Your Book Activity - February 2016

chesilbeach

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've decided on the second Jack Caffery book, The Treatment by Mo Hayder, for my next tablet read alongside The Herbalist. While I only gave the first book 3 stars because I felt it had more potential than execution, I'm absolutely loving The Treatment. (Which, in fairness, is hailed as one of the best installments in the series). Hayder has a serious talent for making things seem real.

I also got the Farthing Wood series after a chat with my housemate about them - haven't read them in years but loved them as a child. 

I finally finished All Clear by Connie Willis, the follow up to Blackout. It took me ages to get through as I've been so busy but I loved loved loved both books, so much detail about the Blitz along with a very interesting take on time travel, wonderful characters and a bit of a mystery too. I'm actually sorry to have finished them. :)

I didn't realise you were reading The Stand as well, Anna. I hope things pick up for you soon. :friends3:

Today I bought The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood which is a Kindle Daily Deal. :boogie: It's had mixed reviews, but the premise sounds interesting so I'm hoping I'll be one of those that love it.

Thanks!  Hopefully in a few days, I will be back to my normal reading self :P

I LOVED The Heart Goes Last! 

I just added an audiobook to read along with The Stand.  I chose another Caroline Knapp book, her memoir Appetites, about her years of struggle with Anorexia.  I love Caroline Knapp's writing and was sad today to learn she passed in 2002.

I got some lovely books from Janet and Kay yesterday when we met up ...

Two ( :smile2:) Persephone books:

The Children who lived in a Barn by Eleanor Graham

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey

One English Counties book:

Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier (which has a gorgeous cover)

And a gift token for my Kindle!  

I'm a very lucky lady :yes::D

Kay also lent me the second instalment of Danny Baker's autobiography, Going Off Alarming

I got some lovely books from Janet and Kay yesterday when we met up ...

Two ( :smile2:) Persephone books:

The Children who lived in a Barn by Eleanor Graham

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey

One English Counties book:

And a gift token for my Kindle!  

I'm a very lucky lady :yes::D

Kay also lent me the second instalment of Danny Baker's autobiography, Going Off Alarming

I'm glad you liked them!  :D

I agree - that particular Jamaica Inn cover is gorgeous!  :wub:

I finished Started Early, Took My Dog. I'm glad it's over with, but that doesn't necessarily mean I didn't like it. I just found it...complex and not an easy read.

I've now started Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. :boogie:

I have what should be my very last exam (if I pass) tomorrow. It's in the next town over, so I'm going to pop into the library to see what they have. I know they have A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara, so I'm really looking forward to borrowing that; it's a bigger library than my local one, so they probably have quite a few books from my wishlist. I'm actually more excited about going to this library (haven't been there in a few years) than I am about getting my exam out of the way. :giggle:

I agree - that particular Jamaica Inn cover is gorgeous!  :wub:

Aw, come on, you can't both say that and not provide a link to the cover so we can see it too! Pretty please? :)

It's 41 degrees outside today, and I usually wouldn't even consider walking out the front door in such weather, but I missed a book delivery so of course I had to go out and rescue them from the post office. I received Chris Hadfield's An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth and John Hersey's Hiroshima.

Finished The Treatment. Phew! I feel like a bad person for thoroughly enjoying it (horrified as I was by chunks of it). Mo Hayder is both disturbed and sadistic, but her audience must be too because we enjoy her books! Putting Caffery to one side now as apparently the books go downhill from The Treatment.

Started The Animals of Farthing Wood, enjoying it, and actually brought The Herbalist with me to work to read even though it's a tree-book - I'm not yet sure about it but it's got me sufficiently intrigued that I want to read it quickly.

Payday on saturday, and I'll be choosing another few books to buy for my Irish Counties Challenge.

Publication day for The Silver Tide by Jennifer Williams and I now have a copy on my Kindle (my OCD won't let me buy the large format copy - as it doesn't match the two smaller format books I have from the series - and I don't want to wait until July to read it, so Kindle it is for now, the dead tree copy will follow later in the year!).

Thanks Janet! It is indeed gorgeous.  :wub:

I'm about 1/3 of the way through The ABC Murders.

I read the ABC Murders last year. As usual, it was good reading. I'll bet you can't guess who did it. :)

I am currently reading Ask Him Why by Catherine Ryan Hyde, just started the book.

I read the ABC Murders last year. As usual, it was good reading. I'll bet you can't guess who did it. :)

I bet I can't guess it either!  :giggle: I'm terrible at guessing, so I usually don't bother (that, or I guess everyone at some point, so then I can't actually be wrong ;)).

Over halfway through the book now. :)

Managed to get to the library and came away with:

The Long Song by Andrea Levy. I loved Small Island, so hope this one is as good.

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara. I really look forward to this one.

I'm also about a third through Doctor Sleep....it's getting really good! :readingtwo: