Favourite books from childhood?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you're thinking of the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books, Mexicola? They were all like that and I loved reading them! It would ask you at the end of the chapter something like 'if you want to see what happens behind the yellow door, go to page 56.' Good times! :D

I've only just seen this. I don't think it was those ones I was thinking of, they do sound good though! In fact I think more books should adopt that style :)

• 4 weeks later...

And some Enid Blyton book about a flying chair or something. I really want to find the name of that book someday.

:blush:

The 'Wishing Chair' books (there are more than one - maybe two - but this is the first!) were about a flying chair. :lol:

I loved The Magic Faraway Tree, The Famous Five, The Secret Seven...I can't remember what book it was in but I will never forget the time the golliwog went into the shop to buy some cigarettes!:console:

Blyton's 'The Second Holiday book' featured a golly who collected cigarette butts!

My OH has been reminiscing about some of his favourite books, and we managed to find some on our local library website in the reserve archive, so I currently have the following books from the 60s and 70s to read:

Roddy and the Miniature Railway by Phyllis Arkle

Agaton Sax and the Diamond Thieves by Nils-Olof Franzen (illustrated by Quentin Blake)

Henry on Safari by Dora Thatcher

My OH has been reminiscing about some of his favourite books, and we managed to find some on our local library website in the reserve archive, so I currently have the following books from the 60s and 70s to read:

Roddy and the Miniature Railway by Phyllis Arkle

Agaton Sax and the Diamond Thieves by Nils-Olof Franzen (illustrated by Quentin Blake)

Henry on Safari by Dora Thatcher

Loved the Agaton Sax book, really enjoyed Kenneth Williams reading them on Jackanory

When I was a kid, my parents used to read Enid Blyton to me :D.

I also loved the Babysitter's Club series and Nancy Drew. I credit Nancy Drew for my love of Agatha Christie now :).

And I still adore Roald Dahl, I read his stories now to my young cousins.

I loved, loved, loved, Elizabeth Enright. Her books are absolutely wonderful, and timeless.

Well, there are the Nancy Drew books, too! And another all-time favorite are the Betsy-Tacy-Tib books by Maud Hart Lovelace.

Edited by Janet
Merged consecutive posts

• 1 month later...

I remember clearly when I first got seriously stuck into books that my choice of reading then was Enid Blyton with The Secret Seven,The Famous Five,The Malory Towers series,The Magic Faraway Tree & The Wishing Chair series.

What was your's?

I remember clearly when I first got seriously stuck into books that my choice of reading then was Enid Blyton with The Secret Seven,The Famous Five,The Malory Towers series,The Magic Faraway Tree & The Wishing Chair series.

What was your's?

Those were my first childhood series books.

Yes, lots of Enid's .. especially 'Malory Towers', 'St Clares' and the 'Mystery' series .. also CS Lewis's 'The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe' .. which was probably the first book that I really loved.

Oh yes, all the Enid Blytons. And Narnia. And lots of horse stories; especially those by the three Pullein-Thomson sisters, Marguerite Henry, and the My Friend Flicka/Thunderhead/Green Grass of Wyoming series. Happy days. :smile2:

I was actually thinking about my childhood book whilst reading StoryBox and seeing all the bunnies hopping about.

I loved the Beatrix Potter stories because of the beautiful illustrations and the fantastical short stories; I especially loved Peter Rabbit and Miss Tiggywinkle! :lol: .

I also remember loving Ted Hughes The Iron Man, it was probably the scariest story I read when I was a child and I can't remember why!

Edited by arewenearlythere

• 2 weeks later...