chrysalis_stage

Nature Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Reading now?:Kraken - China Mieville
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

Biff and Chip books :lol: I loved one where they found a secret room. I can remember re-reading these books a few years ago and still loving them :D

ahh i love them too, the memories...:)

got the book of 'spywatch - Derek Farmer' when we were doing it at school, that was fun (primary school) anyone else remember that?

#42 Lucybird

Lucybird

Wind-Up Bird

• Advanced Member
  • 3,451 posts
  • Reading now?:Delusions of Gender
  • LocationBirmingham UK

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

I used to love a book called Magical Powers which I think was by Mary Hoffman, I only ever saw it at the local library, never in a bookshop so unfortunately I never owned it.

Roald Dahl of course. Enid Blyton (but I refused to read The Famous Five). When I was really young I loved the Pippo books. Oh books by Shirley Hughes, especially the My Naughty Little Sister ones

#43 chrysalis_stage

chrysalis_stage

Nature Lover

• Advanced Member
  • 1,338 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

IEnid Blyton (but I refused to read The Famous Five).

yeah same, dunno why, i had a couple that my mum got me and i gave them to my friend who liked them

#44 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,862 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

The Famous Five were epic, Julian was obviously gay, George wanted to be a man, they had a magical lassie style dog more intelligent than any actual dog and I don't even remember the other characters. Hurrah! I loved them. Smugglars top was my favourite I think.

#45 Lucybird

Lucybird

Wind-Up Bird

• Advanced Member
  • 3,451 posts
  • LocationBirmingham UK

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

yeah same, dunno why, i had a couple that my mum got me and i gave them to my friend who liked them

I think it was because they were the more famous ones, I wanted something less popular. Or maybe because we had one of them on tape and they all sounded like rabbits :lol:

#46 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,774 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

I used to love a book called Magical Powers which I think was by Mary Hoffman, I only ever saw it at the local library, never in a bookshop so unfortunately I never owned it.

Could it have been Special Powers, rather than Magical ones? If so, Amazon have it!

#47 Lucybird

Lucybird

Wind-Up Bird

• Advanced Member
  • 3,451 posts
  • LocationBirmingham UK

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

Why did I never think to look on Amazon? Yes that looks like it. I'm tempted to buy that, I bet it won't meet up to my memories though.

I had forgotten one of the characters was called Archie...maybe I subconsciously remembered it, Archie is my boyfriends name!

#48 Rawr

Rawr

\__o_O__/

• Advanced Member
  • 3,556 posts
  • Reading now?:Through The Looking Glass, And What Alice Found There / The City And The City
  • Locationx Castle Discordia

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:08 AM

I loved Enid Blyton books too - The Faraway Tree was amazing! xD Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one i read a lot, i had an illustrated version :lol: Also, there was a series of books i remember reading in primary school, i think they were entitled 'Tim and Tobias' - it was about this boy and his cat having random adventures in the night time, was really cool.

#49 Chrissy

Chrissy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 8,254 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

Gobbolino The Witches Cat by Ursula Moray Williams. I adored this book.

#50 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,774 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

Me too!

I still have my copy somewhere from donkey's years ago (the one with the pretty pink cover). I might even dig it out and re-read it now you've reminded me of it! :eek:

#51 Epo

Epo

Settling In

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

Anything by Roal Dahl or Enid Blyton. My absolute favourite was "The Giraffe, The Pelly & Me". I must have borrowed it from the library 30 times...at least (seriously). My eldest son is now two and a half, and it was a great moment for me to read it to him for the first time.

Honorable mentions to; Michael Hardcastle's football books (the inspiration for my first football novel...in the works), the Asterix "graphic novels", The Iron Man by Ted Hughes.

I also remember with fondness the books that helped me learn to read...Roger Red Hat, Billy Blue Hat et al by Sheila K. McCullogh

Edited by Janet, 09 February 2009 - 05:32 PM.
Merged consecutive posts

#52 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,249 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

The ones I remember the best were the Mallory Towers books by Enid Blyton. I loved those books. Also one called Kizzy (can't remember the authors name), about a young gypsy girl, and Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals. I still have the copy I won as second prize in a writing competition when I was about 10!

#53 Booknutt

Booknutt

Settling In

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Reading now?:Vampire quartet by Anne Rice(never thought I'd see the day!)
  • LocationCheshire, U.K.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge.

It's recently been re-issued in a gift format, and also paperback. Also - a film based on the story is soon-to-be-released. It stars Ioan Gruffywdd (I'm sure that's the (in)correct spelling of surname :eek:) in other words Hornblower of the tv series.

The book is wonderful - I read it again only a few weeks ago.

Booknutt

#54 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,774 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

My Family... is a brilliant book - the language is beautiful. I did GCSE English a few years ago (aged 39) and we studied a few passages from it - which was what prompted me to read it for the first time.

Some of my class-mates (and not just the teenagers) found it almost too challenging because of the language but I thought it was amazing. I wanted to do coursework on it, but the rest of the class chose Of Mice and Men because it's short!

I believe Kizzy was in The Diddakoi by Rumer Godden. :eek:

#55 Mia

Mia

Lost in L-Space!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,207 posts
  • Reading now?:Under the Dome - Stephen King
  • LocationTreacle Mine Road

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

Honorable mentions to ... the Asterix "graphic novels",

I loved the Asterix books! Me and my best friend in primary school used to grab the latest one and read it together. We must have been so noisy, laughing like mad, but we never got told off. Maybe the teacher liked to see people enjoying reading so much!

In fact, I bought a set of 10 Asterix books a year or so ago for the bargain price of 9.99. I haven't even opened them yet, but I know they're there and I'll get round to them some time. :eek:

#56 chrysalis_stage

chrysalis_stage

Nature Lover

• Advanced Member
  • 1,338 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

Oh i think thats the name of the book ive been trying to remember for ages, ill go check now :friends0:

I'm so tempted to buy the Jacqueline Wilson books that i read as a child and loved dearly but do not own such as: cliffhanger, suitcase kid, the bed and breakfast star, double act, the story of tracey beaker :eek: i miss looking at the illustrations too.

#57 Stephanie2008

Stephanie2008

Live, Laugh, Love

• Advanced Member
  • 5,003 posts
  • Reading now?:Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.
  • LocationNewcastle, Eng.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

I loved this book too. And I'm sure we used to sing a song about Gobbolino when I was in the Infant School Choir :eek:

#58 Talisman

Talisman

Ugly bag of mostly water

• Advanced Member
  • 3,249 posts
  • Reading now?:Before Night Falls: Reinaldo Arenas
  • Locationleafy Surrey

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

I believe Kizzy was in The Diddakoi by Rumer Godden. :eek:

I believe you are right Janet, that definately rings a bell.

#59 Rawr

Rawr

\__o_O__/

• Advanced Member
  • 3,556 posts
  • Reading now?:Through The Looking Glass, And What Alice Found There / The City And The City
  • Locationx Castle Discordia

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:07 AM

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge.

I'm sure i read that sometime long ago xD

#60 Lucybird

Lucybird

Wind-Up Bird

• Advanced Member
  • 3,451 posts
  • LocationBirmingham UK

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

I also remember with fondness the books that helped me learn to read...Roger Red Hat, Billy Blue Hat et al by Sheila K. McCullogh

I learnt to read with those too, and remember them fondly. I always liked Johnny and Jenifer Yellow Hat.

They still used them at my school when I'd left but it wasn't long after that they stopped

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users