Essex - [alternative] Flambards by K M Peyton

Janet

061-2015-Nov-28-Flambards_zpsdvseoqq7.jp

Flambards by K M Peyton

The ‘blurb’

When Christina is sent to live in the grand country house, Flambards, she doesn't know what to expect. Once there, she meets two young men, Mark and Will, trying to cope with their bad-tempered father. She also discovers a passion for horse-riding and a love for life in the country. As time goes by Christina begins to embrace her new life and all the social engagements that it involves, but with both brothers vying for her attention Christina knows it's just a matter of time before she has to choose . . .

The choice for Essex was The Turn of the Screw by Henry James, and as I’ve already read it I selected this as an alternative.  I didn’t really want another children’s book but there didn’t seem many to choose from (I could have chosen Curtain by Agatha Christie, but as I’ve listened to lots of those and plan to listen to more, I didn’t want to select another by her).

I loved the TV series Flambards which was broadcast when I was 13 (and I’m sure anyone who remembers it has instantly got the haunting music in their head now – I know I did whilst I was reading it!) but I didn’t remember much about it really part from the aeroplane element! 

Christina has lived with various relatives since the death of her parents when she was five years old.   In her early teens she is sent to live with her bad-tempered Uncle Russell and his two sons, Mark and William at their run-down country estate. Although she is sad at leaving her Aunt behind she determines to make the most of things.   On arrival at Flambards she is initially scared of her Uncle who is disabled following a riding accident.  He is passionate about horses and hunting – a passion he shares with his oldest son, Mark and is determined that Christina will learn to ride.  William, on the other hand, despises horses – his love lies in a different area altogether –flying machine. 

It is understood (if not by Christina herself!) that Christina will eventually marry one of her cousins, thus ensuring that her inheritance can be used for the maintenance of Flambards. Both boys compete for Christina’s attention but which one, if either, will win her affection?

This was a quick read.  I’m not a fan of horses (they scare me after being bitten by one when I was about nine) but this book is more than just a story about horses so there was enough to keep me interested and I think this would have been the case even if I wasn’t so fond of the TV adaptation. Due to the hunting element it definitely has a country feel about it, but I’m not sure it really gives a feel for the county of Essex, but nevertheless it was enjoyable and it made me wish I’d read it as a child, I’m sure I’d have loved it then.   :)

Like you, I can only remember the music (which came back straightaway, and yes it's very distinctive and creepy) and something about planes, I don't remember anything about horses.  Looked up the series on IMDB and it was filmed in Yorkshire, Skipton in fact.