Muggle Not - Books Read 2016

muggle not

I'm so pleased you enjoyed this book, Muggle Not!  :smile2: 

I felt like Krueger perfectly captured decades-old small town life here in MN.  In the early 70's it wasn't much different - I remember listening to baseball and disappearing after school for hours playing, and not having to be home until the street lights came on.  I'm sure it was like that all over the country way back when.

I just remember feeling how quiet this book felt, and how lovely that was! 

Ordinary Grace really connected with me. I too totally understood everything in the book. For some reason the book reminded me a little of "To Kill A Mockingbird", but, I am sure it is only me. :)

Currently reading Trigger Warnings by Neil Gaiman and am struggling with it. For some reason I am not fond of Gaiman's short stories.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently reading Trigger Warnings by Neil Gaiman and am struggling with it. For some reason I am not fond of Gaiman's short stories.

That's a shame :(. I've only read novels by him and those I liked. I hope it gets better for you.

• 6 months later...

I will start reading today “Thrice The Brinded  Cat Hath Mew’d (A Flavia de Luce novel) by Alan Bradley. I am really anxious to start reading this book as the “Flavia” series by Bradley is very enjoyable reading.

​My reading has been slow this year but am getting back on track. There was a big gap between my reading End of the Watch and Red Knife especially.

33. The Jealous Kind – James Lee Burke – 9/10 – The prose by Burke in this book was great and I enjoyed the story line

32. Red Knife – William Kent Krueger – typical good writing by Krueger, book has an interesting twist to it

31. End of Watch – Stephen King – 8/10 – unlike some forum members J, I enjoyed the book

30. The Body In The Library – Agatha Christie – 8/10 – enjoyable, Agatha Christie continues to be my go-to writer when I need something to read and nothing comes to mind

29. The Last Mile – David Baldacci – 8/10 – ok reading but not one of his better books

28. Thunfer Bay – William Kent Krueger – 8/10 – good reading, Krueger is a good author

27. Leaving Blythe River – Catherine Ryan Hyde – 8/10 – not one of her best books but still ok

26. Bandits – Elmore Leonard – 8/10 – enjoyable but not great

25. Rogue lawyer – John Grisham – 8/10 – Typical good writing by Grisham

24. Go Set A watchman – harper Lee – 8/10

23. Trigger Warning – Neil Gaiman – 6/10 – I love Neil Gaimans writing but not his short stories.

Edited by muggle not

Good to 'see' you Muggle Not!

Most of the books you read were nice reads, that's good :). Shame about the Neil Gaiman short stories. Glad to hear Leaving Blythe River was nice (though shame it wasn't great). I wasn't sure if there would be a paperback edition, but it seems there is! I'll probably buy that at some point :).

• 1 month later...

35. The Shadow of the Wind (Cemetery of Forgotten Books) – Carlos Ruiz Zafon - 8/10 - I should maybe rate it a little higher. I got a little confused about 80% thru the book (probably my lack of understanding, not the writing) :) but the story and writing was very good.

34. Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew’d – Alan Bradley - 8/10 - good book but probably not near as good as all the previous "Flavia" series books.

Edited by muggle not

34. Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew’d – Alan Bradley - 8/10 - good book but probably not near as good as all the previous "Flavia" series books.

Agreed, Muggle, probably my least favourite of the series, but still wouldn't have missed it for anything, even if it's just to keep up with what's happening in Flavia's life. This one seemed to lack much from the other usual interesting personalities.

36. Heavens Keep - William Kent Krueger - 8/10 - Even though I give it a 8/10 it may have been a wee bit better than most of his books in the series which have all been good. I believe I have now read about 10 of Krueger;s books. There was  much sadness in this book.

Whiskey and Charlie - Annabel Smith - 8/10 - I really enjoyed this book. As stated below, the book will stay with me for a while.

"A sharp, perceptive novel about family and forgiveness, Whiskey & Charlie will stay with me for a very long time." Christina Baker Kline, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Orphan Train

Amazon Editorial Reviews

Review

''Whiskey & Charlie is a clever, beautifully written book that pulls at the heartstrings and adeptly intertwines past and present.'' --Lori Nelson Spielman, author of The Life List

''Roiling with heart and soul, Whiskey & Charlie is a cleverly-written journey through the maze of family relationships. With her talent for nailing honest emotions, Annabel Smith draws you into her tale with a deft hand. By the end, you'll long to call your siblings and repair any petty squabbles.'' --Mary Hogan, author of Two Sisters

''A powerful, emotionally riven tale of a brother's deep, complicated love.'' -- Kirkus