What's Up in February 2016?

chesilbeach

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget it's a day longer this year ... all the better to fit more reading in, if you ask me. :D

:exc:  A great thought to start a new month with!

The little one is still sick, the dog is not dead.  We are 50/50 at the moment.

Hope your kid feels better soon Anna :)

My new housemates called over last night to drop off their deposits and things. One of them is moving in tonight. They seem lovely and friendly and we had a good chat. One is from India, one from New Orleans in Louisiana. Both love very hot weather hehe, which they won't get here. I think they'll get on well with each other.

It's very draining for me to adapt to new people, I spent hours last night after they left replaying the conversation in my head and criticizing the things I said, and I kept trying to make myself stop and read my book but ten minutes later I'd be staring off into space thinking about something else I said that might make them not like me. Anxiety is a very demanding thing! I'm absolutely shattered. Not sleeping well for the same reason, and every aspect of my life is throwing too much at me at the moment. 

Yeah. I'll be okay, it's just a lot.

:exc:  A great thought to start a new month with!

Oh Anna, what a difficult time.  I do hope your child is getting over the flu quickly, and send you lots of positive thoughts about your dog.  

Hope your kid feels better soon Anna :)

My new housemates called over last night to drop off their deposits and things. One of them is moving in tonight. They seem lovely and friendly and we had a good chat. One is from India, one from New Orleans in Louisiana. Both love very hot weather hehe, which they won't get here. I think they'll get on well with each other.

It's very draining for me to adapt to new people, I spent hours last night after they left replaying the conversation in my head and criticizing the things I said, and I kept trying to make myself stop and read my book but ten minutes later I'd be staring off into space thinking about something else I said that might make them not like me. Anxiety is a very demanding thing! I'm absolutely shattered. Not sleeping well for the same reason, and every aspect of my life is throwing too much at me at the moment. 

Yeah. I'll be okay, it's just a lot.

Hi Nolaig - hope your housemates settle in well, and are fun to live with.  Have you heard of www.headspace.com  - great for learning how to switch the brain off from anxious thoughts.

Me, I've been looking at Pinterest over the last few days.  Found so many good books (mostly memoirs) that I would like to read, almost stressed as to how I'm going to get through them all.  

Also trying to get rid of the smell of beer as our overlarge rescued cat (9 kilos) - a big cuddly monster, knocked over a whole glass of beer yesterday (wobbly back legs).  Hoping I don't have the wash the sofa cover - or the floor!   Naturally the cat was not at fault, a beer glass shouldn't have been left near where he was sitting.  

Happy 1st February everyone!  Don't forget it's a day longer this year ... all the better to fit more reading in, if you ask me. :D

I hadn't realised this, good to know! 

I hope the little one and the dog recover soon :friends0:.

I would feel the same :empathy:. I hope you feel better soon, once things calm down.

Me, I've been looking at Pinterest over the last few days.  Found so many good books (mostly memoirs) that I would like to read, almost stressed as to how I'm going to get through them all.  

Also trying to get rid of the smell of beer as our overlarge rescued cat (9 kilos) - a big cuddly monster, knocked over a whole glass of beer yesterday (wobbly back legs).  Hoping I don't have the wash the sofa cover - or the floor!   Naturally the cat was not at fault, a beer glass shouldn't have been left near where he was sitting.

Nice you found some nice books! I hope you can get rid of the beer smell.

Today we cleaned the attic up some more and brought lots of stuff to the secondhand shop. Obviously I had a look at their books and bought some :D.

Thanks all, Luka (my puppy wuppy) is 11, so it gave us quite a scare.  He is completely better now, wagging his tail and bouncing around.  My Luka is back :wub:   The little one is still sick, but feels and looks better today :)

My new housemate didn't actually move in last night, and the other one didn't call over last night, AND my landlords didn't come over to fix/do anything - so I ended up having the house to myself for one last night, which was lovely! I spent a significant portion of it lying in bed doing absolutely nothing but appreciating the fact that I could do that in silence. Then I ordered pizza, because I won't do that much with housemates. :giggle:

After work today one of my housemates (Cat) has asked me to bring her bedding shopping (she arrived from the States on Thurs and has nothing of that description). I did offer to do so on Monday, so that'll be interesting. 

Been dreaming about all of it quite a lot - last night dreamt Raj (other housemate) came in and was chatting before he went to bed - but it was in my parents house, not this rented house. Also dreamt that my dog, Roxi (lives at my parents) had been left alone for three days and was so starved she couldn't physically move - because I had forgotten all about her. Really unpleasant.

Thanks all, Luka (my puppy wuppy) is 11, so it gave us quite a scare.  He is completely better now, wagging his tail and bouncing around.  My Luka is back :wub:   The little one is still sick, but feels and looks better today :)

Glad to hear Luka is better, we had that with Obi (12) last year and it was so scary. :(

Busy busy here, the usia demands of the house, dogs and 3 busy kids but we are also looking into getting some work done on the house including knocking through between the kitchen and dining room and getting it all refitted and o course with that comes the challenge of getting designs done and organising suppliers and fitters that don't cost the earth yet and easy to work with and reliable!  :o

Steve is home tomorrow evening for two weeks so we will spend a lot of that visiting showrooms and arguing over colours and styles!  :P

Maddie is off to America in just over a week which I am feeling a little stressed about, thankfully she isn't worried at all and is just insanely excited! :)

We also need to start looking at getting a second car as Charlie will be learning to drive in a few months, I think I will truly know what scary is when that happens!  :giggle2:

It sounds as if February has started out with a bang for all of you - excellent stuff!  :smile2: 

Noll, good luck with your new housemates!  And yay for an American one!  I hope she represents us well.  Is she going to school while she's living there?  I know you said Raj works at the same college you do, right?

I'm glad your little one and dog are both feeling better, Anna.  Hopefully the little one will be back to 100% soon!

At least you didn't add to your collection of secondhand books, right, Athena?  You made an even trade! :lol:

I'm very jealous of your getting to argue over paint samples and other new design things, Chalie!  I love that and also love hearing about other people doing it!  My design background makes me so.  And YIPPEE to your daughter coming to the US!  What will she be doing while she's here and where abouts will she be?  

Sort of a quiet week so far for me.  I went into work on Monday but Tuesday and today I'm working at home since we had a nice wee blizzard yesterday in the upper midwest.  I'm so thankful I can be in where it's warm!  I'm on vacation Friday and am surprising my mom with her 1/2 day at the spa for her 80th birthday.  She doesn't know I took the day off OR about her present so I'm excited to tell her about it come Friday morning.  We'll then go out for a fancy dinner to celebrate both of our birthdays (mine was on the 1st).

I'm glad your little one and dog are both feeling better, Anna.  Hopefully the little one will be back to 100% soon!

Sort of a quiet week so far for me.  I went into work on Monday but Tuesday and today I'm working at home since we had a nice wee blizzard yesterday in the upper midwest.  I'm so thankful I can be in where it's warm!  I'm on vacation Friday and am surprising my mom with her 1/2 day at the spa for her 80th birthday.  She doesn't know I took the day off OR about her present so I'm excited to tell her about it come Friday morning.  We'll then go out for a fancy dinner to celebrate both of our birthdays (mine was on the 1st).

Thank you!

That sounds like a great birthday present!  Enjoy dinner!  Have you worked on "the never ending afghan" during the terrible weather?  I have one of those :D

Glad to hear Luka is better, we had that with Obi (12) last year and it was so scary. :(

Busy busy here

That is very kind, thank you!  As they get older, it's like, everyday is more precious. 

You do sound busy!  Try to take sometime at least, to relax :)

I was in a fender bender today. I was following behind a minivan that decided to make a sudden stop and left turn (without signalling). I was able to stop before rear ending the minivan. It turned left. As I looked out my rearview mirror I saw a little white Honda Civic collide into my hatch. I was not at fault and the German lady was given the ticket. She has a court date on 17 March. I was going to forego the court date as I really didn't need to be there. However this woman kept trying to badger me into admitting that I was also at fault for HER negligence. The officer spoke to a witness who told her the exact same thing that I told her and the other woman who told me. Yet she kept talking. She even came to my truck talking about the accident. I told her I refuse to talk about the accident with her, she kept talking and I moved so as not to have to get rude with her. The officer explained why she was at fault but she still wouldn't try to understand. I didn't hit anyone, why should I have to get the driver who made the sudden stop, tag number?

Needless to say, because she just wouldn't shut up about it I'll be going to court so that the ticket the officer wrote her sticks. If there is an accident the person at fault must show up. The victim does not have to but if they don't the person who caused the accident will have the ticket dropped. I'm not in the mood to be generous.  

I do not look forward to the day after an accident affect. Two years ago I had spinal fusion surgery and it was healing. Today I have a headache and stiff neck.  

Noll, good luck with your new housemates!  And yay for an American one!  I hope she represents us well.  Is she going to school while she's living there?  I know you said Raj works at the same college you do, right?

Thank you! So far she's representing ye brilliantly. She's from New Orleans, not sure if I said that. She's a reader, a nerd, well spoken, genuinely interested in Ireland (she did not come here seeking leprechauns, but with a basic knowledge of current politic and social issues in Ireland). We have a lot in common too, she likes Supernatural, Harry Potter, Doctor Who, etc. So it's really good. Raj also seems really nice. He does indeed work at my university. It's a good mix of people from different cultures and backgrounds, so it'll be really interesting. Never thought I'd hear myself say something like that hehe!

Oooh that sounds like a fab way to celebrate both your birthdays, happy 80th to your mum! You're gonna have a lovely day :D

Been dreaming about all of it quite a lot - last night dreamt Raj (other housemate) came in and was chatting before he went to bed - but it was in my parents house, not this rented house. Also dreamt that my dog, Roxi (lives at my parents) had been left alone for three days and was so starved she couldn't physically move - because I had forgotten all about her. Really unpleasant.

Awwwww :(.

Busy busy here, the usia demands of the house, dogs and 3 busy kids but we are also looking into getting some work done on the house including knocking through between the kitchen and dining room and getting it all refitted and o course with that comes the challenge of getting designs done and organising suppliers and fitters that don't cost the earth yet and easy to work with and reliable!  :o

Steve is home tomorrow evening for two weeks so we will spend a lot of that visiting showrooms and arguing over colours and styles!  :P

Maddie is off to America in just over a week which I am feeling a little stressed about, thankfully she isn't worried at all and is just insanely excited! :)

We also need to start looking at getting a second car as Charlie will be learning to drive in a few months, I think I will truly know what scary is when that happens!  :giggle2:

It sounds like you have a lot going on (and a lot to worry about)! I hope you enjoy spending time with Steve :).

At least you didn't add to your collection of secondhand books, right, Athena?  You made an even trade! :lol:

I'm very jealous of your getting to argue over paint samples and other new design things, Chalie!  I love that and also love hearing about other people doing it!  My design background makes me so.  And YIPPEE to your daughter coming to the US!  What will she be doing while she's here and where abouts will she be?  

Haha, well in the book case of Terre des Hommes yes, I traded several of my own books for 2 of theirs, and in the second hand shop I handed in stuff too but I did pay for the books, they don't do trades (though it's technically a trade with books + money involved). In the library, I did add to my collection :P.

I hope you have fun with your mum for her birthday :). 80 is a special number.

I'm full of horrible cold and feel rotten :( On top of that little one is poorly too so its not fun in this household :(

Awww :( I hope you both feel better soon :flowers2:

I was in a fender bender today. I was following behind a minivan that decided to make a sudden stop and left turn (without signalling). I was able to stop before rear ending the minivan. It turned left. As I looked out my rearview mirror I saw a little white Honda Civic collide into my hatch. I was not at fault and the German lady was given the ticket. She has a court date on 17 March. I was going to forego the court date as I really didn't need to be there. However this woman kept trying to badger me into admitting that I was also at fault for HER negligence. The officer spoke to a witness who told her the exact same thing that I told her and the other woman who told me. Yet she kept talking. She even came to my truck talking about the accident. I told her I refuse to talk about the accident with her, she kept talking and I moved so as not to have to get rude with her. The officer explained why she was at fault but she still wouldn't try to understand. I didn't hit anyone, why should I have to get the driver who made the sudden stop, tag number?

Needless to say, because she just wouldn't shut up about it I'll be going to court so that the ticket the officer wrote her sticks. If there is an accident the person at fault must show up. The victim does not have to but if they don't the person who caused the accident will have the ticket dropped. I'm not in the mood to be generous.  

I do not look forward to the day after an accident affect. Two years ago I had spinal fusion surgery and it was healing. Today I have a headache and stiff neck.

I hope you can get it sorted!

I look forward to rest and read a lot in the next few days. I've been so busy the past week, I feel like I've been "running on my toes" so to speak, energywise.

Hi everyone, hope to hear that you're all feeling better soon (and glad Luka the dog is better).  And you too Virginia, its awful enough when accidents happen, but for drivers to go mad about it isn't helpful, and just makes everything worse.   Glad your new house mates are going well so far Nollaig.

Last night the cat fell out of bed (cat lovers will understand why he was on the bed in the first place!).  To try and save himself he stuck his claws in the sheet - which are now wrecked - cat is ok though :) - 9 kilos of cat falling is quite a lot of sheet shredding .  Can't believe the price of sheets!  No way I'm going to get more Egyptian cotton lovely sheets (since found lots of claw holes in the other sheets too), back to Marks and Spencer I'm afraid. 

Hope tomorrow is a good day for you all.  

Have had an interesting week so far ... went out for a meal with my friend and then to see a show called The Last Tango which is the latest dance show from two former Strictly professionals (Vincent & Flavia) which was amazing, and a lovely story with one very poignant moment that brought a tear to my eye.  All good so far.  

The next morning I go to the car to go to work to find I have a flat tyre! Had to wait a couple of hours for the breakdown people to come and change it for me, then a trip to the tyre depot to get it repaired.  I knew both back tyres were close to needing replacing anyway, so decided to get them both done at the same time and save another trip in a couple of weeks.  An expensive morning and got into work nearly three hours late :doh:

Hopefully the week will go gently into the weekend after all the ups and downs so far! :D

Hi everyone, hope to hear that you're all feeling better soon (and glad Luka the dog is better).  And you too Virginia, its awful enough when accidents happen, but for drivers to go mad about it isn't helpful, and just makes everything worse.   Glad your new house mates are going well so far Nollaig.

Last night the cat fell out of bed (cat lovers will understand why he was on the bed in the first place!).  To try and save himself he stuck his claws in the sheet - which are now wrecked - cat is ok though :) - 9 kilos of cat falling is quite a lot of sheet shredding .  Can't believe the price of sheets!  No way I'm going to get more Egyptian cotton lovely sheets (since found lots of claw holes in the other sheets too), back to Marks and Spencer I'm afraid. 

Hope tomorrow is a good day for you all.  

Oh no!  :giggle2: Sorry, I need to giggle a little because my 20 lb Siamese, Winston, has done that exact thing. I've taken to sleeping with lots of fleece blankets on the bed so if he falls he just takes a blanket with him instead of my lovely sheets! But, since its just me and him sleeping in a queen sized bed, its easy to cover the part I'm not in with a layer of blankets that don't move  :giggle: Glad the little fuzzball is okay <3

I don't really have much to say, just wanted to pass around some hugs for all those who could use one today <3  :friends3:

Awwww :hug:.

Awww, shame about the sheets :(. I'm glad your cat is okay though.

The next morning I go to the car to go to work to find I have a flat tyre! Had to wait a couple of hours for the breakdown people to come and change it for me, then a trip to the tyre depot to get it repaired.  I knew both back tyres were close to needing replacing anyway, so decided to get them both done at the same time and save another trip in a couple of weeks.  An expensive morning and got into work nearly three hours late :doh:

Sorry to hear about the flat tyre :(, that is really not nice. I'm glad the performance was good though :).

I was very tired yesterday, I got too exhausted cleaning up books and working on the attic. I've been doing a lot this past week and a half so I felt so tired yesterday from it all. I'm probably going to need a few days to recover, in which I don't do as much.

I'm going to get an estimate on my truck today. Once we decide where to get it fixed, we can get the rental. I told them we are a family of 7 with 3 carseats. No little compact car for us. The problem I have with finding a body shop here is that we don't know the area or have any knowledge to go by. 

Whiny 1 year old and the 2 and 3 year olds are feeling a bit rambunctious. Not sure if I want to sit and deal with them today. I feel whiny, they feel whiny. Whose gonna win?

AbielleRose - love the picture of your siamese - good idea to cover the sheets with something!

Late last night I downloaded the latest Clare Chase - A Stranger's House (thriller, romantic, suspense) without noticing that its publication date is this coming Friday, so I need to get my review finished by the end of Thursday.  What a great excuse to sit outside (where its sunny :) ) and read all day.  Lovely, but feel shamed when I see you've been clearing up all week Athena - well done you!  

It's the weekend!!! Thank goodness it's here at last. :lol:

No plans, but according to the weather forecast, it looks like it'll be an indoors weekend, so hoping to do some sewing and reading, and just generally relax.  :) 

I hope you're having a good weekend :)

I'm going to get an estimate on my truck today. Once we decide where to get it fixed, we can get the rental. I told them we are a family of 7 with 3 carseats. No little compact car for us. The problem I have with finding a body shop here is that we don't know the area or have any knowledge to go by. 

Whiny 1 year old and the 2 and 3 year olds are feeling a bit rambunctious. Not sure if I want to sit and deal with them today. I feel whiny, they feel whiny. Whose gonna win?

I hope it won't cost so much to fix the truck.

Late last night I downloaded the latest Clare Chase - A Stranger's House (thriller, romantic, suspense) without noticing that its publication date is this coming Friday, so I need to get my review finished by the end of Thursday.  What a great excuse to sit outside (where its sunny :) ) and read all day.  Lovely, but feel shamed when I see you've been clearing up all week Athena - well done you!

I hope you enjoy the book :). Thanks :)!

I feel pretty exhausted from all the cleaning up and other things I've done, so today I'm going to make it a somewhat 'lazy' Sunday. Or at least, that's the plan.

It's the weekend!!! Thank goodness it's here at last. :lol:

And now its over again :(

I had a fairly relaxed weekend. Barely left my bedroom today and have done a lot of reading, so I'm happy about that. Had a friend over Friday, started American Horror Story: Coven. Watched the latest X-Files with one of my housemates last night which was cool, never once watched anything with my old housemates. My asthma has been a bit annoying this weekend is the only thing. Coughing when I lie down, a lot.