252 replies to this topic

#241 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,204 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

Got to say mine was The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe. I loved Narnia and would always be checking the back of my wardrobe just to make sure!! I read this to my daughter when she was five and she loved it so much it was magical to enjoy it all over again and experience that thrill of wonder! Although re-reading 6 times straight was a little much lol

I've never actually read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  I remember watching an animated film of it on television when I was probably about 8 or 9, and was so upset when a certain unfortunate event happened, I ran out to the kitchen crying.  I must have felt traumatised by it as I refused to read the book later on! :D

#242 Tiger

Tiger

Totally Wild

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Reading now?:Lots and lots of books!
  • LocationDover/Plymouth, UK

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

As a younger child...

The Tiger Who Came To Tea 

The Mousehole Cat 

The Very Hungry Caterpillar 

As an older child/pre-teens...

Jacqueline Wilson books 

Harry Potter (and it's still one of my favourite series)

The Ingo series (Helen Dunmore)

Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series (Michelle Paver)

The Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series- absolutely hilarious, and they genuinely helped me get through a really tough time. (Louise Rennison)

I still have all of these books- might give the Georgia Nicolson series a read soon, they used to have me crying with laughter! I also found a sorry-looking copy of Jurassic Park in my room not long ago which I read for the first time when I was twelve. I'll read it again soon...

Edited by Tiger, 03 June 2015 - 09:34 PM.

#243 hazel.grace667

hazel.grace667

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:14 AM

Tom Sawyer is my childhood sansation.

#244 Garcia24

Garcia24

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes Man
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:20 PM

i was ill for most of my childhood and spent weeks on end indoors. My mums friend gave me her daughters Sue Barton Nursing series by Helen Doyle Boylston. I read them over and over until the pages were dropping out. It would be nice to say i was inspired to become a nurse but even as a child knew it wasn't for me (needle phobia!)

Did anyone else read these books? They were dated way back then but i loved them.

#245 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,204 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:12 PM

Yes, I remember those! Just been upstairs to check and I've still got one of them now ... Sue Barton - Rural Nurse :D. Why that one, I've no idea :lol:

#246 Garcia24

Garcia24

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes Man
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:38 PM

Yes, I remember those! Just been upstairs to check and I've still got one of them now ... Sue Barton - Rural Nurse :D. Why that one, I've no idea

That's right chesilbeach, I can remember Student, Rural,,Senior, Staff and Visiting. Wow, didn't expect such a quick reply as they were first published in the 1930's!

:smile:

#247 J. A. Haag

J. A. Haag

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Reading now?:Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:20 PM

I was obsessed with Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. There was a used bookstore near a campground we used to go to when I was younger so I would always go in there and buy the old paperback editions. My first ship was Nancy Drew and Frank Hardy. When I discovered that there were books with them together... the first moment of true happiness in my life.

The book that spurred me on to read constantly had to be Fairest by Cail Carson Levine. I am embarrassed to say that I have never read Ella Enchanted, I've only watched the movie a bajillion times and loved it, but it has always made me feel guilty to say that I haven't read the book.

Edited by J. A. Haag, 21 June 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#248 Sakura

Sakura

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Reading now?:Seelenläufer
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:36 AM

I read a lot of Enyd Blyton when I was young, St. Clare's and Malory Tower and the like, though I believe the German versions where heavily edited to change the placement in time as add quite a few more books to the series'. Malory Tower had about 20 books in German up to Darrells marriage, and St. Clare had 25 or so.

I also liked the three investigators, which was also expended a lot for the German marked, as well as TKKG.

I might try to read the originals at some point, but I'm afraid to kill my nostalgia.

And I read a lot of Agatha Christie, Edgar Wallace and Sherlock Holmes stuff, though that hardly counts as children's books.

#249 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,862 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:50 AM

There was a book I really liked as a kid, I think it might have been about runaways, and there was a character named Spider. I remember imagining him looking like Spider in Coronation Street at the time hehe. No idea what it was called though.

#250 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Reading now?:A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor & End of the Roadie by Elizabeth Flynn
  • LocationSE England

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

I read loads of Enid Blyton - Famous Five were the favourite, and I liked St Clare's as well - and then graduated onto Nancy Drew, although in the end there were so many of them I couldn't keep up - I found out recently that "Carolyn Keene" is actually several different authors writing under that name, no wonder there were so many books in the series!  I also liked the Paddington books, and have a vague recollection of reading the original Mary Poppins novel, I might even still have it somewhere.

#251 sky29

sky29

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:07 PM

My favorite: Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn followed by the film, or film came first for me and book second, can't remember.

#252 bookmonkey

bookmonkey

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:51 AM

i was ill for most of my childhood and spent weeks on end indoors. My mums friend gave me her daughters Sue Barton Nursing series by Helen Doyle Boylston. I read them over and over until the pages were dropping out. It would be nice to say i was inspired to become a nurse but even as a child knew it wasn't for me (needle phobia!)

Did anyone else read these books? They were dated way back then but i loved them.

I loved those. I read them over and over.

I also liked Judy Blume and Paula Danziger.  They were definitely my favourites when I was younger.

#253 davidh219

davidh219

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:45 AM

• The Chronicles of Narnia
  • Where the Red Fern Grows
  • Sherlock Holmes
  • R.A. Montgomery's Choose Your Own Adventure books
  • The Time Machine