Favourite books from childhood?

hy everyone, im brand new :smile2: im pretty stunned that i didnt find out about this site sooner as im a book addict but i thought id say hi ('hi') and get to know a few people on here. and what better way than being nosy?

id have to say mine was enid blyton's mallory towers series... i cant tell you how jealous i was of those girls and their midnight feasts, ginger beer and parentless train journeys!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the Baby-sitters Club books by Ann M. Martin when I was young. They were by far my favorite books. I started collecting them from their earliest days in the late 1980's. I had a huge collection of about 55 books, which I ended up giving to my boyfriend's little sister about 5 years ago. I don't know what happened to them after that, but she doesn't have them anymore....she likes Anne Rice and Edgar Allan Poe now.:smile2:

I could have sworn there was a thread like that here!

"The Secret Garden"

"Harriet The Spy"

I read Ngaio Marsh when I was about eleven and loved her.

I read Terry Brooks "Sword Of Shannara" when I was about twelve and loved it.

I read and reread "Dune" by Frank Herbert when I was thirteen.

My favourites were Enid Blyton's Famous Five and Secret Seven series. I loved them, but for some reason I never picked up any of her other books. I also loved Nancy Drew books. Other favourites were all the Judy Blume books (essential reading for young girls :smile2:), and Roald Dahl too.

When I got a bit older, I manically read SE Hinton's books, after discovering The Outsiders.

welcome aboard babypink!! this is a really great place with lots of friendly people-i can't remember what series of books i read as a child- i just read books-now that i'm older im reading series-i'm almost finished harry potter, i read all the shopaholic books and will start lemony snickets sometime in the future- carm

id have to say mine was enid blyton's mallory towers series...

Oh Mallory Towers - they were wonderful. A friend of mine loved them so much that she asked her parents to send her to boarding school.

I read Ngaio Marsh when I was about eleven and loved her.

Ooh, Ngaio Marsh, yes, I started on her round about that age, and Agatha Christie - they're such easy adult reads and it makes you feel very grown-up to be reading that sort of book as a child. But I also loved Enid Blyton too, 'specially the 'Five Find-outers and dog' series - I really liked Fatty.

I read all the Mallory Towers books. a few St. Clare's and a handful of Famous Fives too. I also read a stack of Judy Blumes in my youth. I still love The Wind ni the Willows and Winnie the Pooh and recently re-read one of my all-time favourites, Ronia, The Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren - it's till as gorgeous as it ever was.

Other than those, I didn't really read many kids' books that I remember - not once I got to be about 11 or 12 - I always read well above my own age and so I was reading things like Dracula and Frankenstein (although I later realised they were abridged editions). I was also an early fan of Shakespeare, believe it or not!

I loved the Baby-sitters Club books by Ann M. Martin when I was young. They were by far my favorite books. I started collecting them from their earliest days in the late 1980's. I had a huge collection of about 55 books, which I ended up giving to my boyfriend's little sister about 5 years ago. I don't know what happened to them after that, but she doesn't have them anymore....she likes Anne Rice and Edgar Allan Poe now.:)

Me too Echo! I still have all of mine. I've thought about getting rid of them at various times but I can't bring myself to do it. I think I have over 130 of them. I stopped buying them because I outgrew them but I think they stopped not long after anyway. Now I wish I'd kept collecting so I could see how it ended.

Edgar Allan Poe is just a small step up from BSC isn't it? :smile2:

Apart from Enid Blyton's books, I almost exclusively read pony stories, as I was obsessed with horses! I enjoyed the "Jill" series by Ruby Ferguson and some of the Pullein-Thompson books, but my absolute favourites were the "Jinny at Finmory" books by Patricia Leitch. They were stories about a rather rebellious girl and her Arab mare, Shantih. I loved these books, as they were so different to most pony stories and the heroine wasn't the usual goody two shoes. In fact, I recently spent a small fortune buying them all off Ebay because I wanted to re-read them, and my copies are packed away somewhere inaccessible.

hy everyone, im brand new :D im pretty stunned that i didnt find out about this site sooner as im a book addict but i thought id say hi ('hi') and get to know a few people on here. and what better way than being nosy?

id have to say mine was enid blyton's mallory towers series... i cant tell you how jealous i was of those girls and their midnight feasts, ginger beer and parentless train journeys!

I enjoyed Mallory Towers but have to admit to a preference for St Clare's :welcomeboard: And of course The Famous Five books.

My all time favourites were The Secret Garden and Ballet Shoes (so excited about the new TV version they are filming).

I have all of my books from my childhood in the garage and can't wait to share them with my two children :tong:

I used to read dr seuss stories like cat in the hat and the grinch and green eggs and ham I used to read them as a child. Because I was growing up in the 70's

Last year the am dram group I perform with did Seussical, a musical based on the Dr Seuss books and it was fantastic! We did a publicity event with our local Ottakars and they had a Dr Seuss theme going on in the children's section.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
There's probably a couple [threads about book memories]. :D I found one here.

That's funny how we turned out to have a few. Great minds think alike, I suppose! *titters shrilly at own joke*

I actually like having one thread specifically for favorite childhood books, and one specifically for memories about receiving or reading books.

I'm sorry this is so long - it's so hard to pin down one favorite, I kind of listed almost all the ones I liked.

The Babysitter's Club series by Ann N. Martin - my favorite character was Abby because she was humorous and it was funny how Ann Martin would write her dialogue in "stuffy nose" speak (like J.K. Rowling did when Neville had a bloody nose in Harry Potter and, uh, the Half Blood Prince I believe). My favorite book was the big one where all the babysitters took a trip together around the USA.

I also read the Babysitter's Little Sister series; I had big pink glasses just like Karen, the seven-year-old main character, when I was in third grade!

karenandmecr5.jpg

The Miss Pickerell series by Ellen MacGregor - this elderly lady kicked butt from what I remember! She was the stuff of book reports for me. I was so proud to read my first chapter book in first grade. My sub-favorites were Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars and Miss Pickerell and the Geiger Counter.

Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene - I liked these since the second grade. The old yellow books like #2, The Hidden Staircase, and #5, The Secret of Shadow Ranch, were my preference, though I did enjoy some in the 100s and kid-Nancy series.

Sailor Moon manga by Naoko Takeuchi (I think); three of my cousins and I liked the cartoon when I was ten and they were nine, ten, and twelve. We drew the characters and played with the cards and figurines. They became a bit weird in the later spinoffs, but I still remember all the names of characters from the earlier ones.

Little Critter series - my mom worked the night shift and would come home with every new little book for my brother and me.

Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey - at first I suggested my mom buy them for my brother and nephew, but after a peek I thought they were funny, too! Hee! Dav Pilkey illustrated a book still dearly on my bookshelf, the Dumb Bunnies. Hilarious.

Others: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, some short Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Boxcar Children series (still popular at my old school among the first and second graders), the Little Golden Books (Pokey Little Puppy comforted shy li'l me on a "scary" doctor's checkup), Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, What Katy Did, Heidi, Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery (I just read that again because Anne is so stinkin' fun and endearing; I am almost afraid to watch the movie and be disappointed by not having my imagination matched!); and Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (my first "big" book, I think; I loved it so much I loved my sister even more for giving the beautiful copy to me!).

• 2 weeks later...
The Babysitter's Club series by Ann N. Martin - my favorite character was Abby because she was humorous and it was funny how Ann Martin would write her dialogue in "stuffy nose" speak (like J.K. Rowling did when Neville had a bloody nose in Harry Potter and, uh, the Half Blood Prince I believe). My favorite book was the big one where all the babysitters took a trip together around the USA.

I also read the Babysitter's Little Sister series; I had big pink glasses just like Karen, the seven-year-old main character, when I was in third grade!

I was a big fan of the BSC books too CoG! I still have all of mine but I stopped collecting shortly after Abby entered the series. I recently bought the final book from a book fair, along with (I think) the one where they go around the USA. I haven't read them yet though. And wow, you did look like Karen!

I used to have a couple of picture books by Graeme Base called Animalia and The Eleventh Hour. They are beautifully illustrated children's book. Animalia is an A-Z and The Eleventh Hour is a story about an elephant inviting 10 friends to his 11th birthday on 11 November at 11am - then his great feast goes missing and the reader has to try to figure out who stole it. There are clues and things to look out for in every picture. Wonderful stuff! I can't believe I ever gave my copies away. Now I'll have to track them down again. :lol:

I was a big fan of the BSC books too CoG! I still have all of mine but I stopped collecting shortly after Abby entered the series. I recently bought the final book from a book fair, along with (I think) the one where they go around the USA. I haven't read them yet though. And wow, you did look like Karen!

I used to have a couple of picture books by Graeme Base called Animalia and The Eleventh Hour. They are beautifully illustrated children's books.

Thanks for the compliment, Kylie.:lol: I bet those BSC books will come in handy when you spend time with a younger girl! --Or when you feel a little nostalgic.;) (Poor male members of the BCF - what are some good guy adventures?)

Ooh, Animalia is such a beautiful, fun book! Even though my brother and I never quite understood how to solve the whole book, we liked looking for all the things that started with the page's letter. Alliteration can either a little annoying or, in this case, very clever.

Animalia reminds me of the I Spy books. My oldest sister, the same sister who bought my little brother Animalia, gave these as Christmas presents to us every year. We have just about every book until the very-very challenging additions. I have bonded with my younger brother, nephew, uncle, sister, and dad finding the items in these captivating find-it books. You would probably have to be around my age to have enjoyed them as a youngster when they first came out, but did anyone's kids have them at school?