What do you dip your chips in?

ian

I inadvertently started this on another conversation, but I didn't want to take over that thread with this as it was off topic.

This came up as we were talking about Belgium, where I "discovered" chips and mayonnaise, which is a wonderful thing.

So, you have a bowl of chips (French Fries) on a table in front of you. Given the choice, what are you going to dip them in?

And although I do like mayonnaise, I do come from Birmingham, which by my research, is about the southern limit of chips with gravy, which would always be my first choice. Curry sauce is very nice too!

I've recently stopped having ketchup with mine (I think I might actually be growing up at last, and find ketchup masks the flavour of most food instead of adding to it :D), but I do love a chip butty with plenty of butter so it melts and runs down your hand!

We only really have oven chips in a meal, and nearly always with baked beans on the plate, so I'll sometimes dip my chips in the baked bean sauce.  I occasionally have a bag of chips when we're on holiday at the seaside, and then it's just plain old salt and vinegar, but more vinegar than salt for me.

I used to work with someone who would have mayonnaise mixed with ketchup and dunk her chips in that.  :o 

I used to work with someone who would have mayonnaise mixed with ketchup and dunk her chips in that.  :o 

That's homemade Thousand Island dressing.   :D   I make it myself too, but as a sauce for prawns.  (Better than shelling out on expensive ready-made variants!)

Chips with mayo -- DELISH.  Count me in.  I'm also very fond of Lea & Perrins worcestershire sauce, but sprinkled on the chips rather than used as a dip.

Edited by Onion Budgie

Ahh, when I saw the heading, I thought of what we call potato chips, I believe Brits call them crisps?  :D  So, that'd be sour cream and chive dip, please.

However for your chips, (our French Fries) ketchup or butter please. :)  Although a creamy Ranch dip would be nice.

Edited by pontalba

I rarely dip chips/fries. If they are with a fried egg then it will be the yolk, but beyond that it's salt and occasionally vinegar. And nothing tastes as good as fresh cooked chip-shop chips wrapped in paper and eaten outside on a cold day.  :D

I inadvertently started this on another conversation, but I didn't want to take over that thread with this as it was off topic.

This came up as we were talking about Belgium, where I "discovered" chips and mayonnaise, which is a wonderful thing.

So, you have a bowl of chips (French Fries) on a table in front of you. Given the choice, what are you going to dip them in?

And although I do like mayonnaise, I do come from Birmingham, which by my research, is about the southern limit of chips with gravy, which would always be my first choice. Curry sauce is very nice too!

I laughed when I saw this thread xD Good job Ian :giggle:

I like to dip my chips in mayonnaise mixed with mustard. I don't know if it's a popular combo everywhere in Belgium but everybody in my family does it. We also like ketchup with mayo and what I think is ranch, I'm not quite sure as it's called tartare sauce here.

In Belgium, you'll also find a common combo in fries with applesauce. I'm not too keen on it but it's a really popular one in general.

Ketchup and Sriracha.

Making chips - slice a potato, peel and all, into slices, not thick, and into strips. Put some oil, not much, 1-2 teaspoon, into a flat bottom microwaveable thing and toss chips - salt, garlic powder, pepper - if you wish.

Microwave 2 min, toss, microwave 2 min - and again, more if needed, till they are really done. Some under done ones are not nice. You can get then half done and let cool wile cooking the meal - then they cook later in half the time. Not great chips but really quick and easy.

Probably tomato sauce. Unless they're really nice chip shop chips, then just salt and vinegar. I like chips and gravy but I would only really have that if the meal had gravy - like pie and chips with gravy. If I had lasagne I would dip them in that (that's one of my favourites!). Beans are good too. I never liked mayonnaise though!

When I had my flat (at uni), if I was really hungry and didn't have much money to go and buy food, I would cook really cheap frozen chips and put them in a casserole dish, then pour a tin of beans on top - and then grate some cheese on top of that if I happened to have any. Probably not the most nutritious thing I ever ate but very satisfying when you're hungry  :D

Usually ketchup, but also queso if I have some around. I'm a queso addict  :wub: . My dad likes to mix salt and vinegar with ketchup, and then dip them in that. It tastes pretty good, but I'm usually too lazy to go to the trouble of mixing it up. Sriracha is good as well. I went through a phase where I dipped just about everything in that. 

I do *not* understand how some of you can eat them with mayo! It's definitely not a thing here. Mayonnaise just grosses me out in general, though. Ah, to each their own! 

Edited by Lara

This is very interesting. I didn't realise there were so many things to dip chips into. :lol:

For me, it's ketchup all the way. I went through a phase of mayonnaise, but not keen on that anymore. Curry sauce is ok too. Oh, and cheesy chips....but you have to put the chips back in the oven for a little while so the cheese melts through to the bottom. Yum!