Where do you prefer?

BookShelfy91

For new books, I'm fortunate to have easy access to on-line, big-brand and independent book shops.  My favourite, by some way, are the local independents, in particular The Grove Bookshop in Ilkley, and the book shop in Salt's Mill in Saltaire.  I buy most of my paperbacks through them.

Hardbacks are a slightly different issue: they are regrettably simply too expensive to buy at full price through these shops except with the help of book tokens at birthday/Christmas etc.  I thus buy most of them at Waterstone's in Leeds (where I exploit the Waterstone's card, stamp card and occasional discounts to the full) or through Amazon/Book Depository/Wordery depending on cost.

I refuse to buy books through supermarkets, but that's very easy to say as they rarely if ever stock the sort of books I want to buy anyway (but then I don't even look, so they might on occasions).

I love second-hand bookshops: there are so many good books that are simply not available new any more, especially non-fiction (about one-third of my reading), especially if I want the hardback, and I love browsing.  I do, however, find myself using abebooks more and more for specific wants though.

One last mention for a trio of bookshops in London.  There are quite a few worth exploring, but I have a particular fondness for The London Review Bookshop in Bloomsbury and The Folio Society's old member's room (now open to all) just round the corner from there. Aside from a fascinating range of books, TLRB has a brilliant cafe attached, making this corner of London a worthy destination for a morning's browsing, buying and consuming, especially with the British Museum almost immediately adjacent. The third of the trio is Stanford's in Long Acre, which has a selection of travel writing books, guides and maps to die for; again there is an excellent coffee shop attached (not quite as good as TLRB, but better than most).  All three are definitely amongst my favourites.

Edited by willoyd