because he remembered they were my favourite books when growing up. My uncle let me borrow his whole set of Enid Blyton books, and after 3 - 4 years of me having them he asked for them back :) I was not a happy bunny.

I loved,The Babysitter's Club, Sweet Valley High,

Oh my god. Me and my sister had a HUGE collection of these books. We had to give them all away though, cause when we got older we hardly touched them. ;) And I remember reading a couple of books of Full House. :) That was such a long time ago!

I still have all of my BSC books. I kept them in a cupboard for years and meant to get rid of them but I was too lazy. Then one day I decided that I would keep them for good. I haven't read any in many years but I bought a few of the last books at a book fair a year or two ago because I want to see how it ends. (I believe they all finally turned 14!) ;)

I'd have to say mine were Point Horror Books , they were Fab , I loved all of them , I have four Favourites that I read over and Over but these were great reads and I really enjoyed them !!

That Mallory Towers Sounds so Good , I might have to try and find it , I like books like that ;)

Point Horror Unleashed books were awesome!

I'd love to get my hands on a copy of Catchman - that was a superb book.

Were'nt they ....I think I have that one , I'll have a look on the weekend ! I know I have over 50 .....!!!;)

The Magic Tree House books, for sure! I remember when the 3rd graders at my school made a fake tree house for the school library and the librarian wouldn't let me sit in it because I was a 4th grader. My absolute favorite was the Little House series, though. Some other old favorites of mine are A Series of Unfortunate Events and *laughs* Captain Underpants. I still have my huge collection of American Girl Doll books, too. I miss the old days :')