SylviaW

Hello, I'm new to this site having belonged to another Book Group on a site that is closing down. I am 68 and have loved reading since a child though had to have a break whilst being a mum to four sons in the 1970s and 1980s. We have recently moved from North Staffordshire to Suffolk and loving it so far. Looking forward to exploring the site when I have time ....

SylviaW

Hi. I'm an online friend of Sylvia and here for the same reason and should have introduced myself when I joined a couple of weeks ago. I'm a retired teacher and live in Tasmania although born and bred in Yorkshire. I like good crime novels, biographies of interesting people in the past and social history.  

Welcome Sylvia, I have three children so know what you mean about not a lot of time to read, it gets easier the older they get in some ways but then you just become a chauffeur! :D

My parents moved to Suffolk nearly 11 years ago and have never regretted it, it's a much slower pace of life to what they were used to before and are surrounded by beautiful countryside and coast. We love to visit. :)

Hello and thank-you for all your warm welcomes! :smile:

I started off reading books by Rosamund Pilcher, Maeve Binchy, Joanna Trollope but now read novels by a wide range of authors and especially enjoy those set in different countries which enables me to learn more about their cultures and way of life. A few of those authors include Adriana Trigiani (loved her Big Stone Gap series) Khaled Hosseini (The Kite Runner), Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche.

I also enjoy JoJo Moyes, Kate Atkinson, Joanne Harris and Elizabeth Buchan. I keep a little notebook of authors and their books I've read, just to remind me!

Charliepud, the main reason we moved to Suffolk, (nr Bury St Edmund's) was to be nearer to our eldest son and wife who gave us our first grandson last July. They live in Essex so it's a journey we can do there and back in one day. We moved up to North Staffordshire 33 years ago from the south due to a work move but I hankered to get back down south and at long last here we are, actually living in the county of my ancestors!

Welcome here :)!

I've got books by a few of the authors you mention, but I haven't read them yet. I did read The Book Boy by Joanna Trollope and The Copper Beech and Evening Class both by Maeve Binchy. All of which I thought were nice enough but not brilliant. I do intend to try other books by these authors.

I hope you enjoy it here.

:welcomeboard:  Just saying hello Syliva. I do hope you enjoy it here....lots of great people around.

Hi. I'm an online friend of Sylvia and here for the same reason and should have introduced myself when I joined a couple of weeks ago. I'm a retired teacher and live in Tasmania although born and bred in Yorkshire. I like good crime novels, biographies of interesting people in the past and social history.  

:welcomeboard: ....and hello to Jean too...have fund finding your way around.

• 3 weeks later...