Favourite books from childhood?

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge.

It's recently been re-issued in a gift format, and also paperback. Also - a film based on the story is soon-to-be-released. It stars Ioan Gruffywdd (I'm sure that's the (in)correct spelling of surname :eek:) in other words Hornblower of the tv series.

The book is wonderful - I read it again only a few weeks ago.

Booknutt

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Family... is a brilliant book - the language is beautiful. I did GCSE English a few years ago (aged 39) and we studied a few passages from it - which was what prompted me to read it for the first time.

Some of my class-mates (and not just the teenagers) found it almost too challenging because of the language but I thought it was amazing. I wanted to do coursework on it, but the rest of the class chose Of Mice and Men because it's short!

I believe Kizzy was in The Diddakoi by Rumer Godden. :eek:

Honorable mentions to ... the Asterix "graphic novels",

I loved the Asterix books! Me and my best friend in primary school used to grab the latest one and read it together. We must have been so noisy, laughing like mad, but we never got told off. Maybe the teacher liked to see people enjoying reading so much!

In fact, I bought a set of 10 Asterix books a year or so ago for the bargain price of

Gobbolino The Witches Cat by Ursula Moray Williams. I adored this book.

Oh i think thats the name of the book ive been trying to remember for ages, ill go check now :friends0:

I'm so tempted to buy the Jacqueline Wilson books that i read as a child and loved dearly but do not own such as: cliffhanger, suitcase kid, the bed and breakfast star, double act, the story of tracey beaker :eek: i miss looking at the illustrations too.

I also remember with fondness the books that helped me learn to read...Roger Red Hat, Billy Blue Hat et al by Sheila K. McCullogh

I learnt to read with those too, and remember them fondly. I always liked Johnny and Jenifer Yellow Hat.

They still used them at my school when I'd left but it wasn't long after that they stopped

"Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell is another I loved.

,I've just ordered a DVD of the story too. It's never aged, either - for it's message for humans to treat horses better is just as relevant today as ever. Have a look at how many horse and pony rescues are around even in 2009, and you'll get the idea.

• 3 weeks later...

The first ever book I read was called 'The Fox and the Hen' or something. A ladybird classic? I was so proud because I read it all by myself, I think I was 4 years old. It was the ladybird book I had with the biggest letters, and probably the shortest story, haha. And then there was The Enormous Turnip, that was funny.

I also liked The Magic Faraway Tree, that was my boyfriend's favourite. He wants an orignial copy for his book shelf now, but its got to be original he said, before they got all politically correct and changed all the names.

The first ever book I read was called 'The Fox and the Hen' or something. A ladybird classic? I was so proud because I read it all by myself, I think I was 4 years old. It was the ladybird book I had with the biggest letters, and probably the shortest story, haha. And then there was The Enormous Turnip, that was funny.

:shrug: I remember those stories too. In a small thin, tall book? I think I still have mine somewhere, contains lots little stories. ;)

Aww, yeh, I think I might still have mine somewhere up in the loft. I really hope so anyway, and I will read it to my kids (when I have them), is that sad? Hehe

:shrug: Not at all, tis why I keep all my old books and toys, some family member will get use out of them someday either my kids or brothers.

;) Great site. I can't seem to find my book online though, I had a collection of penguin stories in one small book from what I remember.

Great stories, brings back memories!

Just noticed Ladybird did a series about a hamster called 'Hannibal' Hannibal goes to school, hannibal and the petshop lol. I can't read the word Hannibal without thinking horrific things lol

Edited by chrysalis_stage

I started off by reading lots and lots of Roald Dahl, and another one here whos fave was the Witches. i remember being read it in class in primary school too and loved it.i really liked Esio Trot too:D i also borrowed a copy of Colin Dann's Just Nuffin from the library and loved it so much. it took me ages to find a copy of it and i still havent re read it lol

I then ended up on goosebumps which as i got older turned into point horror books and i couldnt get enough of them. R.L Stine was my fave, probably because of the goosebumps books.

I loved these Disney books about the 'Disney girls'. They each had a characteristic from a Disney character. I loved them when I was 9/10, I thought they were so magical! :shrug:

I was also a huge fan of the Babysitter's Club, I was addicted to those!

I was a late bloomer Harry Potter wise. I didn't read them until I was about 12 and of course, loved those too!

I was the same Katie, I think I read the first HP when I was about 13, perhaps even 14. I read a lot of Enid Blyton when I was young, started with the Famous Five and Secret Seven, and then read her books for older girls, like Malory Towers I think it was called

I was really put off the HP's and was really reluctant to try them. Obviously, I'm glad I did now! :)

Oh, I loved Malory Towers as well! They were set in a school or something weren't they? I think they were the ones that made me want to go to boarding school. :)

Yeah I was too, I don't usually read hyped up books unless someone specifically recommends that I should, and my best friend kept insisting that I try them and I resisted for a while, but like you I was glad I tried in the end.

And yeah they were the boarding school ones, and I wanted to go too :)