Favourite books from childhood?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well mine has to be The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S Lewis! I remeber being all snug up in bed while my mother read it to me. My favourite part has to be when Edmund first meets the White Witch and I always wished I had turkish delight!

One book that sticks out in my childhood which I read to myself but I have heard of parents reading it too their kids and their kids enjoying it themselves afterwards for many years is A Necklace Of Raindrops - Joan Aiken with illustrations by Polish artist Jan Pienkowski. They re-released the same book but with different illustrations a few years ago which imo ruined the magical feel of the book so they have re-released it recently with the old illustrations again. I had an old copy of A Necklace of Raindrops but I lent it to my best friend when younger and she never gave it back so ever since I have been trying to get a decent enough copy which isn't ex-library and thankfully I found a good one on ebay the other day and won it so I'm very happy right now. :D I'm also tempted to get the new copy with the old illustations though, i'll see how greedy I feel.

Synopsis from amazon:

Here are eight classic stories to treasure and enjoy. Beginning and ending with a birthday, this spell-binding collection conjures up a world filled with magic, where wishes can come true. A necklace of raindrops that keeps its owner dry in the heaviest rainstorm; a tiger that runs faster than the wind; a huge floating apple pie with a piece of sky in it; a baker's cat who swells to the size of a whale when his mistress feeds him yeast; and, a house that stands on one leg - these are just some of the objects and characters that figure in these delightful stories.

It fed my imagination as a child and has stayed with me. I can't wait for my copy to arrive in the post to re-live it again :D

Loved a book called "Child 312" by Hans Ulrich Horster AKA Eduard Rhein. About a child and mother accidentally getting separated in WW2 Germany and her struggle to find her daughter again.

Also loved the "Five"-series by Enid Blython.

Disney books of course.

Astrid Lindgren books, especially The Bullerby children, Seacrow Island, Emil of L

I remember reading all of Roald Dahl and The Little House on the Prairie series when I was very young. I then moved on to Judy Blume who did some great books about growing up. I also remember a series about twins in high school, I think it was called Sweet Valley High.

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown

Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney

The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Giant hardcover edition by Eric Carle

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.

• 4 years later...
I know it's a bit of an old thread, but some of my favourite books from my early reading years were Ladybird books, and it's interesting to look back at them and how they portrayed society at the time … this was prompted by reading this article on the BBC News website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-30709937 

• 2 months later...

Got to say mine was The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe. I loved Narnia and would always be checking the back of my wardrobe just to make sure!! I read this to my daughter when she was five and she loved it so much it was magical to enjoy it all over again and experience that thrill of wonder! Although re-reading 6 times straight was a little much lol 

Got to say mine was The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe. I loved Narnia and would always be checking the back of my wardrobe just to make sure!! I read this to my daughter when she was five and she loved it so much it was magical to enjoy it all over again and experience that thrill of wonder! Although re-reading 6 times straight was a little much lol

I've never actually read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  I remember watching an animated film of it on television when I was probably about 8 or 9, and was so upset when a certain unfortunate event happened, I ran out to the kitchen crying.  I must have felt traumatised by it as I refused to read the book later on! :D

As a younger child...

The Tiger Who Came To Tea 

The Mousehole Cat 

The Very Hungry Caterpillar 

As an older child/pre-teens...

Jacqueline Wilson books 

Harry Potter (and it's still one of my favourite series)

The Ingo series (Helen Dunmore)

Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series (Michelle Paver)

The Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series- absolutely hilarious, and they genuinely helped me get through a really tough time. (Louise Rennison)

I still have all of these books- might give the Georgia Nicolson series a read soon, they used to have me crying with laughter! I also found a sorry-looking copy of Jurassic Park in my room not long ago which I read for the first time when I was twelve. I'll read it again soon...

Edited by Tiger

• 1 month later...

i was ill for most of my childhood and spent weeks on end indoors. My mums friend gave me her daughters Sue Barton Nursing series by Helen Doyle Boylston. I read them over and over until the pages were dropping out. It would be nice to say i was inspired to become a nurse but even as a child knew it wasn't for me (needle phobia!)

Did anyone else read these books? They were dated way back then but i loved them.

Yes, I remember those! Just been upstairs to check and I've still got one of them now ... Sue Barton - Rural Nurse :D. Why that one, I've no idea

That's right chesilbeach, I can remember Student, Rural,,Senior, Staff and Visiting. Wow, didn't expect such a quick reply as they were first published in the 1930's!

:smile:

• 11 months later...

I was obsessed with Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. There was a used bookstore near a campground we used to go to when I was younger so I would always go in there and buy the old paperback editions. My first ship was Nancy Drew and Frank Hardy. When I discovered that there were books with them together... the first moment of true happiness in my life.

The book that spurred me on to read constantly had to be Fairest by Cail Carson Levine. I am embarrassed to say that I have never read Ella Enchanted, I've only watched the movie a bajillion times and loved it, but it has always made me feel guilty to say that I haven't read the book.

Edited by J. A. Haag

I read a lot of Enyd Blyton when I was young, St. Clare's and Malory Tower and the like, though I believe the German versions where heavily edited to change the placement in time as add quite a few more books to the series'. Malory Tower had about 20 books in German up to Darrells marriage, and St. Clare had 25 or so.

I also liked the three investigators, which was also expended a lot for the German marked, as well as TKKG.

I might try to read the originals at some point, but I'm afraid to kill my nostalgia.

And I read a lot of Agatha Christie, Edgar Wallace and Sherlock Holmes stuff, though that hardly counts as children's books.

There was a book I really liked as a kid, I think it might have been about runaways, and there was a character named Spider. I remember imagining him looking like Spider in Coronation Street at the time hehe. No idea what it was called though.

I read loads of Enid Blyton - Famous Five were the favourite, and I liked St Clare's as well - and then graduated onto Nancy Drew, although in the end there were so many of them I couldn't keep up - I found out recently that "Carolyn Keene" is actually several different authors writing under that name, no wonder there were so many books in the series!  I also liked the Paddington books, and have a vague recollection of reading the original Mary Poppins novel, I might even still have it somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

i was ill for most of my childhood and spent weeks on end indoors. My mums friend gave me her daughters Sue Barton Nursing series by Helen Doyle Boylston. I read them over and over until the pages were dropping out. It would be nice to say i was inspired to become a nurse but even as a child knew it wasn't for me (needle phobia!)

Did anyone else read these books? They were dated way back then but i loved them.

I loved those. I read them over and over.

I also liked Judy Blume and Paula Danziger.  They were definitely my favourites when I was younger.