Emma b's books 2016

Emmabbooks

April (not all the reviews of all these books on my blog yet  - waiting for publication date)

19.  Into The Black by Rowland White - "the extraordinary untold story of the first flight of the space shuttle Columbia and the astronauts who flew her"  

18.  Long Time Lost by Chris Ewan - thriller racing through Europe to save those under protection

March

17.  Dream Accomplished by Elizabeth Gross - find a dream and follow it, instead of giving into to illness

16.  This is One Moment by Mila Gray - love vs giving up

15.  The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad - glimpses into personal lives.  5* rating from me

14.  Free to be Tegan by Mary Grand - life after a religious cult upbringing.

13.  Lies of the Dead by Shauna Bickley - mystery thriller set in Devon and Cornwall, England

February

12.  The Castaway's War:  One Man's Battle against Imperial Japan by Stephen Harding - Military History and survival story

11.  Code Name Papa: Code Name Papa: My Extraordinary Life while Hiding in Plain Sight by John Murray,Sharon Murray and Abby Jones - memoir of US undercover agent.  5* read  :readingtwo: 

10.  The Girl in Berlin by Elizabeth Wilson - fiction set in the time of Burgess/Maclean disappearance.  Disappointing :(

9.  A Stranger's House by Clare Chase - romantic mystery

8.  The Boy from Hell by Alison Thompson - lots of practical advice on coping with a child with ADHD, or behavioural problems.

7.  Death Comes First by Hilary Bonner - a psychological thriller (clever not frightening) .  Who can you trust?  

January

6.  A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome by Alberto Angela - a fictional stroll through Rome in 115 CE (AD)

5.  The Silent Hours by Cesca Major - French WWII moving novel, based on true event

4.  I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh - A psychological thriller with a slow start, that suddenly takes off and gallops to the end.  

3.  The Anesthesia Game by Rea Nolan Martin - Fun and exciting fantasy, though fantasy is a bit outside my comfort zone

2.  An Invisible Client by Victor Methos - Gripping courtroom drama

1.  The Humans by Matt Haig - A life affirming read, good story and a laugh about what it is to be human.

Best Books from 2015 - that I read.

• A Bargain Struck by Liz Harris - Married life in 1887 Wyoming (historical fiction)
  • Ask Him Why by Catherine Ryan Hyde - How do you judge others (fiction)
  • Baptism by Max Kinnings - 488 pages of non stop action (thriller)
  • Casting Off  by Emma Bamford - Sailing away to adventure and happiness (memoir)
  • Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith - Life in Stalin's Russia.  (historical thriller)
  • Forgive Me by Amanda Eye Ward - A gripping excursion into South Africa's past (historical fiction)
  • Give Us This Day by Tom Avitabile - Fast moving action thriller based in New York
  • House of Ashes by Monique Roffey - Novel loosely based on the attempted coup in Trinidad in 1990 (fiction)
  • How to be Brave by Louise Beech- Uplifting and compelling novel on surviving difficult times - based around true events.  (fiction)
  • I am Nujood, aged 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali - A fascinating, and harrowing, look at the lifes of (some) girls in Yemen (biography)
  • Staying Sharp by Henry Emmons and David Alter - How the brain works, and what you can do to keep it working at full capacity (non-fiction)
  • The Birds by Tarjei Vesaas - Beautiful and thought provoking new translation of classic (fiction)
  • The Ice Twins by SK Tremayne - Gripping psychological thriller.  
  • The Pearl that Broke its Shell by Nadia Hashimi - Two women's lives in different times in Afghanistan (fiction)
  • The War Came Home with Him by Catherine Madison - A memoir from the daughter of a Korean War survivor.
  • You Think You Know Me by Clare Chase - Great thriller based in the London art world.  
Edited by Emmabbooks

Always nice to see a new member start up their own reading log! :smile2: I wish you have fun with it :) 

I noticed you've read I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. Do you read a lot of psychological thrillers, and would you recommend this one? 

Wishing you a great reading year!  :D  :readingtwo:

And really cool that you have your own review blog  :o

Thanks for your comments Shyora.  I find writing a blog makes me think much more about the books I read, and therefore I get so much more out of them.  :smile:

Always nice to see a new member start up their own reading log! :smile2: I wish you have fun with it :)

I noticed you've read I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. Do you read a lot of psychological thrillers, and would you recommend this one? 

Thanks for your comments Frankie.  I only rated I Let You Go 3 out of 5, because the first part was slow to get going, and I felt predictable.  However, then it turned out that it wasn't at all predictable and I got really into it, so much so that I found the few violent scenes too upsetting for me.  

I much preferred The Ice Twins by SK Tremayne (I rated it 5 out of 5) - a great story about a family that relocate to an island in Scotland, that kept me guessing right to the end, and often wondering what I would do in that situation.  

Yes I do enjoy psychological thrillers, as long as they're clever rather than too scary.  

Thanks for your comments Frankie.  I only rated I Let You Go 3 out of 5, because the first part was slow to get going, and I felt predictable.  However, then it turned out that it wasn't at all predictable and I got really into it, so much so that I found the few violent scenes too upsetting for me.  

I much preferred The Ice Twins by SK Tremayne (I rated it 5 out of 5) - a great story about a family that relocate to an island in Scotland, that kept me guessing right to the end, and often wondering what I would do in that situation.  

The reason why I was asking about I Let You Go is because I think I've seen copies of the book at the library and might be interested in reading it :) I'll google The Ice Twins, thanks! :) 

Good to see you liked Catherine Ryan Hyde.  I haven't read Ask Him Why, but have read quite a few of her books.

You do have a variety of genres, I like that you read a lot history too!  We read different periods, but its always nice to see someone reading historical books :)

• 2 weeks later...