Favourite books from childhood?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the Mallory Towers books and the Famous Five too. Also does anyone remember Flambards? I can't remember the name of the author (well it was a long time ago :) ) but I was really into horses at the time and adored these books! :)

Also does anyone remember Flambards? I can't remember the name of the author (well it was a long time ago :) ) but I was really into horses at the time and adored these books! :)

K M Peyton. :)

I read the first one a long, long time ago.

There was a TV adaptation in the 70s - I had a crush on one of the brothers! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flambards-Complete-Repackaged-DVD/dp/B001JMGS6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1237190105&sr=8-1

I quite fancy re-reading now you've mentioned it - I'd totally forgotten about them! :D

My favourites when I was *really* little (talking pre-10 years old here) were:

- "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" by Jules Verne.

- "The Black Corsair" and "Sandokan" series by Emilio Salgari - amazing, rollicking, swashbuckling tales of adventure, love, friendship. It enthralled me to think that a man who had never left his own town could transport himself and his readers to the new world and the mystic East and make it all feel so vivid and urgent and real.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was a kid, I didn't really read much. The first book I read wasn't even a kid's book, it was a Young Adult's book, I was 8-9, it was All-American Girl by Meg Cabot. Well.. dunno if it counts as "childhood" book but, The Series of Unfortunate Events are probably my favourite..Either that or the Winnie The Pooh series, we had this whole box set of them, but I have no idea where they are now.

I used to love the series by Susan Cooper called The Dark Is Rising. They made a film out of the second novel, but I couldn't make myself see it for fear of it spoiling my memories of it (also, they changed the age of Will from 11 to him being in his teens and made him American instead of English - bizarre, as far as I can tell, because the book is set in and based upon myth and legend of English folk-lore).

I began my reading life with The Hobbit when I was about 7 or 8 years old - I was quite precocious in this respect - and adored it, going on to read The Lord Of The Rings when I reached about 10. I could never, and still can't, get through The SilmarillionI, however. It's one of those books where I think 'Life is too short, matey!' and sling it over my shoulder.

Don't be silly, Mac! When have you ever done anything but treat your books with reverential (if not obsessive) care? You just placed it lovingly back on the shelf, didn't you?

Aaaaand we're talking in the third person again....in through the nose, out through the mouth....

:irked:

It's always handy to have a book like that for those pesky nights of insomnia. I can always remember reading in a James Heriot book how he used to keep 'The Brothers Karamazov' by Dostoyevsky (I had to look that up) and Seigfried 'The Anatomy of the Eye', by their beds for just such occasions :irked:

I took the plunge with The Silmarillion recently and managed to finish it.

I can now give you a complete history of Middle Earth, with accurately recalled names, dates and events!

(NB - one of the above statements may not be true.)

I took the plunge with The Silmarillion recently and managed to finish it.

I can now give you a complete history of Middle Earth, with accurately recalled names, dates and events!

(NB - one of the above statements may not be true.)

I believe it must be the first statement that is inaccurate...:irked:

Oh, i got through the first page. I got through the whole book. Never again.

You really deserve a trophy for that, or a special ring... no, wait.

Anyway, i am in the 'i couldn't get through the first page' group also :irked:

I mean, i read LOTR at like 15 and that was difficult enough at times, but this book really takes the biscuit. I've owned it for around four years and never dug it back out again yet!

I never managed to finish even Lord of the Rings, I got as far as the forming of the fellowship and gave up, I may try again some day. I loved the Hobbit though, fist time my Mum read it to me and my sister, I must have been pretty young

My mom started taking me to the library when I was very young, and I'm so grateful! Whenever I remember that I tell her thank you, lol. When I was very little I loved all the Dr. Seuss books - I think I was given an official set at one time and just kept adding to it. When I got into school I was really into Nancy Drew, Ramona Quimby, Anne of Green Gables and the Little House on the Prairie books. I think the Little House books were my faves.

OHh yes the Dr Seuss books, i loved them. And I just remembered right now, I used to LOVE the Secret Garden by....I forgot. I read it like, 5 times when I was about 7-8 years old. And we also had stuff like The Saddle Club or like, Babysitters Club or osmething like that. and this other series called Twin Sisters. They were so awesome back then

I never read "Anne of Green Gables," but used to loooovee the tv series called "Avonlea" that was sort of a spin-off from the "A of GG" books. Did anyone else watch "Avonlea" or read "A of GG?" My love for the show makes me wonder if I'd enjoy the A of GG books..