Muggle Not - Books Read 2016

muggle not

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the wolf, the following is kinda mind boggling. Make sure your sound is on:

This is truly amazing ... how we change the world ...

Remember when the wolves were introduced back into Yellowstone

National Park about 20 years ago? There was a lot of debate about

whether or not it was a good thing.

How often do we wonder, what the heck difference does one type of animal make

in the greater scheme of things?

Sit back and enjoy this amazing video on how just one animal has

changed the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ysa5OBhXz-Q?feature=player_embedded

That is absolutely fabulous, muggle!!  Thanks so much for sharing the vid.  It's in my favorites now. :D

Actually, I came over here to post a link to something I've just bought that you might be interested in. :)  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553371029?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00  The Sackett Companion: Louis L'Amour. :)

I couldn't resist a second hand copy. :D

That is absolutely fabulous, muggle!!  Thanks so much for sharing the vid.  It's in my favorites now. :D

Actually, I came over here to post a link to something I've just bought that you might be interested in. :)  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553371029?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00  The Sackett Companion: Louis L'Amour. :)

I couldn't resist a second hand copy. :D

I thought that I had "ALL" of Louis L'Amour's books but don't think I have that one. All of my L'Amour books are packed away in cardboard boxes. I will have to dig in them and look. The book sounds wonderful for a companion to Sackett. Thank you much.

Edited by muggle not

I am currently reading The Devils Bed by William Kent Krueger and am 65% into it. It is a great read, possibly the best by him that I have read.

Books I have on hold at the library:

The Revenant – Michael Punke (I am next in line)
The Martian – Andy Weir (3 people ahead of me)
The Guilty – David Baldacci (3 people ahead of me)
Go Set A Watchman – Harper Lee (5 people ahead of me)
Rogue Lawyer – John Grisham (7 people ahead of me)

I may re-read a Louis L’Amour book while waiting on the Revenant to become available.

I am currently reading The Devils Bed by William Kent Krueger and am 65% into it. It is a great read, possibly the best by him that I have read.

This is another stand alone book of his, right, Muggle Not?  Is it also set in MN?  I have definitely added it to my wish list!

This past weekend I was happy to find Purgatory Ridge at 1/2 Price Books so I'm looking forward to reading it soon :D.

This is another stand alone book of his, right, Muggle Not?  Is it also set in MN?  I have definitely added it to my wish list!

This past weekend I was happy to find Purgatory Ridge at 1/2 Price Books so I'm looking forward to reading it soon :D.

Yes, one of his stand alone books. Most of the book takes place in MN but some in Washington, DC.

Do you have a kindle or are all your reads via the actual book route. I get probably 95% of my books free from the library via download to my kindle. Matter of fact think I will go right now and download The Daybreakers by Louis L'Amour to my kindle as I only have a few pages left to The Devils Bed.

Yes, one of his stand alone books. Most of the book takes place in MN but some in Washington, DC.

Do you have a kindle or are all your reads via the actual book route. I get probably 95% of my books free from the library via download to my kindle. Matter of fact think I will go right now and download The Daybreakers by Louis L'Amour to my kindle as I only have a few pages left to The Devils Bed.

I have an iPad mini on which I use the Kindle app so I will definitely have to check with my library to see about availability.  I don't know why I haven't really thought of that before!

Books I have on hold at the library:

The Revenant – Michael Punke (I am next in line)

The Martian – Andy Weir (3 people ahead of me)

The Guilty – David Baldacci (3 people ahead of me)

Go Set A Watchman – Harper Lee (5 people ahead of me)

Rogue Lawyer – John Grisham (7 people ahead of me)

I may re-read a Louis L’Amour book while waiting on the Revenant to become available.

The strangest thing has happened. Yesterday when I checked my holds list at the library I noticed that there were 6 books on hold not the 5 that you see in the quote. The new book on hold is The Girl That Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde. I "DID NOT" put the book on hold but as many of you know Jasper is one of my favorite authors. Today I got an email notification saying the book was ready for me to download. :blink: I am pretty sure I have not previously read this book so I guess I will download it. :) The Willie Nelson book that I bought last night will have to wait awhile.

I finished the CRH book today:

15. Ask Me Why - Catherine Ryan Hyde - 8/10 - an enjoyable read. as usual there is a "life lesson" in the book. I am glad I read this book. ​

Edited by muggle not

I wish you good luck with The Revenant, I just could not get through the sample.  It wasn't graphic or anything (the small bit I read), but it jumped around a bit and confused me.

Have you seen the movie for The Martian?  I hope not and you can experience the book properly, I loved it, but knew the end :banghead:  

Did you see CRH will be out with a new book, Leaving Blythe River on June 14th?  It sounds good.

Edited by Anna Begins

I wish you good luck with The Revenant, I just could not get through the sample.  It wasn't graphic or anything (the small bit I read), but it jumped around a bit and confused me.

Have you seen the movie for The Martian?  I hope not and you can experience the book properly, I loved it, but knew the end :banghead:  

Did you see CRH will be out with a new book, Leaving Blythe River on June 14th?  It sounds good.

I haven't seen the movie of The Martian and will not watch it until after reading the book. Same will be true of The Revenant. I did not notice that CRH has a new book coming out but will check it out. :)

Happy reading muggle not :)

Thank you very much, I wish the same to you. Isn't reading wonderful.

I finished the CRH book today:

15. Ask Me Why - Catherine Ryan Hyde - 8/10 - an enjoyable read. as usual there is a "life lesson" in the book. I am glad I read this book. ​

That's good to hear, I've been doubting about whether to buy that one or not, at some point, as I wasn't sure if it would be good.

16. A Long Life - My Story - Willie Nelson - 9/10 ...This was an enjoyable read for me. The writing was good and the story of Willie Nelson's life was even more interesting than I thought it would be. His early life was a real struggle yet he never lost his faith (in God and of music) and continued with his love of music and writing through some difficult times that would have stopped most from pursuing their dreams. Willie is an American music legend.

17. The Revenant - Michael Punke - 7/10 - It was an ok read but there are many other books featuring the Mountain Man's history that are "heads-and-tails" better than this book, and I generally love books on Mountain Men and their place in American History.

I am currently reading The Sea Wolf by Jack London. So far it is an ok book.

The strangest thing has happened. Yesterday when I checked my holds list at the library I noticed that there were 6 books on hold not the 5 that you see in the quote. The new book on hold is The Girl That Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde. I "DID NOT" put the book on hold but as many of you know Jasper is one of my favorite authors. Today I got an email notification saying the book was ready for me to download. :blink: I am pretty sure I have not previously read this book so I guess I will download it. :)

Maybe your library knows you so well now that they automatically added the book to your hold list for you. It's a nice thought anyway. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe your library knows you so well now that they automatically added the book to your hold list for you. It's a nice thought anyway. :)

If so, I wish they would put the books on hold a little earlier. :)

20. The Martian - Andy Weir - 8/10 - good read but not spectacular for me :)

19. The Guilty - David Baldacci - 8/10 - typical good read by Baldacci

18. The Sea-Wolf - Jack London - 8.5/10 - A good read

I don't have a book readily available to read. I would like to get another book read by the end of March :)

I have Ordinary Grace on hold at the library. I am #2 on the hold list. I really like the William Kent Krueger books. I will soon have to buy a few of his books as the library doesn't have them. :cry:

20. The Martian - Andy Weir - 8/10 - good read but not spectacular for me :)

19. The Guilty - David Baldacci - 8/10 - typical good read by Baldacci

18. The Sea-Wolf - Jack London - 8.5/10 - A good read

I don't have a book readily available to read. I would like to get another book read by the end of March :)

Well, I did get another book read by the end of March:

21 - The Humans of New York -Brandon Stanton - 8/10 - I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it was entertaining to say the least.

I am now reading Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger. I just started the book but already know that I am going to like it very much.

Edited by muggle not

22. Ordinary Grace - William Kent Krueger - 9/10 - A thoroughly enjoyable read. This is a book that stays in my mind. From Amazon:

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

WINNER OF THE 2014 EDGAR AWARD FOR BEST NOVEL

WINNER OF THE 2014 DILYS AWARD

A SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL BEST BOOK OF 2013

“That was it. That was all of it. A grace so ordinary there was no reason at all to remember it. Yet I have never across the forty years since it was spoken forgotten a single word.”

New Bremen, Minnesota, 1961. The Twins were playing their debut season, ice-cold root beers were selling out at the soda counter of Halderson’s Drugstore, and Hot Stuff comic books were a mainstay on every barbershop magazine rack. It was a time of innocence and hope for a country with a new, young president. But for thirteen-year-old Frank Drum it was a grim summer in which death visited frequently and assumed many forms. Accident. Nature. Suicide. Murder.

Frank begins the season preoccupied with the concerns of any teenage boy, but when tragedy unexpectedly strikes his family—which includes his Methodist minister father; his passionate, artistic mother; Juilliard-bound older sister; and wise-beyond-his-years kid brother—he finds himself thrust into an adult world full of secrets, lies, adultery, and betrayal, suddenly called upon to demonstrate a maturity and gumption beyond his years.

Told from Frank’s perspective forty years after that fateful summer, Ordinary Grace is a brilliantly moving account of a boy standing at the door of his young manhood, trying to understand a world that seems to be falling apart around him. It is an unforgettable novel about discovering the terrible price of wisdom and the enduring grace of God.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed this book, Muggle Not!  :smile2: 

I felt like Krueger perfectly captured decades-old small town life here in MN.  In the early 70's it wasn't much different - I remember listening to baseball and disappearing after school for hours playing, and not having to be home until the street lights came on.  I'm sure it was like that all over the country way back when.

I just remember feeling how quiet this book felt, and how lovely that was!