please help! library ebook loans on kindle

anemone

Hi everyone. Me and my sister gave my mum a kindle for christmas. The issue is, she mainly reads in French - and most free ebooks are in English. Now she wanted to borrow some books from the French library. I made her an account, we got to the page where you chose your e-book, and I downloaded it. Now the big joke is that I can open it on our computer, but if I try to copy it onto her kindle, I get an error message saying it's protected. What's the point of borrowing ebooks if you can't put them on your kindle? Does anyone know how to deal with this? We asked the librarian and she said she had no idea (how helpful).  I would appreciate any help.

Install a program called Calibre and add the book into the Calibre library. Once you have done this, plug in the Kindle, right click the book and select "add to device". This should give you the option to convert it to a format that the Kindle will read. Will this remove the DRM? I don't know, but if it is merely a format issue it should work out fine.

@Brian: I alsready have Calibre, and the issue is that when I try to add the book to my kindle, it won't let me. 

@chesilbeach: oh no, does that mean if you have a kindle you wont be able to borrow library ebooks on it, and that if I had a different ebook reader it would work?