Favourite books from childhood?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry to bump this thread up, but I just thought of a book I LOVED when I was little.

Heckedy Peg by Audrey Wood

This book is a great way to teach children to not let strangers in the house. It also shows what a mother will do to protect her children.

The art work in this story is amazing. As I child I was so scared of the witch. There is a picture in the book that would probably still scare me today. When I was younger my mom would read to me and try to scare me. I loved it. I was fascinated by scary stuff.

I haven't seen this book in years. I have no idea why it crossed my mind, but I thought I would share it.

http://www.amazon.com/Heckedy-Peg-Audrey-Wood/dp/0152336788

I've had a thing for the Rohald Dahl books and read all them. And then when I got a little older I read a bunch of Sissi books( I think that was around the age of 10).

I got all my books from the library and since I live in a small town in belgium it's not the biggest catalogue of books we have

I also remember reading all of the Brothers' Grimm fairytales. I still believe these are fairytales for adults as they frightened me as a child. This will sound sad but I read the bible from cover to cover solely because my mum was given a huge leather bound gilt edge, marvelously illustrated bible for a wedding present, she is catholic. I loved the illustrations it was like reading a hollywood epic.

I've had a thing for the Rohald Dahl books and read all them

I loved reading Roald Dahl too and have also read all the books. My favourites were Matilda, The Witches and The Twits.

When I was younger I read Goosebumps, Nancy Drew, Sweet Valley, The Babysitters Club, Point Horror and the Animal Ark series by Lucy Daniels :lol:

When I was younger I read Goosebumps, The Babysitters Club, Point Horror and the Animal Ark series by Lucy Daniels :lol:

Anything by Jacqueline Wilson .

:lol: Pretty much exactly what I used to read.

I also loved this series about 'Disney Princesses'. It was about these girls who had a connection/similarity with a Disney character. I absolutely adored them when I was younger.

If i list off the top of my head it goes something like: Goosebumps, Shivers, Famous Five, Roald Dahl, Meg and Mog!!!, The Hobbit, Harry Potter (much later), His Dark Materials, various other random books, like i remember reading Adrian Mole as i was interested in the whole idea of running away at one point :lol:, this other one i got called Follow the White Horse or something.

Other titles that stuck out for me were:

Del Del - Victor Kelleher

Castle In The Attic/Battle For The Castle - Elizabeth Winthrop

Fleabag and the Ring Fire - Beth Webb (never read the two sequels)

Sasha and the Wolf Cub - Ann Jungman

The Butterfly Lion - Michael Morpurgo

Out Of Nowhere/The Guns Of Easter/A Winter Of Spies - Gerard Whelan

Fionn The Cool - Aisling McLoughlin

A Legacy Of Ghosts - Colin Dann

The Wakening - Paul Stewart

Chain Letter 1 & 2- Christopher Pike

Catchman - Chris Wooding

They were all books I read time and time again. Loved every single one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
I read a lot of Enid Blyton. And Roald Dahl. Oh and Just William(can't remeber who that was by though)!

I think Richmal Crompton is the name you are after.

Some of my early favourites were:

Rupert annuals

Winnie The Pooh & The House at Pooh Corner, A.A. Milne

Secret Seven series & Mr Twiddle books, E. Blyton

Just William series, Richmal Crompton

Worzel Gummidge books, Barbara Euphan Todd

The Adventures of Paddington, Michael Bond

Swiss Family Robinson, J.R. Weiss

The Otterbury Incident, C. Day Lewis with wonderful sketches by Edward Ardizzone

Later on I enjoyed:

The Viking Trilogy, Henry Treece

The Marsh King & The Namesake by C. Walter Hodges

Coot Club, Arthur Ransome

Watership Down, R. Adams

Mostly Enid's Malory Towers, St Clares .. some of her Famous Five books and lots of her Mystery books (with the very politically incorrectly named Fatty!).

Also Just William, Jennings, What Katy Did, Wind in the Willows, Mrs Pepperpot, Black Beauty and Milly, Molly Mandy.

I felt I'd really stepped up a gear when I read The Hobbit and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe :D

Enid Blyton was spectacular. I loved her Faraway Tree series, Mr Meddle, and her mysteries. I'm 25 and I found myself re-reading the Enchanted Wood last week, that's how good it is.

Anne of Green Gables and the subsequent books were pretty good too, though I don't think it's really a children's book.

Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, I think those were pretty staple as well.

oooh i adored the Faraway tree books too! I also loved 'The Worst Witch' books. My mum always used to compare me to Mildred :D always getting into trouble etc. I also read 'Sophie's Tom' over and over until the pages were all wrinkled and battered.

come to think of it, i also loved the books we read together as a class in Primary school, like Roald Dahl and Paul Jennings.

Edited by Maureen

I just remembered that one of my favorite books growing up was called the Headless Cupid. It was a scary ghost story, well it was scary back then (:D) and it was one of the first chapter books that I can remember reading. I must have taken it out of the school library like 10 times. It was an awesome read. :tong:

• 2 weeks later...

my favorite childhood book is goose bumps by r.l stine..

my first book of r.l stine is the mummy was given to me by my auntie..

til then i was addicted and im buying goosebumps series almost weekly..

i still have my huge collection of the book and read it again every now and then..:blush:

Edited by Michelle

• 4 weeks later...

The faraway tree series, by Enid Blyton. First delve into fantasy!!

Then moved onto the Hobbit and The lord of the rings.

Other childhood favourites which made a lasting impression were,

Rebecca's World: Journey to the forbidden planet. Terry Nation.

The silver sword. Ian Serreillier.

And the novels by Joan Lingard set in Northern Ireland about 'Kevin and 'Sadie'.