How much do you remember?

angerball

... I'm tempted spend my whole Saturday morning in bed with the man who made husbands jealous. bliss!

:) I had to re-read that post to make sure for myself it was actually a book title and not the actual man! :smile2:

I'm thinking of writing a small review for each book I read, or just making some kind of note about important plot points, so that it helps me remember. I mean, some books are easily forgotten, but it bothers me when I know I have really enjoyed something, but I can't for the life of me, remember why.

You should do reviews in an LJ or something! That's what I do now and I love reading back over it - even though it's only been going for 20 months!

bagpuss_books if anyone wants a look - it's not that exciting but I like it!

I actually remember quite a lot about a book even after years since reading it. Mainly plot but sometimes characters too.

The ironic thing is, as I write so many essays, I find it really hard to remember actual quotes! :smile2: In an exam, I once made up an entirely new passage of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and lord knows what my exam versions of Pip and Jane Eyre ended up saying...

I'm thinking of writing a small review for each book I read, or just making some kind of note about important plot points, so that it helps me remember. I mean, some books are easily forgotten, but it bothers me when I know I have really enjoyed something, but I can't for the life of me, remember why...

That's how I got started with my reviews blog, On the Shelf - I've now been reviewing all the books I read for just over two years now and I love it. :smile2:

You should do reviews in an LJ or something! That's what I do now and I love reading back over it - even though it's only been going for 20 months!

bagpuss_books if anyone wants a look - it's not that exciting but I like it!

I joined LJ recently but haven't posted anything yet. Good idea - I will probably use that to post my thoughts/reviews. Is bagpuss_books on LJ? I did a search for it but couldn't find it. :smile2:

That's how I got started with my reviews blog, On the Shelf - I've now been reviewing all the books I read for just over two years now and I love it. :)

Thanks for the link. I will look into it. I really need to do something - not only to remember what I've read, but also to improve my writing style. I find I always use the same phrases to describe books; I'd like to be able to write something a bit more expressive and helpful! :)

I joined LJ recently but haven't posted anything yet. Good idea - I will probably use that to post my thoughts/reviews. Is bagpuss_books on LJ? I did a search for it but couldn't find it. :)

I hope this link will work :)

Although it says bagpuss_books with the underscore, in the address it comes up as a dash for some reason, which is probably why you didn't find it.

(It's not very exciting!). :smile2:

(It's not very exciting!). :(

You are too modest, Janet! It's lovely! :D Is that the paid Live Journal account? I love the colours, and the Grommit avatar. :D I only have the free Live Journal account, but I should still be able to do something similar. Of course, learning how to write reviews is another story altogther.... :)

You are too modest, Janet! It's lovely! :D Is that the paid Live Journal account? I love the colours, and the Grommit avatar. :D I only have the free Live Journal account, but I should still be able to do something similar. Of course, learning how to write reviews is another story altogther.... :(

Thanks. :)

No, it's just the freebie one. I have a paid journal that I use for personal stuff but I wanted a separate one for books. It's really not difficult to customise it and there are a few nice styles on the free account.

The layout of mine is called 'Haven' and the theme is 'Jerilisien'. There are lots of different themes/colours to choose from though.

As for reviews - it's your journal so just write what you think. :D

I have a template in Word that I use and then I just make a pic of the book cover and upload it to Photobucket and insert it into the template, type my review and paste it into LJ. It's all in the LJ coding (can't remember the proper word) so it's quite simple once you've done a few.

The Gromit avatar is something I made from a picture I came across by Googling 'Gromit reading' - you are welcome to copy it and use it if you want. Obviously the copyright is Nick Park's and not mine!

I don't mean to sound presumptuous because you probably know how to customise your LJ, so sorry if the above sounds a bit patronising, but if you want any help, just PM me.

I have a template in Word that I use and then I just make a pic of the book cover and upload it to Photobucket and insert it into the template, type my review and paste it into LJ. It's all in the LJ coding (can't remember the proper word) so it's quite simple once you've done a few.

HTML i'd think :(

Well for me the amount i remember is usually dependant on how "into" the book i get, for example i remember very little of books i read in school as i did not enjoy most of them, but i remember pretty much all the main characters from nineteen eighty four because it gripped me.

I think I don't remember anything, then I am talking to someone about the book and it all comes flooding back. For some bizarre reason, I remember the bad books better. x

I tend to either forget the names of characters completely or mix them up. Then there are certain books which I know I absolutely loved but for the life of me I can hardly remember what happened or in which order things happened. That is something which really irritates me. :(

• 7 years later...

I usually remember things about the general plot of the book or a particular part of it that I found interesting. I sometimes don't remember much on top off my head, but will recognise the book when I read it again and usually then things come back to me (either before or while I read them). Sometimes I remember names pretty well, sometimes I don't. It really depends on the book to be honest, and my state of energy when I read it.

I'm appalling with my memory (for books I have read). Sometimes, I can forget how a book ended several days after I finish it. :blush2:  I think it's because I don't tend to think much about a book once I'm finished (unless it really sticks with me)....I'm usually more interested in what I'm about to start reading.