Anne of Green Gables Reboot

Kylie

A new 8-episode series of Anne of Green Gables is going to be made this year (to be aired in 2017). Link here.

When I first saw the headline I was hoping it meant they were doing another miniseries with the original cast from the Megan Follows version, but alas it is not to be. :( 

For me, Megan Follows will always be the best Anne.  :wub: But I would never write off another adaptation without first seeing it, so let's say I'm tentatively looking forward to it.

I couldn't agree more with everything you've said, Kylie.  The television series with Megan Follows was perfect ... I will be very trepidatious about watching a new adaptation, but who knows, it could bring new life to an old favourite.  Oh, just thinking about the original version warms my heart, I loved it.  I'll have to dig out my copy and watch it again I think.

• 2 months later...

In general terms I would agree about not trying update a much loved novel just to be different, but I always enjoy any Jane Austen film, or TV series. Perhaps this is because there have only been subtle adaptations, nothing too radical yet. However apparently there is a modern day Pride and Prejudice coming out in the summer.

In general terms I would agree about not trying update a much loved novel just to be different, but I always enjoy any Jane Austen film, or TV series. Perhaps this is because there have only been subtle adaptations, nothing too radical yet. However apparently there is a modern day Pride and Prejudice coming out in the summer.

I'm so excited about this!  I've been reading the other modern retellings that The Borough Press have published (Northanger Abbey was great, Emma I didn't like much and still have Sense and Sensibility to go), but Eligible (the P&P retelling) is written by Curtis Sittenfeld who I think is a fantastic author and I can't wait to get my copy.  The Kindle edition is due on 21st April, and I'm seriously tempted to buy it despite it's currently whopping £9.99 price, as there is no way I'll have the patience to wait for the paperback in 2017!

• 4 months later...

I adore Anne of Green Gables; it's one of my absolute favourites.  But whilst I love the idea of bringing it to a new generation nothing will ever beat the original 1985 version - Jonathan Crombie  (such a shame he passed away last year) is and always will be Gilbert Blythe *swoon* and yes, Megan Follows made the perfect Anne Shirley.

I actually came across a version I had never seen before on television just the other day with Martin Sheen as Matthew and it was just wrong.  So very, very wrong.

I adored Anne as a a child, and devoured almost everything LMM ever wrote, with the exception of the volumes of her journals (which simply weren't readily available to me at the time). The Megan Follows tv movies, though not exactly book-accurate past the first episode or so, wonderfully translated the atmosphere of the books onto the screen. I can see why they wouldn't make a new show with Follows now, as she's probably past the age Anne is in even the last of the books, which focus on the lives of her teenaged and adult children, but she will always be Anne to me. That said, I remain open minded and would love to see how a new cast would do in the roles, as well as how a new series would be scripted. 

I adore Anne of Green Gables; it's one of my absolute favourites.  But whilst I love the idea of bringing it to a new generation nothing will ever beat the original 1985 version - Jonathan Crombie  (such a shame he passed away last year) is and always will be Gilbert Blythe *swoon* and yes, Megan Follows made the perfect Anne Shirley.

I actually came across a version I had never seen before on television just the other day with Martin Sheen as Matthew and it was just wrong.  So very, very wrong.

I saw that the Martin Sheen version was on television yesterday, and was tempted to give it a go ... I'm glad I didn't now! I wish someone would do a lovely cleaned up version of the Megan Follows for broadcast, as it was just lovely, but my DVD version looks a bit rubbish on an HD television now, but other things from around the same time that have been converted to digital look great.

I wish someone would do a lovely cleaned up version of the Megan Follows for broadcast, as it was just lovely, but my DVD version looks a bit rubbish on an HD television now, but other things from around the same time that have been converted to digital look great.

That would be amazing and I would certainly buy it again.  My version of it is actually the German Region 2 version because I couldn't find a British one anywhere without paying way over the odds for it.  It still works perfectly fine (although like you say it's not the greatest quality) but I do have to remember to turn the subtitles off as it automatically plays with them on.

Edited by Autumn