What is the best e-book reader ?

Needle

To be fair, chips dipped in anything are not exactly healthy :P

I have had a Kobo for about 3 years and while I don't need to use it often now as I have a Kindle app on my Samsung tablet, it still works fine and was in regular use for well over a year before I got the tablet.

I'm glad to read something good about it. I just can't find good consumer reviews no matter where I look. It woud help to find good and bad reviews  :unsure: What worries me the most is its working longevity. Experts seem to say it's the best on the market right now but they can't really give their opinions on that particular point :)

I recently had the idea of purchasing a new ebook reader! But i really dont have any idea about what I should look for... :( can anyone suggest me a good one? Not a cheap or expensive one, something in the middle :P

( I noticed some topics like this but I couldnt understand what I should pay attention to :/)

Edited by Poet

I have had 2 Kindles and both have proved to be great devices. One thing you do need to consider is where you are planning to get your ebooks from. Although there are ways around it, most devices will only run certain file types.

I have had 2 Kindles and both have proved to be great devices. One thing you do need to consider is where you are planning to get your ebooks from. Although there are ways around it, most devices will only run certain file types.

Thank you for your response! :)

I ve noticed that kinlde cant run epub, that is a type of many e books... so I dont know if I should choose kindle. Also one question: Can you download and read ebooks from other sites than amazon?? Or only kindle's store?

The Kindle will run some other formats that are not their own so you don't have to use Amazon for your books if you don't want to, as long as they are compatible. If they are not compatible tou can install a program called Calibre on your PC (available for free) and convert epub into a format the Kindle will run, such as mobi. As far as I am aware, there is no e-reader device which will run all ebook formats available.

Edited by Brian.

The Kindle will run some other formats that are not their own so you don't have to use Amazon for your books if you don't want to, as long as they are compatible. If they are not compatible tou can install a program called Calibre on your PC (available for free) and convert epub into a format the Kindle will run, such as mobi. As far as I am aware, there is no e-reader device which will run all ebook formats available.

May I ask few more questions? Have you tried reading on a tablet? Is there a huge difference between these two? Is e reader more relaxing? Should I choose an e reader or a tablet, if the most important thing I will use it for is reading???

I had tried reading on a tablet but because the screen is back lit I find it very fatiguing on my eyes after a while. Although some eReaders have a built in screen light it is a lot softer and I don't find it fatiguing at all. Some people can read from a tablet screen without any issues and I know some people who do. Due to the cost involved, if I were buying something for reading, it would be a dedicated eReader.

I recently had the idea of purchasing a new ebook reader! But i really dont have any idea about what I should look for... :( can anyone suggest me a good one? Not a cheap or expensive one, something in the middle :P

( I noticed some topics like this but I couldnt understand what I should pay attention to :/)

I've merged the topics now, as I think your thread has covered the same or very similar queries as the original so will be useful for future reference.  :)

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't realise Sony still made e-book readers. That Sony DPT-S1 seems to be something aimed at a different market - 13" displays are fine to read but bigger than most books so maybe not as comfortable to read as a book.

As much as I hate to say it, Amazon demolished the opposition in the e-reader market with their infinitely better marketing despite locking content. Still have my old Sony though!

The only e-reader I have ever tried is my old Kindle Keyboard (3rd generation) and it's just okay to me.  I do hate the fact the cover isn't in colour though (petty I know!).  As someone who will always pick a paperback (or hardcover for that matter) over an e-book it doesn't get used as much as it probably should which is a shame because I have over 700 books on it.  The fact that I don't use it very often doesn't stop me from buying or downloading free ebooks on to it though!!

I have been tempted to buy a Paperwhite or a different model to see if I would get on better with a newer, more up-to-date e-reader but I can't really justify buying a new one when 1) my current one still works and 2) I don't use it very often anyway.

Similar here. I have a decent Sony model with a 6" screen that works well, is light, displays every format under the sun. I loaded it with out of copyright books from Project Gutenberg and used it for holidays, in place of the usual 3 or 4 books I'd cram into my suitcase. Easy to read by the pool in direct sunlight even. But I've probably used it once in the last 18 months. I just prefer "real" books.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/kobo-aura-one-has-been-sold-out-for-weeks

I have never read from a Kobo but I've been hearing good things about them in recent years. Has anyone read from one? Is a Kobo a viable alternative to the Kindle? 

The only e-reader I have ever tried is my old Kindle Keyboard (3rd generation) and it's just okay to me.  I do hate the fact the cover isn't in colour though (petty I know!).  As someone who will always pick a paperback (or hardcover for that matter) over an e-book it doesn't get used as much as it probably should which is a shame because I have over 700 books on it.  The fact that I don't use it very often doesn't stop me from buying or downloading free ebooks on to it though!!

I have been tempted to buy a Paperwhite or a different model to see if I would get on better with a newer, more up-to-date e-reader but I can't really justify buying a new one when 1) my current one still works and 2) I don't use it very often anyway.

I understand you. I kept my old Kindle until it died before I bought my PaperWhite. I like to think that I bought the best device on the market at the time, especially since I am reading from it on a daily basis, but I see Kobo being praised and popping up again and again. 

Edited by MrCat

When I used my Sony more than now, I was on a "mobile readers" forum - maybe 3 years ago. Kobo seemed to be quite popular with American users then but were budget rather than premium models I think and I think were tied to Barnes and Noble - obviously once marketed overseas I'm sure that tie up is no longer there. They were generally seen as inferior to Sony and Kindle in terms of reliability I think. But that was then.

What's the situation with backlit e-ink readers like the PaperWhite anyway - does the back light not induce eye strain like using an iPad or similar to read from?

Edited by Flip Martian

As far as I can remember reading about my Paperwhite, it has four low light LEDs behind the screen and they project the light in an angle, not directly on the screen. So when you are reading, the light does not go straight into your eyes. That might be the big difference between regular tablets and this device. Also, I don't think the IPad has E-Ink technology. There is also a brightness setting that lets you set the light according to your needs. i'd say that if you are used to using a lamp at night for reading, a backlit e-reader will suit you fine. 

I am not sure if other readers have this , but a great feature of this Kindle is the fact that you can read in the sun. The Kindle Fire for example (and tablets in general of course ) have a glossy screen that reflects light when in bright sunlight but with backlit e-readers you don't have that problem. 

If only they would make a new Kindle with the old keyboard attached to it. I am not very fond of the touchscreen. 

Thanks for clarifying about the light - I didn't mean to suggest the ipad used e-ink at all, I probably wasn't very clear. :) iPads, Kindle Fires, tablets generally, all have that glossy computer type display which does strain the eye after a while.

The joy of e-ink screens as a whole is they are relaxing on the eye and you can read them in the sun - I took my Sony to Aruba one year and read it by the pool in full sunshine. E-ink displays (whether on kindle, Sony or Kobo) were developed to be as easy on the eye as a printed page and every bit as readable as a book. Which is why I never understand people using tablets to read books (its not what they were designed for). E-ink is a wonderful technology, I think. Although seemingly quite restricted to perhaps only 1 main use - reading at length.