Hello from Austria

Emmabbooks

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum - and to forums in general (so learning how to find my way around!)

So far I'm really enjoying reading all your comments about some wonderful books - and wish I could read faster so that I could read more and more.  I'm an avid reader (about 4 or 5 a month), favourite genres being thrillers, history fiction - and well anything I can get engrossed in and preferably learn something from.  

Currently there's a lot of snow outside, so its a great time to curl up and read  :smile: .  

I look forward to talking with lots of you over the coming months.

Bye for now.    

Hi Nollaig and Athena,  Very impressed with 2 thrillers on the go Nollaig!  

Re history, probably the World Wars, but having just read a brilliant fictional account of a day in Rome (A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome by Alberto Angela) I realise I need to open my eyes to other historical periods.  Having read so much Jean Plaidy in my school days - that dates me! - I probably avoid English "Kings and Queens" history.  :blush2:

Some help for a newbie please.

I've added a "quote" from a previous comment on a comment I made on "Girl with a Dragon Tattoo".  My comment probably wasn't very useful either.  I'd like to edit/delete the quote, and possibly my comment, but I can't work out how to do it.   Sorry if I'm missing the very obvious .  Thanks for any guidance.  

Some help for a newbie please.

I've added a "quote" from a previous comment on a comment I made on "Girl with a Dragon Tattoo".  My comment probably wasn't very useful either.  I'd like to edit/delete the quote, and possibly my comment, but I can't work out how to do it.   Sorry if I'm missing the very obvious .  Thanks for any guidance.  

When you have 10 posts yourself, you can edit your posts. Same happened to me. 'Edit' will appear in a very light color next to the buttons 'MuliQuote' and 'Quote'. I see you've got 9 posts, so just post one more thing and you can edit! :)

Hope this helped you. 

Enjoy the snow and your reading!

Edited by Shyora

Hi Emma and welcome to the forum.  I like thrillers too, and historical, just started a book set in the middle of the 12th century which is my favourite period although I like the Tudors and Victorians as well. I also read around 4 or 5 books a month.

We haven't had much snow here, hope it's pretty where you are! 

Have fun finding your way around the forum, there is a section on historical fiction as well as crime and thrillers.

I realise I need to open my eyes to other historical periods.  Having read so much Jean Plaidy in my school days - that dates me! - I probably avoid English "Kings and Queens" history.  :blush2:

Don't dismiss some of the "Kings and Queens" history!  There is Philippa Gregory's great historical fiction series, The Cousin's War.  And also Robert K. Massie writes some wonderful historical books that are easy to read, I've read Peter the Great, Nicolas and Alexandra and hope to read Catherine the Great later this year.

Anyway, welcome (properly) to the forum :)

Hey there and welcome to BCF, Emmabooks!  Historical fiction is probably my favorite of all genres, and if they are turned into mysteries, I'm in heaven! :lol:

Hopefully we can share some great titles with one another.

Don't dismiss some of the "Kings and Queens" history!  There is Philippa Gregory's great historical fiction series, The Cousin's War.  And also Robert K. Massie writes some wonderful historical books that are easy to read, I've read Peter the Great, Nicolas and Alexandra and hope to read Catherine the Great later this year.

Anyway, welcome (properly) to the forum :)

Oh yes Anna, you are completely right!  I have got 6 of Philippa Gregory's books - and probably have read more from the library, and yes - Peter the Great is a fantastic book - not sure I've read Nicholas and Alexandra - going to put that on my "wish list" right now.    

Another great author is Edward Rutherford who wrote London, Ruska and Sarum - all brilliant.

Now I think about it I have read more historical fiction than I realised.  

Another great author is Edward Rutherford who wrote London, Ruska and Sarum - all brilliant.

Now I think about it I have read more historical fiction than I realised.  

:P

Rutherford is one I have been meaning to get it for awhile now.  I want to read Ruska, but I heard it was the weakest of them all?  I don't usually read reviews, but Ruska, compared to Sarum, didn't get many positive reviews.  I don't see how it could be bad though, I've heard such great things about his work.

It was a long time ago that I Ruska and Sarum, so I can't remember how good they were - except that I'm pretty sure Ruska was the first (of the 3 I read), so it must have been good enough for me to get the other two.

Thrilled to find that Audible has Catherine the Great in its library, so as soon as spring arrives (ie snow gone) I will be taking Catherine with me on mountain hikes.  Thank you so much for that recommendation Anna.   :smile: