4. Boundary Waters – William Kent Krueger – 8/10

3. Iron Lake - William Kent Krueger – 8/10

2. Rising Steam – Terry Pratchett – 7/10

1. The Wild Man of the West – R.M.Ballantyne – 7/10

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow- you are doing well already!  You've been missed!

Thank You. I wasn't posting for awhile but I did pop in now-and-then to see what you all were reading.:)

Hey, Muggle Not!  How goes it?  I see you've already read more William Kent Krueger than me!  I've only read the first 2 of the Cork O'Connor series but I love them :D

Thanks for the recommendation. I do appreciate it. I really enjoy the William Kent Krueger novels. They are also a fast read as the stories make it hard to put the books down. I read book 4 before book 3 and that was a mistake. It really is best to read them in sequence. That said, the library doesn't have book 5 but does have book 6 so I am now reading, again, out of sequence book 6. There are about 7 books that the library doesn't have so I have a problem. :)

You've read a lot of books already! Welcome back :). I hope you have a great reading year :readingtwo:.

Thank you. I hope you also have a good reading year. I haven't read any Catherine Ryan Hyde recently but will fit 1 or 2 of hers in soon.

Happy reading, Muggle Not! It looks like you've had a great start to the year.

I must say, I love your username!  :witch:

Thank you and thank you. Guess who I was a fan of. :)

Have a good reading year :) Looks like you have had great reads so far!

Thank you. I also wish you a great reading year. Yes, I have enjoyed the books I have read so far. Peacefield recommended the William Kent Krueger books and now I am hooked on them. I believe there are about 16 books by Krueger and our library does not have 7 of them, so, if I can't talk the library into purchasing those seven I will have to break down and buy them. :)

I'm so glad you've been enjoying Krueger, Muggle Not!  I agree, they are fast reads because you just cannot put them down.  His descriptions of northern MN are spot on so rest assured you're getting an accurate picture of what life is like up there.  My best friend's parents grew up very close to a local Indian reservation up there and I've heard many stories about what it was like living alongside the Native Americans.

If you ever want to read a stand alone William Kent Krueger novel, I read a book of his last year called 'Ordinary Grace' and it was just outstanding :D.

Happy reading!!

I'm so glad you've been enjoying Krueger, Muggle Not!  I agree, they are fast reads because you just cannot put them down.  His descriptions of northern MN are spot on so rest assured you're getting an accurate picture of what life is like up there.  My best friend's parents grew up very close to a local Indian reservation up there and I've heard many stories about what it was like living alongside the Native Americans.

If you ever want to read a stand alone William Kent Krueger novel, I read a book of his last year called 'Ordinary Grace' and it was just outstanding :D.

Happy reading!!

Our library has both Ordinary Grace and Devils Bed and they are in my sights. BTW, I am now reading Copper River and it is one heck of a book. I am about 50% into the book and it may be one of my favorites so far. However, please don't do what I did as I am reading it before book 5. It is a mistake as I realize things happened in book 5 that would shed much light on book 6.

8. Last of the Breed – Louis L’Amour – 9/10

7. Purgatory Ridge – William Kent Krueger – 8/10

6. Blood Hollow – William Kent Krueger – 8/10

5. This Dark Road To Mercy – Wiley Cash – 8/10

10. Call of the Wild - Jack London - 9/10 - A classic read

9. Copper River - William Kent Krueger - 8.5/10 - Excellent read. Features a young girl that reminds me of an older Flavia de Luce  that takes no crap from anyone.

I am currently reading White Fang by Jack London while waiting on a bunch of books to be available from the library.

Edited by muggle not

Both White Fang and Call of the Wild were written from the Dog's point of view. The deeper I got into White Fang the more I liked the book. A terrific tale of a dog in the Yukon that is 3/4 wolf. The story begins with his birth (actually before his birth as it discusses his mothers life in the wild in Yukon. This is an amazing book that I will read again sometime as I enjoyed it so much. Jack London died at the age of 40 in 1916.

11. White Fang - Jack London - 10/10

10. Call of the Wild - Jack London - 9/10 - A Classic read

9. Copper River - William Kent Krueger - 8.5/10

I've never read White Fang, even though I've had it on my Kindle since 2013. I might try to get to it soon.

I hope you find time to read White Fang. It is an amazing tale told from the dogs point of view of life in the Yukon and beyond. Some parts of the book are brutal but entirely believable. I really liked how White Fang viewed humans, we could take a lesson from him.

It is that.  I read it in 5th grade and never got over it.

5th grade is much too young to read White Fang although I suspect that it would not be the book for you regardless. :smile:

I fell in love with the wolf/dog and was attached to it like the eventual "master". It was a tale of an amazingly intelligent animal.

5th grade is much too young to read White Fang although I suspect that it would not be the book for you regardless. :smile:

I fell in love with the wolf/dog and was attached to it like the eventual "master". It was a tale of an amazingly intelligent animal.

I agree, I always read above my grade level.  But it has stuck with me, all these years, a powerful read for sure.

Speaking of the wolf, the following is kinda mind boggling. Make sure your sound is on:

This is truly amazing ... how we change the world ...

Remember when the wolves were introduced back into Yellowstone
National Park about 20 years ago? There was a lot of debate about
whether or not it was a good thing.

How often do we wonder, what the heck difference does one type of animal make
in the greater scheme of things?

Sit back and enjoy this amazing video on how just one animal has
changed the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ysa5OBhXz-Q?feature=player_embedded

Edited by muggle not

I am currently reading Bull Mountain, a book by Brian Panowich, a fairly new author. So far - so good.
From Amazon:
From a remarkable new voice in Southern fiction, a multigenerational saga of crime, family, and vengeance.

Clayton Burroughs comes from a long line of outlaws. For generations, the Burroughs clan has made its home on Bull Mountain in North Georgia, running shine, pot, and meth over six state lines, virtually untouched by the rule of law. To distance himself from his family’s criminal empire, Clayton took the job of sheriff in a neighboring community to keep what peace he can. But when a federal agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms shows up at Clayton’s office with a plan to shut down the mountain, his hidden agenda will pit brother against brother, test loyalties, and could lead Clayton down a path to self-destruction.

In a sweeping narrative spanning decades and told from alternating points of view, the novel brilliantly evokes the atmosphere of the mountain and its inhabitants: forbidding, loyal, gritty, and ruthless. A story of family—the lengths men will go to protect it, honor it, or in some cases destroy it—Bull Mountain is an incredibly assured debut that heralds a major new talent in fiction. 

11. Body In The Library - Agatha Christie 8/10

Edited by muggle not

I am currently reading Bull Mountain, a book by Brian Panowich, a fairly new author. So far - so good.

From Amazon:

From a remarkable new voice in Southern fiction, a multigenerational saga of crime, family, and vengeance.

Clayton Burroughs comes from a long line of outlaws. For generations, the Burroughs clan has made its home on Bull Mountain in North Georgia, running shine, pot, and meth over six state lines, virtually untouched by the rule of law. To distance himself from his family’s criminal empire, Clayton took the job of sheriff in a neighboring community to keep what peace he can. But when a federal agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms shows up at Clayton’s office with a plan to shut down the mountain, his hidden agenda will pit brother against brother, test loyalties, and could lead Clayton down a path to self-destruction.

In a sweeping narrative spanning decades and told from alternating points of view, the novel brilliantly evokes the atmosphere of the mountain and its inhabitants: forbidding, loyal, gritty, and ruthless. A story of family—the lengths men will go to protect it, honor it, or in some cases destroy it—Bull Mountain is an incredibly assured debut that heralds a major new talent in fiction. 

11. Body In The Library - Agatha Christie 8/10

12. Bull Mountain - Brian Panowich - 8.5/10 - excellent read. the type book that you can't put down. great story and we will be hearing more from Panowich. I really, really, enjoyed this book even though it was frequently brutal.

I just downloaded from the Library The Devils Bed  by William Kent Krueger

Edited by muggle not