2016 Group Read Discussion thread - #1

frankie

It was fun :D We should give it some thought and see what we can come up with.

I keep meaning to send you my copy of the last Malory Towers frankie. I will do it soon .. I doubt I'll read it again and anyway .. I can look out for a copy in my own time but wanted you to read it soon while you can remember the girls etc. I've got an old copy with the spanking left in :D;) 

It was fun :D We should give it some thought and see what we can come up with.

I've been thinking about reading some other Enid Blyton books... And it's coincidental that it's Enid Blyton. I've been thinking I'd like to read some of the mystery series that I never read and therefore appreciated as a kid. The Adventure series, The Secret series, or The Secret Seven series. Or maybe even The Famous Five series although for some reason I'm the least interested in that one. (My personal favorite is The Five Find-Outers series but I've read the book so many times I fear I might not be too enthusiastic about them.)

I'd definitely like it very much indeed if we gave it some thought and perhaps came up with something! :smile2: 

I keep meaning to send you my copy of the last Malory Towers frankie. I will do it soon .. I doubt I'll read it again and anyway .. I can look out for a copy in my own time but wanted you to read it soon while you can remember the girls etc. I've got an old copy with the spanking left in :D;) 

You wouldn't have to part ways with the copy, I would definitely send it back to you if you wanted to lend it to me!  Are there strands of hair from the hair brush in between the pages? :D 

I've been thinking about reading some other Enid Blyton books... And it's coincidental that it's Enid Blyton. I've been thinking I'd like to read some of the mystery series that I never read and therefore appreciated as a kid. The Adventure series, The Secret series, or The Secret Seven series. Or maybe even The Famous Five series although for some reason I'm the least interested in that one. (My personal favorite is The Five Find-Outers series but I've read the book so many times I fear I might not be too enthusiastic about them.)

I'd definitely like it very much indeed if we gave it some thought and perhaps came up with something! :smile2:

The Famous Five and Secret Seven series are both quite long so would be quite a commitment (FF is 21 books and SS is 15), unless we chose just a selection of them to read together, although saying that, I do have them all still on the shelf so an easy option for me. :D

I never read any of the Secret Stories series, but I just had a quick look on Amazon and it looks like they're starting to reissue them later this month, but they may be the politically correct versions rather than the original. I've also never read the Adventure series and the good news is that they were released a few years back (but again may be the PC version), but my library seems to have copies of them.

Would definitely be interested in another read though.  :)  

The Famous Five and Secret Seven series are both quite long so would be quite a commitment (FF is 21 books and SS is 15), unless we chose just a selection of them to read together, although saying that, I do have them all still on the shelf so an easy option for me. :D

Wow, I wasn't aware that there were so many books to the series :D But yeah, I didn't originally mean that we would all commit to reading a whole series, if it was a long one. I thought we could do 2-5 books, or whatever we all decided. And of course if the series is not to someone's liking, then they are of course more than welcome to bow out.

Another idea that just came to me: if we wanted, we could read the first book in all the different series. To contrast and compare. But maybe that isn't all too appealing to most... Yeah, it would be nicer to find a great series and read about the familiar characters for longer... 

I never read any of the Secret Stories series, but I just had a quick look on Amazon and it looks like they're starting to reissue them later this month, but they may be the politically correct versions rather than the original. I've also never read the Adventure series and the good news is that they were released a few years back (but again may be the PC version), but my library seems to have copies of them.

We don't want any PC! My MT copies were PC copies and I was missing half the fun!  :theboss:  (Can we make belief that that is a hair brush and not a baseball bat.)

:lol: 

Would definitely be interested in another read though.  :)

Great! :smile2: I'm open for other suggestions, too. Doesn't have to be Enid Blyton! :D (Although I didn't choose Enid Blyton on purpose. I'd actually forgotten that she was the one who wrote the MT series :blush: )  Although I'd like to say that for some reason I'd like it to be a children's book series.

Wow, I wasn't aware that there were so many books to the series :D But yeah, I didn't originally mean that we would all commit to reading a whole series, if it was a long one. I thought we could do 2-5 books, or whatever we all decided. And of course if the series is not to someone's liking, then they are of course more than welcome to bow out.

Another idea that just came to me: if we wanted, we could read the first book in all the different series. To contrast and compare. But maybe that isn't all too appealing to most... Yeah, it would be nicer to find a great series and read about the familiar characters for longer...

That would be good - try the first few books and see how it goes. I quite like the idea of trying the first book in a few different series to compare too ... basically I'm happy with just reading them all together! :D

We don't want any PC! My MT copies were PC copies and I was missing half the fun!  :theboss:  (Can we make belief that that is a hair brush and not a baseball bat.)

:lol:

Definitely! I'm so glad I (well, my mum really :D) kept most of my books from childhood ... warts and all. :lol:

Great! :smile2: I'm open for other suggestions, too. Doesn't have to be Enid Blyton! :D (Although I didn't choose Enid Blyton on purpose. I'd actually forgotten that she was the one who wrote the MT series :blush: )  Although I'd like to say that for some reason I'd like it to be a children's book series.

I would suggest The Chalet School series by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer, but they aren't in print anymore and are quite difficult to get hold of :( I'd like to stick to children's books too, but happy to see some suggestions if anyone else has any?

That would be good - try the first few books and see how it goes. I quite like the idea of trying the first book in a few different series to compare too ... basically I'm happy with just reading them all together! :D

Yeah, no use reading a series of 21 books if we all disliked it :D We'll see what other people will say: maybe if there's enough interest, we could perhaps do the compare and contrast of the different series, maybe at least on the side? Maybe some people will want to focus on one series and others might like to give them all a try. But let's see if we have enough interest in the Enid Blyton mystery series to begin with :)  

Definitely! I'm so glad I (well, my mum really :D) kept most of my books from childhood ... warts and all. :lol:

Well done Claire's Mom! :D The books of one's childhood are way too precious to get rid of!

I would suggest The Chalet School series by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer, but they aren't in print anymore and are quite difficult to get hold of :( I'd like to stick to children's books too, but happy to see some suggestions if anyone else has any?

Oh man, I love the sound of The Chalet School series (I wikied it) but unfortunately there aren't any copies at the library :( I do like the idea of another boarding school series :blush: 

Do you mean you'd like to join the Malory Towers group read...? We did that last year, I'm afraid :unsure: I bumped up the thread a few days ago to see if anyone might be up for some other series to read together. 

Ooops no I meant if you did another read like that id like to join! Was trying to read the topic and do a couple of other things yesterday so didnt quite make it clear hehe :P

Ooops no I meant if you did another read like that id like to join! Was trying to read the topic and do a couple of other things yesterday so didnt quite make it clear hehe :P

Okay, cool! :D Let us know if you think of any series we might like to read together! :smile2: 

Thanks for the link! I think I've seen it before, but when I saw that the first few titles were Harry Potter and a few other books to do with magic and stuff, I didn't fancy taking a closer look at the rest... I loved the HP books but in general I'm not that interested in magic! But now I was ready to check out the rest of the books :lol: There are a few that will go on my wishlist for sure :smile2: 

One book series that came to mind is the Just William series by Richmal Crompton, but I don't know if anyone else is interested in that? 

(I couldn't remember what the series is called in English, just what it's called in Finnish, and landed at the wiki website for Crompton. Looked at his picture and snorted and thought, he looks like a she! And then read the bio and turned out Crompton was a woman!! I always, always thought she was a man :blush::lol: )

Yes, I would be.  I've never read them, but I did watch a television series based on the books a few years ago and it was excellent.  I'd be interested to read the books if anyone else is. There are a lot of books in the series, but at least the first 12 are in print, so we could certainly make a start on the series and see how we get on, if everyone likes the idea. :)

I'm up for it!! :D :D 

I loved that TV series too Claire .. annoying that they didn't continue with it. I thought it was great. I think I read them as a child .. or some of them. I do get them mixed up with Jennings (no idea why .. boy's stories I suppose) so it could be I haven't but the TV episodes rang bells. Sooo long ago though and no re-reads so most of it has gone :blush2:  

I'd be up for this! I never read them but my brother had two tapes I listened to endlessly. Not sure which ones they were now, can't remember anything about them - so god knows if they were books 1 and 2 or 33 and 34 :D

I had no idea they've been made into a TV series! :D I wouldn't mind seeing a few episodes of that :D

So there's five of us who'd be up for reading the Just William series (at least the first book...). So should we get to it then? I went and got a copy of the first book in the series today. If we shall read the book together, I'll wait for you guys of course :) 

Great! :smile2: Seems like lauraloves and chesil might be getting their copies today/tomorrow. Poppyshake, where did you order your copy from? A bookstore or a library? Just wondering how long it might take you to get it :)

Needing to hear from Alexi still... But the wheels are turning :D