Laura's aka nursenblack Reading 2016

nursenblack

Let's see if I can actually maintain it this year.

Nursenblack's (Laura's) Reading List 2016

I surpassed my 2015 goal of 40 with 48! Yay!

Reading goal 2016: 40

Rating Scale (1-5)

1) Awful. Only fit for a birdcage liner

2)  So so. Will not recommend

3) I liked it okay, but it was lacking in something

4) Enjoyable read. Will recommend

5) I loved it!  Will shout it from the rooftops!

Okay, this physical TBR pile just keeps getting bigger, and I never read from it.  Curse you Kindle!!!  New Years resolution: Read books I own.

TBR Books (Owned-Physical Books)

The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones  Children's

Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen

The Long Fire by Meghan Tifft

Mr Mercedes by Stephen King

The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart by Mathias Malzieu YA

Wild Decembers by Edna O'Brien

Cassandra at the Wedding by Dorothy Baker

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquirel

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein YA

The Game by A. S. Byatt

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare YA

The Future of Us by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler YA

Edge of Dark Water by Joe R. Lansdale

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev  YA

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare YA

The Land of Stories:The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer  Children's

Dark Places by Gillian Glynn

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente  Children's
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs YA
Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted  YA
Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier  YA
The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw
Anita and Me by M. Syal  YA
Jasmyn by Alex Bell
Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey  YA
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb
Kafka By the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Stardust by Neil Gaiman
The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen YA
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause YA
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors YA

Amelia Anne Is Dead and Gone by Kate Rosenfield  YA

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Anthropology of An American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann

The Bloody Chamber (short stories) by Angela Carter  Read some of

Felicia's Journey by William Trevor

Slated by Teri Terry  YA

The Eternal Ones by Kristen Miller  YA

All You Desire by Kristen Miller  YA

Me & Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter

Transgression by Sarah Dunant

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck  YA

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Ransom by Julie Garwood

The Probable Future by Alice Hoffman

The Body in The Library by Agatha Christie

The Mysterious Affair At Styles by Agatha Christie

Heaven by V.C Andrews  YA

Ruby by V.C. Andrews  YA

Long Man by Amy Greene

The Cave, The Cabin & The Tattoo Man by Tim Callahan

Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell

Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson  YA

A Song For Summer by Eva Ibbotson  YA

Griffin's Castle by Jenny Nimmo  Children's

Temptation by R.L. Stine  YA

The Boy In Striped Pajamas by John Boyne  YA

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl Children's

Mrs. Darcy and The Blue-Eyed Stranger (short stories) by Lee Smith

Same Sun Here by Silas House & Neela Vaswani

Wuthering Heights: The Graphic Novel by Emily Bronte, Sean Michael Wilson, John M. Burns

Edited by nursenblack

My reading so far this year:

#15364.jpg

Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2) by Diana Galbadon 

The second book of the Outlander series was as just as enjoyable and thrilling as the first. I could do without some of the political details, but it is a historical book after all, and a well written one at that. The ending definitely leaves me wanted more. (4/5)

#225205404.jpg

The Mistletoe Inn by Richard Paul Evans

Cute and predicable story about a wannabe romance writer who goes to a romance writers conference in hopes of meeting her favorite author.  Kimberly, the main character, happened to be my least favorite.  Her personality really rubbed me the wrong way.  I would have preferred the quirkiness of the "crazy" friend as opposed to the stuffiness of Kimberly.  (3/5)

#316278318.jpg

Armada by Ernest Cline

I began this sci-fi novel without any expectations and really no concept of the plot. I was pleasantly surprised by this imaginative page-turner. Armada is a gamer's ultimate wish fulfillment. I will definitely read Ready Player One and anything else Cline dreams up. (4/5)

293950.jpg

The Rag & Bone Shop by Robert Cormier

I read this after having it recommended by a friend, and I am so happy that I did. This was the first I've read by this prolific YA author, but it definitely won't be the last. Don't let the fact that the story is YA fool you, this novel turns dark very quickly. It's a small book that can be swallowed in one unsettling evening. Fans of the documentary Making a Murderer will quickly find a common and disturbing theme. Read it. (5/5)

51nwvgHf1TL._AA160_.jpg

My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf

My first graphic novel ever, and what a way to begin! My Friend Dahmer is a haunting and enlightening look into the formative teenage years of one of the worlds most infamous serial killers. I think Backderf really does a wonderful job at exposing himself as an insensitive figure in Jeffery Dahmer's life. He plants the seed of pity in our minds and begs us to ask the question, "What if?".  (5/5)

I hope you have a great reading year in 2016, Laura! :smile2: 

Let's see if I can actually maintain it this year.

TBR Books (Owned-Physical Books)

Dark Places by Gillian Glynn
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
The Boy In Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Looking through your TBR pile, I must say these are all great reads, I hope you enjoy them when you get to them! :smile2: 

51nwvgHf1TL._AA160_.jpg
My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf
My first graphic novel ever, and what a way to begin! My Friend Dahmer is a haunting and enlightening look into the formative teenage years of one of the worlds most infamous serial killers. I think Backderf really does a wonderful job at exposing himself as an insensitive figure in Jeffery Dahmer's life. He plants the seed of pity in our minds and begs us to ask the question, "What if?".  (5/5)

This was rather harrowing in a way. It feels kinda odd to have a notorious serial killer in a 'comic book'. Of course it's not a normal comic book, it's a graphic novel of sorts, but it just seems such a weird notion. But I think it worked. I don't remember much about the story itself, but I did like the book. Glad you rated it so highly! 

From your list I really loved She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. I've read it a couple of times.

The only Robert Cormier I have read is The Chocolate War, and I was so blown away by it (I was a teenager at the time like the main characters, so it made quite the impression). Not sure why I haven't read any of his others....I don't think they are that easy to get hold of. Glad you enjoyed his book. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

I hope you have a great reading year. :smile:

• 5 months later...

I haven't post on my reading log since January, but have decided to bring it up to speed from then til now.  Some books do not have written reviews, only ratings.

# 6

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo  (4/5)

23437156.jpg

Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann

6393809.jpg

I've debated over even reviewing this novel, but I feel just giving stars doesn't really sum up my mixed feelings. If the novel had ended half way through or been edited down it could have easily been four or five stars. I loved the poetic prose and the angsty feeling of being on the verge of something important. However, nothing much does happen. And the main character began to grate my nerves with her one or two word responses no matter the situation. At first, I found that a bit mysterious and a result of an overly observant character who would rather watch than comment, but it did lose its charm after a while. I really wanted to love this novel and I almost did. (2/5)

The House at the End of Hope Street by Menna van Praag - A cute and whimsical read (3/5)

15811526.jpg

Life and Other Near Death Experiences by Camille Pagan  - I did enjoy the novel and thought the first was really humorous, but the main character's stubbornness annoyed me. (3/5)

26583370.jpg

Bird Box by Josh Malerman

This horror/thriller was a an absolute wild ride.  I believe this would be loved by even readers who don't like horror.  No guts and gore, just plenty of frightening suspense and the feeling of doom.  (5/5)

18498558.jpg

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RIggs

9460487.jpg

This was an exciting and unique YA fantasy/paranormal novel. It had it all: monsters, shape-shifting, time-loops, people with "peculiar" abilities. The main character, Jacob, believes his grandfather's stories about fighting monsters during the time of the Holocaust is just a metaphor, but after an horrific event, he starts to wonder if the stories are true.
Real vintage photos separate chapters and scenes, which I thought was a brilliant touch, and super creepy. In fact the whole novel feels like another time and place, even when Jacob and his father are in the present. The author doesn't dwell on technology, and Jacob isn't freaking out that he has no WiFi on the island (definitely an enduring quality in a teenager). But it makes it that much easier for him to immerse himself in the past.This novel is worth a read for anyone who loves YA and it's many sub genres. The ending left me wanting the next book. (4/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Normal by Graeme Cameron

23214378.jpg

This novel, told from the perspective of a serial killer, took me by surprise in more ways than one. I really enjoyed some of the changes and events the unnamed killer goes through, but some of the events felt too contrived. Overall, it was an interesting and pretty unique reading experience. (3/5)

Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson

13721341.jpg

I love a good retelling, and this one was an unexpected and enjoyable take on the Bluebeard fairy tale. The story takes place in Mississippi before the civil war, on a exuberantly wealthy plantation, which made for the perfect atmosphere for this southern Gothic tale. It was very reminiscent of Jane Eyre for me, but with an obvious lust and violence. I definitely want read more from this author. (4/5)

Find Her by Lisa Gardner

This novel is a very anxiety producing, thrill ride from start to finish. From the opening paragraphs describing the main character, Flora, being held in a wooden box by her kidnapper, I was hooked and found it really hard to put down. I had never read a novel by Lisa Gardner, but was pleasantly surprised by how well written and enthralling this novel was. My only qualm is detective D.D. Warren. I thought she seemed too hoity toity and not nearly as well developed as Flora. Overall, I thought it was an enjoyable and thrilling reading experience. (4/5)

25644437.jpg

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

This was a beautifully told novel about love, magic, and sacrifice. I'm always drawn to stories about the circus (maybe I was a lion tamer in another life) and sideshow characters. Wonderful and whimsical.  (4/5)

9361589.jpg

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

The Library at Mount Char a fantasy meets horror novel that is truly like nothing I've ever encountered before. This was definitely the weirdest novel I've ever read, but in a good way. Once the story grabbed me, which didn't take long, it wouldn't let go. (5/5)

23363928.jpg

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

I know so many readers love this novel, and it could have been that way for me if not for the ending and a few other reasons.  I have a lot of mixed feelings about the events that happened. The well written characters and readability were all that saved this novel from 1 star for me.
Me Before You had been on my wish list for awhile and the movie motivated me to read it in a hurry. It's definitely promoted as a love story, which it clearly wasn't.

A one sided love story, maybe.Poor Lou was the only one "in love" by the end.  It was a hopeless relationship from start to finish. I am curious to find out what happens to her in the second book despite my disappointment with this one.

(2/5)

15507958.jpg

Edited by nursenblack

Ain't She Sweet by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

I probably would have never picked it up if it hadn't been my library's book club selection because it just isn't my typical read.  A cute women's fiction that was mainly an escapism read. Certain sections really grabbed me, while others were predicable and clinched. Overall a fun summer read.  (3/5)

373606.jpg

Currently reading A Mother's Reckoning:Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue Klebold.

Station Eleven was one of my favourite reads of last year. :smile:

I think Bird Box is on my wishlist, as I recognise the title. I need to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children at some point. I'm not a massive fan of YA, which is why I have hesitated, but I'm sure I will read it at some point.

Shame you didn't like Me Before You. I loved it, even though it's not normally a genre I read.

I think Bird Box is on my wishlist, as I recognise the title. I need to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children at some point. I'm not a massive fan of YA, which is why I have hesitated, but I'm sure I will read it at some point.

Bird Box was one of my reads-of-the-year last year. Really glad you enjoyed it, Laura. Bobbly, you should check it out.

I'm gonna check out a couple of the other 4 and 5 star books on this list of reviews!

Shame you didn't really enjoy Me Before You. I look forward to reading the sequel and finding out what happens in it (my copy should arrive early next month).

Even though I didn't like it I still want to read After You for some reason. 

Station Eleven was one of my favourite reads of last year. :smile:

Shame you didn't like Me Before You. I loved it, even though it's not normally a genre I read.

Read Miss Peregrine's before the movie comes out!

I kinda felt betrayed by Me Before You.  I don't normally read that genre either, but since the movie was coming out I wanted to read it first.  I won't watch the movie now though.

Bird Box was one of my reads-of-the-year last year. Really glad you enjoyed it, Laura. Bobbly, you should check it out.

I'm gonna check out a couple of the other 4 and 5 star books on this list of reviews!

I'm not sure if you'd enjoy The Library at Mount Char because it's so bizarre, but it is amazing.

I'm not sure if you'd enjoy The Library at Mount Char because it's so bizarre, but it is amazing.

Hahaha that's one of the two that went on my list! It does sound amazing. I like some bizzare stuff - if makes sense within it's own bizzare context, then it's fine. It's when stuff is senselessly bizzare and inexplicable or unexplained that I don't like it. 

• 3 months later...

I haven't been on here in awhile and I desperately need to update my list from summer until now.  Some have reviews, others not.

A Mother's Reckoning:Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue Klebold  -An utterly brave and insightful memoir. Sue Klebold doesn't shy away from the truth of the destruction her son, Dylan, did, and that is why it is a very courageous book. I think all parents should read this, even though as a parent it scared the "you know what" out me. All proceeds go to charity, but I truly believe she deserves some profit. (5/5)

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah -The Nightingale is a heartbreaking and also uplifting story about two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, living in Nazi occupied France during WWII. Each sister struggles and battles against the enemy in their own way. But this novel is so much more than that, it is epic.
I heard about this book everywhere and finally decided to see what all the fuss was about, and I'm so happy I did. This beautiful story actually made me cry, which I never do when reading, especially toward the end. If you plan on reading this, move to the top of your to read pile and grab a box of tissues. You won't regret it.(5/5)

Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen -I enjoyed the magic and whimsy in the lives of the characters at Lost Lake. Everything about this made it a perfect book to read in the summer, while sitting on the porch drinking an ice tea. This wasn't my favorite from Allen, though I did like it. However, her storytelling will always keep me coming back for more (3/5)

Sinful Cinderella by Anita Valle - I'm a fan of fractured fairy tales, and this bite sized novella really delivered. I thought it was entertaining and had a pretty clever twist as well. I definitely would like to read more by Valle. (4/5)

The Girls by Emma Cline -  I enjoyed this book, and was leery of the hype.  I think it was mislabeled as a thriller though.  I thought it was literary fiction that dealt with a dark subject.  The writing is gorgeous and worth a read if you can put expectations behind you. (4/5)

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flag -I absolutely adore the movie, so I finally read the novel. Even though I thought it was quite different, I still really enjoyed it. It's a wonderful summer read, though it spans all seasons. It also includes recipes of the food mentioned in the novel. (4/5)

The Fireman by Joe Hill- I've debated on how to rate this novel for a couple of days now, but the more I think about it the more I like it. There were parts that dragged a bit and needed editing down, but at the same time the story and most of the characters were brilliant. I thought the symptoms of the apocalyptic virus were really unique, and the hostility from the uninfected people reflects the world's past and present in a lot of ways.  I'm already wanting another Joe Hill novel! (4/5)

The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian -I really enjoyed the book. I loved the pace and seeing how each character was affected by what happened at the bachelor party. I actually enjoyed how it made me a bit uncomfortable, but wasn't too over the top. I truly felt like a fly on the wall, and not a whole lot of writers can achieve that. I'm definitely going to read more by Bohjalian. (4/5)

The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart by Mathais Malzieu - Lovely fairy tale like story (4/5)

I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid -Wow! I devoured this book. This is the kind of twisty, mind altering book that you can't really say a whole lot about without revealing too much. I lost sleep over this book, and I can't stop thinking about it. Definitely one of my favorite books I've read this year. (5/5)

There Will Be Lies by Nick Lake - Interesting YA, but a bit predictable. I think it could have worked better if the Dreaming chapters were edited down a bit. A fun read overall. (3/5)

Little Girls by Ronald Malfi -I tore through this creepy, gothic novel. Very atmospheric with the perfect amount of shock, awe, and eww. Perfect way for me to get a head start on spooky reads for the season. (4/5)

Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh - Not a whole lot happens until the end, but it doesn't really need too because it's enough to learn about odd Eileen. It was deliciously dark and weird. I think it's up for the Man Booker Prize.

The Cloud of Unknowing by Thomas Cook - I was pleasantly surprised by this psychological mystery.  (4/5)

The Widow by Fiona Barton (3/5)

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman- I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but I was disappointed by this novel. After so much praise I expected to love it or at least really like it. Sadly, I thought it was just okay.
The story was pretty melodramatic and emotionally manipulative, and the writing was mediocre. Basically it was as if Nicholas Sparks and Hallmark Movies had an Australian love child.
The book does bring up some interesting subjects to discuss though, which is the only thing that saves it for me. I'm not saying it was horrible, just not my cup of tea.(2/5)

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lepena - This was a fast paced suspense that kept me turning the pages. A lot of twists and turns that surprised me.  Apparently this author normally writes literary fiction and this was her first suspense, so bravo for her. (4/5)

Roll Them Bones by David Niall Wilson - This was a spooky, but fairly safe Halloween novella that I read to get me in the mood...for Halloween. I thought it was reminiscent of old scary short stories that are told around campfires, but in novella length (3/5)

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis - I'm so glad I finally read this novel. I'm a fan of the movie and think it made me appreciate the book even more. This is a brilliant satire that is definitely the most graphic novel I've ever read. I don't think I could really recommend it to everyone, just certain readers. I literally read sections with my head slightly turned and my eyes almost close because it was so gruesome. But if you are a certain reader that's used to horror, then go for it. (4/5)

The Last Star by Rick Yancey - I really looked forward to this last book of the trilogy and I wasn't disappointed. I thought it was fast paced and gripping. There were some things that I wished would have been done differently, but I understand them. Overall, an enjoyable book and great trilogy. (4/5)

• 1 month later...

A Mother's Reckoning:Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue Klebold  -An utterly brave and insightful memoir. Sue Klebold doesn't shy away from the truth of the destruction her son, Dylan, did, and that is why it is a very courageous book. I think all parents should read this, even though as a parent it scared the "you know what" out me. All proceeds go to charity, but I truly believe she deserves some profit. (5/5)

I've also read the book and I agree with your review on it. I think some people have been really harsh on Sue. It's like if she cries and shows emotion, people will think what does she have to cry about, her son's the killer. And if she doesn't cry and doesn't try to explain things, people think she's cold and calculated. Or maybe it's just how people view the parents of mass killers in general. I just don't know how she has the courage to go on. 

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lepena - This was a fast paced suspense that kept me turning the pages. A lot of twists and turns that surprised me.  Apparently this author normally writes literary fiction and this was her first suspense, so bravo for her. (4/5)

I have reserved this book from the library, I hope to like it! :)