Favourite books from childhood?

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi....newbie here!

My most favourite book from my childhood was Danny the Champion of the World by the great Roald Dahl.

And I also loved the Baker Street Irregulars by Terrance Dicks.

I can remember vaguely a book i really enjoyed when I was a kid but can't remember the title or author and have tried searching for it online but have had no joy(it's pretty difficult without the author or even the title!)All I can really remember is that it was set in newcastle or roundabouts and Jammer or Jammy was one of the characters in the story.

I would like to read Lemony Snickets as I'm still a big kid at heart

BTW I must be the only person in the world to absolutely hate Harry Potter....I don't know why so many kids like it and think it is way over-rated!

39 minutes ago, Lau_Lou said:

I have never ever read Harry Potter. It never interested me at the time.

The information you gave about the book you can't name. Google came up with Skellig. Could that be it? 

Hi,thanks very much for trying but unfortunately it's not it.

I think the title was something like ______,______,Jammer and me  

(the two ____'s are boys names I think.

I actually tried to read the very first HP after seeing the movie and my brother,sister and a few other relatives that like a good book were raving about how good a writer she was but I put it down half way and couldn't fathom what was so great about it or jks writing.

Anyway thanks again...much appreciated.

13 hours ago, Allycuk said:

Hi,thanks very much for trying but unfortunately it's not it.

I think the title was something like ______,______,Jammer and me  

(the two ____'s are boys names I think.

Is it Harold and Bella, Jammy and Me by Robert Leeson?

25 minutes ago, Onion Budgie said:

Is it Harold and Bella, Jammy and Me by Robert Leeson?

Oh my god!

You are an absolute Star Madame,a gem,a Diamond!

Thank you so much...I am delighted.

That is the very book....how did you find it with such poor info I gave?

I have been racking my brain for around ten years trying to remember the title.

....I don't know why I thought it was set in Newcastle.

cheers!

I am often told by mom that she used to read to me from the moment I was born up until the age of 5 when I could read for myself. She used to buy me all sorts of Disney based books like The Jungle Book or The Lady and the Tramp as well as comics with Disney characters. There was no craze with super-hero comics back then or YA and I grew up before Harry Potter was a thing. I follow a few booktubers and they all mention having started with YA which makes sense given the age I guess. But the first books I got involved with were the ones written by Jules Verne and Alexandre Dumas. So much adventure and imagination was extraordinary for a little kid. and , even after so many years they still bring be joy. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Raven said:

Actually you can, but the bindings are generally old now so they fall apart quickly.

I was giving my opinion that I find from my childhood that Enid Blyton's works were the best for me and still are. I've got all of her works. I view her books much more highly than say The Chronicles of Narnia, etc. 

2 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Famous 5 were my favourites of Blyton's books, I know schools don't like her work to this day, but she got lots of kids into reading.

I loved those, but I think her Adventure books were my favourite. They went to exotic places ( er, like Cinecitta, Italy ) and had a pet monkey. :)

16 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Famous 5 were my favourites of Blyton's books, I know schools don't like her work to this day, but she got lots of kids into reading.

The politically correct mob who claim her works are racist, sexist, etc, need to put things into perspective and realise when she wrote her books.

Thankfully, the attempts at changing words in her books etc have failed big time by feedback and some publishers have went back to publishing the originals. 

Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl (and others, of course) in the UK contributed so much to getting younger children into reading from a very young age.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, Enid Blyton for me! I love all her books and have about 300 or more in my collection. www.enidblyton.co.uk is the official Blyton Society website, and is an amazing site to explore. I also loved Malcolm Saville's books - especially The Lone Pine Club. Jennings and William were also amongst my favourite books.

My favourite book was The Hobbit followed by Watership Down, which had similar plots. I read all Enid Blyton's Famous Five books. I never bothered with her Secret Seven. I liked the Willard Price Adventure series. They were about two lads who helped their father catch wild animals for a zoo. I liked the Dragonfall 5 books too when I was younger. They were about a family who flew an obsolete cargo spaceship.

I always preferred the Famous 5 to the Secret 7 as well.  Only read The Hobbit as an adult.

I also liked the Paddington Bear books, and the Alfred Hitchcock/Nancy Drew books as well.