Your Book Activity - February 2016

chesilbeach

I am almost done with From a Buick 8 by Stephen King, struggling a little bit with Black Echo by Michael Connelly and I might be deliberately reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K.Rowling slowly, I am enjoying it though.

First time I have gotten this far with From a Buick 8, there is some incredibly gross scenes in this book...

Shelfy

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost finished The Black Snow by Paul Lynch, and I had started Snowblind by Ragnar Jonasson, and while it's not particularly bad it's also not drawing me in so I think I had better put it aside and get on with other books, because otherwise I'm going to fall behind.

I've just finished my 10th book of the year - Runner by Patrick Lee.

Off to a good start! 

I finished Phillip K. Dick's trippy Eye in the Sky this morning, part of the read a thon.  Not feeling so well today, so not sure how much reading I will get done, but I think I am going to start The Revenant.  I'm not sure yet though, still making my way through the sample. 

Off to a good start! 

I finished Phillip K. Dick's trippy Eye in the Sky this morning, part of the read a thon.  Not feeling so well today, so not sure how much reading I will get done, but I think I am going to start The Revenant.  I'm not sure yet though, still making my way through the sample. 

I know - 10 books so far, I'm very impressed! :boogie:

Would love to hear what you think of the The Revenant. I keep looking at it on Amazon, but I just can't make my mind up about it.

Last night I ordered two tree books for my Irish Counties Challenge, The Herbalist by Niamh Boyce and Solace by Belinda McKeon. I also bought About Sisterland by Martina Devlin for the challenge on my tablet because it was so much cheaper than buying a tree copy.

I've finished The Black Snow by Paul Lynch and loved it. Started About Sisterland last night and so far am really enjoying it :)

Just finished His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik. Real fun and refreshing read! I hope for a bit more action in de next books, but will definitly read the second one  :) (Temeraire series)

And now..Im going to start The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time #1) Not sure how long this is going to take for me to read through but..Here we go!  :readingtwo: 

:JC_cookies:   

Edited by Shyora

I finished A People's History of the United States which was fascinating and a little disturbing.

I then watched the Republican debate. Not recommended in the same weekend!!

Now starting The Thirty Nine Steps. Bit nervous about this as seen VERY mixed reviews but at least it's short if I don't like it :D

Now starting The Thirty Nine Steps. Bit nervous about this as seen VERY mixed reviews but at least it's short if I don't like it :D

I always thought I was in the minority in not really enjoying it, but perhaps not! The story was OK, but keep in mind that it's a product of its time. I found it quite ridiculous, with the extreme coincidences and cliches. The stage show (which I'm producing this year) is much more entertaining, as it's a combination of the book and Hitchcock's movie (and kind of a homage to other Hitchcock movies). Highly recommended, if you get a chance to see it! We (myself and the director) just found out that two other theatre groups in and around Sydney are doing productions of the show at the end of the month, so we're going to go and check them out (and see what ideas we can steal ;)).

I enjoyed The Thirty-Nine Steps when I read it years ago but I agree, it's definitely dated.   I recently read Prester John and that's also of its time (i.e.it contains racism that is rather unpalatable by today's standards, but was acceptable when it was written), but I liked it sufficiently to try another  of his at some stage (most, if not all, are free on Kindle).  :) 

I started reading Michael Grant - Gone 3: Lies, which I'm going to read together with Anna. I'm almost on page 100 (out of 472). So far it's good. My copy has a few holes in it though on the last few pages and the back, because someone at Amazon packed it improperly when I bought it, trying to make holes in the package or something :banghead: (gladly it's only in the excerpt part :P, of the next book). But I didn't notice how bad it was until much later on. Oh well, there are worse things.

I started reading Michael Grant - Gone 3: Lies, which I'm going to read together with Anna. I'm almost on page 100 (out of 472). So far it's good. My copy has a few holes in it though on the last few pages and the back, because someone at Amazon packed it improperly when I bought it, trying to make holes in the package or something :banghead: (gladly it's only in the excerpt part :P, of the next book). But I didn't notice how bad it was until much later on. Oh well, there are worse things.

I wanted to start this on your time so bad, but I just got too tired last night!  That's too bad about the holes :irked:   I hope this book is as good as the other two have been :)

I finished About Sisterland, which I enjoyed but unfortunately it kinda lost its way in the last quarter, downgrading it from 4 stars to 3 stars. Still good, though.

I'm about to start something called The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry. Comparisons to The Time Traveller's Wife, and the beautiful cover (even though it's only a Kindle edition at the moment), drew me in.

I'm at page 104 in Michael Grant - Gone 3: Lies (out of 472 in my copy). I started to read Thea Stilton - Heksen van Fantasia 2: De Heks van Vuur en Vlam (Strega delle Fiamme) alongside it. I hardly ever read two books at once (or more), I find it really difficult to do. However, I need to read my library loans before they're due and I own Lies so this way it feels like I'm making progress towards the library loan goal. Also, Lies is very fast paced and I find I need a little break from it now and then to process all the plot points. The Stilton read doesn't require as much processing so it was nice yesterday to take a little break from Lies and read a bit in the Stilton book. I plan to read more in Lies today and if I hit my goal of at least 200 pages, to then read a bit in the Stilton book again.

Ok I have just finished NYPD4 by James Patterson and keeping with James I am now half way through Truth or Die.  Also just finished Baguette Murder by Harper Lin and keeping with this series will start the Crepe Murder at lunch time.  I have these on my phone so very easy to read when got a spare 10 minutes.

I finished Beetle Boy by M. G. Leonard yesterday, and thought it was great ... definitely one to get my god daughter to read. :)

Today, I've finished listening to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone again, as I thought it was time to revisit the series again, and I've read a lot more of Italian Ways by Tim Parks.  Hoping to maybe finish it off tonight, but definitely tomorrow if not.

I plan to read more in Lies today and if I hit my goal of at least 200 pages, to then read a bit in the Stilton book again.

I'm almost at 40%, so I think we will be good for the day :)

Today, I've finished listening to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone again, as I thought it was time to revisit the series again

Who is the narrator for that?  In the US it is by Jim Dale, who based on the sample, sounds great!  I am thinking of doing the audiobooks while I work on my next project- puzzles!  :P

Who is the narrator for that?  In the US it is by Jim Dale, who based on the sample, sounds great!  I am thinking of doing the audiobooks while I work on my next project- puzzles!  :P

I've got the British versions narrated by Stephen Fry. He's an excellent narrator and very soothing to listen to ... except at the thrilling bits, obviously! :D I have heard a sample of Jim Dale reading the books, and I thought he sounded a bit too excited and almost manic at times, and I would find him quite tiring to listen to, but I guess it depends on what you like. :) I like to listen in the car or while I'm working on my own, as I find it relaxing. I think, basically, I've just been spoilt by the wonderful Mr Fry's narration. :yes:

I'm finding it a bit difficult to get into Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan. I'm sure the story will pick up at some point, but it just seems to be taking it's time about it. Also, the book has the longest continuous paragraphs of any book I've noticed....unless it's because I'm reading a treebook and the layout looks different to the Kindle. :dunno:  Either way I find it quite hard to read and process.....maybe it's my eyes as well, given that I just turned 40. :icon_eek:

Today I bought A Short History of England by Simon Jenkins for only £0.99 on Kindle. It has good reviews, so I'll see how I get on with that.

Also, yesterday I donated two large boxes of books to a local charity shop. I was gutted to lose some of them, as they were practically new (only read once), but I'm not going to read them again, and we are trying to declutter (we always go through a phase of 'decluttering' after watcing Hoarders :D ). I also found my copy of House of Leaves which was up in the loft, so I've put that on the bookshelf to read this year. :boogie: