Shelfari to close

Janet

It doesn't come as any surprise to me (or to anyone that uses it), but Shelfari is to close - or as they put it, merge with Goodreads.  Since Amazon took over Goodreads (and already owned Shelfari), the site has been maintained less and less, so this was inevitable.

For anyone who only uses Shelfari, there are instructions of what to do to save your books to a new account at Goodreads here:)

I can't remember my librarything username or login!  :roll:

I just found you, Michelle, to see if I'm listed as your friend, but I don't  think it works like that.  

Edit:  I found them - but it appears I'm not your friend on there!  :o   I haven't used the site for years now!

Edited by Janet

I hardly even use Goodreads, let alone Shelfari. I yoyo-ed between the two sites over the course of a few years, for what little use I did get out of them, and only in the last year have started using Goodreads as a way to gauge whether books are worthwhile or not. That's its main purpose for me really.

I have a lifetime account on LT, but I stopped using it. I preferred GR. LT didn't have some of my Dutch books, and at the time there didn't seem to be a way to add them (I couldn't find it, at least). They also often had different editions than the ones I had which annoyed me. I did like that you could rename books for yourself and edit some of the data. GR isn't perfect though, I use it, but it's not the main way I keep track of my reading.

I have a lifetime account on LT, but I stopped using it. I preferred GR. LT didn't have some of my Dutch books, and at the time there didn't seem to be a way to add them (I couldn't find it, at least). They also often had different editions than the ones I had which annoyed me. I did like that you could rename books for yourself and edit some of the data. GR isn't perfect though, I use it, but it's not the main way I keep track of my reading.

Funny, I'm the other way round.  I use LT all the time, but haven't been on GR for years.  Primarily use it to catalogue my books, which I find much more useful on LT, but also belong to one or two of the more active groups.

Edited by willoyd

I made an account on Shelfari just this year, but it didn't add anything for me. It was basically just another website to keep track of my books - I keep a list on tumblr and I'm much more active on Goodreads. 

I deleted my account when I heard they were about to close - everything on there was already on my Goodreads account anyway.