Where do you prefer?

BookShelfy91

So, I'm wondering where people prefer to buy from, Second hand book shops or big brand stores? In my experience second hand book shops tend to have a wider range on offer and are better if I am trying to find something older that the bigger shops don't have.

What do you prefer?

Shelfy

Given the choice, I would probably go for the second hand book shop. There's just something more romantic about a old bookshop isn't there? Especially, if it's one where the books are piled high and fairly randomly. To me it's the difference between buying a jewel from a jewellers  and digging it up yourself - a silly analogy I know, but the one that comes to mind. Yes, I can go to the big bookshop, or the internet, and get the book I want straight away, but searching for it in a second hand shop - and who knows what else you will find! - just that bit more interesting. 

Then again, the big brand bookshop has a coffee shop inside...

I may have to think about this some more!

I barely ever buy books, I can't afford even the cheapest.  And they're way overpriced here. Second hand shops where I live usually charge about $8-10 for a second hand paperback! :o New books are usually about $40.  I get most of my books from the library. Occasionally I will find a really good deal at a charity shop, but even they're getting pricier.  I have recently discovered some good second hand online bookshops.  I got a hardback that was described as second hand but looks brand new for $4 including postage from the UK.  You couldn't buy a book like that in a shop here for that price, without postage.

That's a tough one!

I love secondhand bookshops because they're cheaper and you can often find out-of-print or hard-to-find books. It's exciting because you never know what gems you'll find!

On the other hand, I love checking out all the new releases in big brand stores. I have a local Dymocks store that's good for new releases and popular books, but their classics section is a little disappointing. It rarely changes. But if I go into the huge Dymocks store in the city, there's a much larger selection, and they always stock the newer editions of classics (you can never have too many copies of some books :P).

But for me, the best purchases in terms of variety (both newer releases and hard-to-find books) and price (around $6 for as-new, recently released paperbacks) are from the book fair in Canberra. And better yet, all proceeds go to Lifeline (a charity for suicide prevention and crisis support).

So...secondhand is best for me, but it's nice to splurge occasionally on a brand new book!

I actually prefer the smaller independent bookshops (although I'd love big independent bookshops, but they often can't afford the square footage nowadays), but if not, it would definitely be the big brand shop.  I have to *really* want a book, or more likely for it to be out of print, for me to buy a second hand book ... I don't know why, but I don't like second hand books generally and I'd always put off reading a second hand book in favour of a new one.  

I also don't like the disorganised chaos of a second hand shop ... most of the ones I've been in have only a vague sense of order, and don't know what they've got in stock, and I can't be bothered to hunt through shelf after shelf to find what I'm looking for.

I prefer the big book shops where I can go straight to the new releases and see what is out for that week.  Most of the supermarkets sell new books now and can usually get them for half price as well, which I like.

After I have looked at the new releases I head for the tables around the shops which have reduced or cheaper books on. I also look for a seat as well so that I can read about the books in comfort before buying.

I tried to go round second hand book shops but to be honest I don't have the patience to sift through them searching for a book. 

I have discovered a couple of second hand book shops around. I am lucky enough to have one just up the road from where we live. I do like some of the big name stores though...I do prefer second hand book shops...something about the smell and just walking into a shop with such a wide variety of different things.

Shelfy

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not that keen on second hand bookshops either, well there aren't that many in my area anyway, although there is a reasonable one in one of the local towns where I have bought quite a few books in the past, as long as they're in reasonable condition.  I do occasionally go to a charity bookshop but they don't have much of a selection now, they've really cut down their book department in the last couple of years which is a shame as they had a really good selection at one time.  I prefer new books, and would rather buy in a proper bookstore, although I do get them from the supermarket sometimes.  I noticed that another branch of Waterstone's in Oxford Street closed down just after Xmas, which now means that London's so-called premier shopping street now only has one dedicated bookshop, as well as a WHSmith.  Sad isn't it? 

I always buy brand new books! Sometimes I exchange them with friends so I end up with olders :P But there not few the times that I borrow books from my local library!

I want my money well spend on books that will last for few years! If I want an older one I gust borrow it :D

If it's books for my permanent collection, I do tend to prefer new books - I tend to get them not long after they're published anyway. I do have some older, second hand books in my permanent collection, though. I love trawling second hand shops for interesting books and authors to try. However, this year I have pledged not to spend a a single penny on books for myself. I can buy books for other people as gifts, but I cannot pay for a book for myself. All books I read this year must either be ones I already have, or are given to me as gifts/swaps/passed along from someone else, or borrowed from the library/another person, or gained for free (review copies/free downloads). It's tough, but so far I've managed to stick to it. I did it a few years ago too, and managed to get through the whole year without buying a single book for myself!

• 3 months later...

I used to buy books often but I have managed to slow down recently. I tend to only buy from big brand bookstores when I have a specific book I am dying to buy. Otherwise I enjoy going to second hand book stores because I can buy a couple without worrying whether I will like them a lot because they didn't cost very much. Strangely, I feel as though I need to love every book I buy new because I don't want to think that I've wasted my money.

Strangely, I feel as though I need to love every book I buy new because I don't want to think that I've wasted my money.

That's how I feel. I've usually either researched a book a fair bit or have already read it and know I love it when I buy it brand new.

My favorite bookstore is this little independent one that has a really well-curated stock of both brand new books and fantastic condition used books. Throw a dart and you'll hit a great book. It has a truly well-read staff (I don't always find that in big retailers) and a fantastic L-shaped porch with comfy rocking chairs where you can relax and read. It's everything a bookstore should be and more.

I have recently made a promise that any books I buy that aren't ebooks have to be from series's that I already have some of. Any new series's that I start have to be just ebooks. Second hand book shops are very helpful with this.

Shelfy

We find a lot of ours at Estate Sales, Library sales or annual Book Fairs. Our local Symphony has a wonderful annual sale, and our local library has a monthly sale. Otherwise Amazon Marketplace is a good place to search all but the newest books. Amazon, in general is far less expensive than brick and mortar stores.

Fortunately, down in New Orleans (only about 50 miles away), there are several large 2nd hand bookstores that keep an interesting selection.

Lots of times I've not been able to find the authors I/we enjoy at a store such as Barnes & Noble....they just are not popular enough. Or, if they do, they only carry one of that author.

I buy most books from Amazon, as Kindle books. It's convenient and the prices are ok. I rarely go into bookshops these days. We don't have a decent one in town, and the places that do have them aren't places I go to very often.

That seems a strange choice of options. There are no second-hand bookstores where I live, there have not been any for about 15 years.

I used to buy a lot from a independent bookstore because they had a big selection and nice staff, but over the years the store has shrunk quite a bit while their collection of expensive decorative items grew. They don't sell any english books anymore and I can't stand the new employee they have.

So now I pretty much use their in-store cafe and buy my books from the chain-store around the corner, which has actually gotten quite a bit nicer since it's start, and though the collection of english books has not grown, at least they have a bigger book selection overall than the other store.

I also buy a lot of my english books from amazon and my eBooks pretty much anywhere else it's cheap (no kindle).

The way things are going with bookshops closing down, I may be going back to Amazon - I do still buy from them occasionally, but given the dearth of bookshops now, and with the ones that are still around not always having a big selection apart from the obvious bestsellers, I might buy more from Amazon.  Yet another branch of Waterstone's closed at the weekend, and there are a couple of bookshops just about within walking distance from where I work, but it's not always possible to get there and back at lunchtime.  There are a couple of independent bookshops not far from where I live (although one of those recently closed) and again it's not always possible to get there at the weekend, one area in particular is almost impossible to park in on Saturday, and the shop isn't open on Sunday.  So I'd much prefer a "real" shop, but it's not always that easy to get to one.

That seems a strange choice of options. There are no second-hand bookstores where I live, there have not been any for about 15 years.

I used to buy a lot from a independent bookstore because they had a big selection and nice staff, but over the years the store has shrunk quite a bit while their collection of expensive decorative items grew. They don't sell any english books anymore and I can't stand the new employee they have.

So now I pretty much use their in-store cafe and buy my books from the chain-store around the corner, which has actually gotten quite a bit nicer since it's start, and though the collection of english books has not grown, at least they have a bigger book selection overall than the other store.

I also buy a lot of my english books from amazon and my eBooks pretty much anywhere else it's cheap (no kindle).

What do you mean they don't sell english books anymore...What do they sell?

• 4 weeks later...

Most of my books (not quite all) are second hand. I have developed a bit of a passion for older books - I buy most of mine from second hand bookshops or charity shops - I'm fortunate in having 3 good second hand bookshops less than an hour away from home and a few I can get to in my lunch break at work in London.

If I can't get out, there's mail order - via Amazon sellers, ebay or Abebooks more often at the moment.

There are not many options where I live so the library is where I get most of my books (and since I usually read classics they always have what I need). I only buy books or authors that I enjoy reading and mostly from book fairs.