What are you listening to?

Kylie

The Holographic Principle was released on September 30 - a year ago now, they were recording ^^ Generally, Epica releases a new album every two years - there were three years between Design Your Universe and Requiem for the Indifferent, but that's the only exception. Simone went and had a baby in between Requiem for the Indifferent and The Quantum Enigma, she was even breastfeeding as they recorded The Quantum Enigma :D  The next album will probably be released in 2018. 

This tiny interview's quite funny - especially when Simone describes a nightmare that's apparently common for musicians, where the band plays a new song she doesn't even know and she has to improvise: http://loudwire.com/epica-simone-simons-mark-jansen-would-you-rather/

The Holographic Principle is a great album and the acoustic versions are awesome. I don't know how you were with the other albums, but typically with Epica, I don't like the new album the first time I hear it. I get overwhelmed, because there is just too much. But on the second or third listening the love grows, and after all these months I still discover new things about the songs. Let me know how you like it!

21 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

The Holographic Principle was released on September 30 - a year ago now, they were recording ^^ Generally, Epica releases a new album every two years - there were three years between Design Your Universe and Requiem for the Indifferent, but that's the only exception. Simone went and had a baby in between Requiem for the Indifferent and The Quantum Enigma, she was even breastfeeding as they recorded The Quantum Enigma :D  The next album will probably be released in 2018.

Wow, that's pretty unique :). Good to know. I think what happened is that I normally check for new albums about once a year, usually in September, which is a little while before my birthday. It must not have been up for pre-order yet on the site I looked at, and thus I missed it. Shame though, it would've made a nice birthday gift (my birthday is in October). Nice to know there might be a new album in 2018 :).

This tiny interview's quite funny - especially when Simone describes a nightmare that's apparently common for musicians, where the band plays a new song she doesn't even know and she has to improvise: http://loudwire.com/epica-simone-simons-mark-jansen-would-you-rather/

Thanks for that :), that was a nice interview!

The Holographic Principle is a great album and the acoustic versions are awesome. I don't know how you were with the other albums, but typically with Epica, I don't like the new album the first time I hear it. I get overwhelmed, because there is just too much. But on the second or third listening the love grows, and after all these months I still discover new things about the songs. Let me know how you like it!

I feel the same way about their albums! I always thought that was just me lol. Though I do feel that way about multiple bands with their albums, sometimes the first time it's too much to take in so I like it better upon relistening several times.

3 minutes ago, Alexander the Great said:

@chesilbeach I want to listen to classical music, but I never know where to start :( 

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but how I started was to find some music I liked in films and look it up on IMDB, then start from there.  I've also tried compilation classical albums to listen to a mix of composers and I've found I've got a preference for piano and choral pieces, so I try and search for those and make a note of any recommendations I come across.

On 30.4.2017 at 10:30 AM, Athena said:

I think I have a slight preference for female singers if I really had to choose.. I don't know what that says about me!

That you're the exception to the rule... Or maybe my theory was unfounded to begin with :D

On 1-5-2017 at 9:39 AM, frankie said:

That you're the exception to the rule... Or maybe my theory was unfounded to begin with :D

I asked my best friend and he also seems to prefer female singers - and my best female friend prefers male singers, so there might be something to it! Of course it really depends on the person :)

I got a bit sidetracked by the new Ayreon album, because Simone Simons (as the Counselor) and Floor Jansen (as the Biologist) (and plenty of others) have parts on it. I really love it and even bought the cd. The entire idea of this long-running epic metal/rock opera is awesome and I will definitely also check out the other albums.

I'm back to my Graspop training now. I put Rammstein and Tarja on my usb earlier today to listen to it in my car.

Currently, I'm listening to Tarja's "Demons in You", ft Alissa White Glutz, who was with The Agonist and is now the lead singer for Arch Enemy.

As I'm typing this, the next song started - "No Bitter End", also by Tarja. I really like this one!

Edit: I can't stop listening to this song.

Edited by Alexander the Great

On 1.5.2017 at 11:18 PM, Alexander the Great said:

I asked my best friend and he also seems to prefer female singers - and my best female friend prefers male singers, so there might be something to it! Of course it really depends on the person :)

:D   If only the English department allowed me to do my thesis on this topic, I'd get my Master's in no time!! 

• 1 month later...

I can't remember when I've listened to Michael Jackson the last time.... It's been a while! I was a fan when I was a kid. 

It's funny how back in the day I didn't know what the lyrics were to some of his songs and even if I did, I wouldn't have known what they meant. For example this particular song: it's only now that I understand it :D

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:26 PM, WormBoy said:

A lovely song from a very lovely woman. Nora has always been my crush. :)

She has a lovely voice. I'm sure if I was male, I'd be half in love with her myself :blush:

This is a very sweet song by her from the Miss Potter movie.

On 7/14/2017 at 4:54 PM, poppy said:

A fellow kiwi of Lorde's with a huge talent.

Oh my! This is definitely a great find! Thank you very much for sharing, poppy! I may have to check out her other songs as well. :)

5 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

Oh that's an old one!  Whatever happened to Tanita?

I know almost nothing about her, but I absolutely love this song.

(ps. just looked her up on wiki and she's still active, released a new album in 2016)

Edited by poppy