First Line of Current Book - 2016

bobblybear

New year, new thread. :D

"The gunman is useless" - I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak

Edit: Oh, crud! I messed up the title. Can someone please fix it for me? It should read 2016. :blush2:

Edited by bobblybear

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: Oh, crud! I messed up the title. Can someone please fix it for me? It should read 2016. :blush2:

Done :D

'When Captain James Cook stood on the deck of the Endeavour in March 1770 and felt the hot dry winds filling her sails off Australia's southern coast, he declared that the country's interior would be nothing but desert'.

The Dig Tree by Sarah Murgatroyd

"Anyone living in the United States in the early 1990s and paying even a whisper of attention to the nightly news or a daily newspaper could be forgiven for having been scared out of his skin".

Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

• 2 weeks later...

'I hold Charles Dickens responsible for the death of my father.' 

Might not be accurate, as I've translated these originally English words from Dutch to English, because I'm reading a Dutch library book of John Boyne, This house is haunted. So far it's an exciting read, though I'm not scared (yet?), just curious to find out what is actually going on there. 

Of course it faintly echoes The turn of the screw, but it's still a different story and certainly worth reading so far. I've reached chapter 10. 

• 4 weeks later...

"A boy with a parrot on his shoulder was walking along the railway tracks."

The Final Solution by Michael Chabon

This book features an 89-year-old Sherlock Holmes.  Every time he appears, the author goes on and on about how creaky, decrepit, frail and wobbly he now is.  It's making me a little sad, so I'm having to pretend that this guy isn't Sherlock Holmes at all, just an old, retired no-name detective.  :(

The eleventh apartment had only one closet, but it did have a sliding glass door that opened onto a small balcony, from which he could see a man sitting across the way, outdoors in only a T-shirt and shorts even though it was October, smoking.

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara